Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Pass The Butter, Please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pass The Butter, Please! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  04:45:32 AM  Show Profile
There is a great article on butter in the new issue of MJF on page 34 by Dr. Janet Starr Hull, PHD, CN. Lots of great info on the history of butter and the benefits, too. I was very glad to see this in a magazine. I wish she could have it put in some of the "health" magazines, too.

So thank you Mary Jane, for putting that great article in your magazine and from a doctor, too. Who would have thought!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  05:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
I agree Kristin. I too was so glad to see a professional finally said - BUTTER IS OK. I admit it, I have always been a butter lover.

A blockage in my neck and heart irregularities (7 or so years ago) went away because I changed my eating habits; I gave up all processed foods and have since eaten only natural foods. I did not give up butter though. Well, ok... I still eat potato chips but just regular nothing flavored. A gal's gotta have some fun!

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  06:02:06 AM  Show Profile
My step mother is a dr, and dad a nurse......they buy real butter!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  06:39:21 AM  Show Profile
How can you tell its real butter? I saw the article also, went to the grocery store and there are so many that say butter but how do I know which one is good. Many said vegetable oil was in it, and I thought that was not good for you. So if you girls know a good brand you can help me out with I would be grateful. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:41:18 AM  Show Profile
Real butter will be the most expensive. Ingredients for real butter should be- cream, salt (if you buy salted butter) and sometimes annato (a natural color enhancer) The price is well worth the flavor to me! We use Tillamook, because it is local for us.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:51:02 AM  Show Profile
If you have a Costco nearby, they sell real butter and it is reasonably priced. We don't have local dairies anymore (the last one closed last spring), but Costco, even though large, is a NW company and is relatively local for us.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, it's important to check the ingredient list. Many places are doing these hybrid butters. Part butter and part vegetable oil. I like Challenge butter. Yum!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  08:06:42 AM  Show Profile
Typically if it is a spreadable butter its not "real" and usually has oil mixed in. My favorite is Cabot.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  1:37:43 PM  Show Profile
I am so trying to eat heathier! So this will be another additive! Thanks so much I wish I could find someone around here that makes real butter. Blessings, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  1:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am all about real foods...my humble opinion is they are better for you, even in the long run. Having family members who grew up on farms eating just vegetables, meat and bread, they all lived to their late 90's without much of a weight problem nor medical problems. I honestly just think the body cannot process manufactured food.

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  2:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Karen, do you have an Aldi's where you live? I get my butter there for just $1.89 a pound. It's cream and salt. That's all. You can get unsalted, too. The brand is Happy Farms. I have made butter from cream from a friend's cow. You could just buy whole cream and make it yourself in a blender. Then you know what you get.

Heather, are you back in Texas? I thought you moved to Kentucky?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  2:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
No...still in Tennessee...my HEART is ALWAYS in Texas!!! ; )

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  05:41:25 AM  Show Profile
I love Aldi butter!! It has the best taste and you cannot beat the price. I can't make butter that cheaply, which is sad because I have a lovely butter churn that wants to be used.

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  05:47:05 AM  Show Profile
The only Aldi I know of is about an hour from here. Im in the boonies! Blessings,Karen

www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  03:25:17 AM  Show Profile
I noticed a tub we had the other day.

Bought one that had said spreadable butter w/ something in it like canola. This is one I keep at work.

The stuff at home is impossible to spread. It only list the 3-4 above mentioned ingredients. I have been using this a bit more lately especially in baking recipes. And if my bread is really hot, the real butter melts all nice -like anyway

I'd rather consume something natural and not ultra processed.

Think next time we go to Costco we'll stock up on this too.

Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  04:58:15 AM  Show Profile
One day several years ago, as I was shopping at the market, it just occurred to me that it was crazy to be buying margarine which is man-made instead of butter which is nearly straight from nature. God must have intended butter to be good for us in some capacity if it comes from healthy cream.
I so enjoyed the article in the new magazine as well.
Warm wishes,
Tonya
http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DairymansDaughter
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Janel
Ohio
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  11:25:18 AM  Show Profile
I, also was thrilled to hear another voice in support of butter in the most recent MJF magazine. Ever since we started milking Jerseys several years ago, we have had the privilege of making and eating our own butter. We have made it in the old fashioned glass containers with the wooden paddles, in an upright wooden butter church (a gallon+ of cream at a time) and of course we have shaken it in jars. I realize not everyone has access to cream to make their own butter, and in that case I suggest like the other ladies, purchasing butter with as few ingredients as possible: Cream/salt!

I second what Heather says about our bodies processing manufactured food. I had to smile at myself when I saw the movie "Julie and Julia" when Julie Powell was cooking with LOTS and LOTS of butter! I think it's interesting that despite what many 'health' articles say about limiting ones consumption of saturated fat, Julia Child used plenty of it and lived to be in her 90s! My Great Grandpa used to drink a glass of buttermilk every day and he lived to be in his 90s as well. Lord willing, I will too, enjoying my real butter all the way.

Here is an excellent article if anyone is interested in learning the benefits of eating more butter: http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html

Janel
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  11:35:34 AM  Show Profile
I use real butter with on additives. I have a little jar with a lid that I keep on the counter with the butter in it. That way it is spreadable. I am a dedicated student of Paula Deen and she uses butter for everything.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  11:40:43 AM  Show Profile
I keep my butter in a butter crock on the counter. That way it's spreadable without melting and the water in the crock keeps it fresh.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  05:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Growing up in the 60's with a dad in medical school, we only used margarine. I never even tasted real butter until I met my husband in 1978. Well, husband refused to use margarine, and I loved the taste of real butter, so that is what our children grew up on.
In the late 90's I decided to try the Atkins diet to lose some weight. Now of course, I realize that there are no processed foods to that way of eating. The first time I ever had my cholesterol checked after a year of eating that way, it was nice and low! Despite all the meat and fats I'd been eating! ;)
My mom and dad have switched to Olivio, which is a blend, husband likes it too, so I keep it in the house, but I also keep real butter here, at all times. I also drink whole milk! My next goal is to get a cow, so I can have raw milk, and make my own butter and cheese.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pass The Butter, Please! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page