Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic headaches Next Topic  

simone947
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

sarah
peru NY
34 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  08:35:43 AM  Show Profile
I've had daily headaches since April. I've since been diagnosed with a pituitary lesion- but since all but my thyroid hormones are in line we aren't planning surgery this year. I have an appointment at a headache clinic in MA in the fall, but I was wondering what other folks do to treat their headaches. I'm sick of tylenol- I don't like taking meds at all- and I really don't like OTC pain medicine as they make me sick. Has anyone treated headache's naturally or changed their diets to prevent headaches? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  08:59:34 AM  Show Profile
Sarah
Get a good therapeutic grade lavender essential oil & rub on forehead & temples. This always works for me.
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  09:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Accupressure works too! Pick up a tutorial online, or at your local bookstore.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  09:21:02 AM  Show Profile
Sarah- peppermint oil used in the same way as Lisa suggested for the lavender oil works well also. :)
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  09:27:05 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever considered a GOOD chiropractor Sarah? I live with daily headaches without mine.
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  7:37:58 PM  Show Profile
I had daily headaches also until I stopped ingesting aspartame or Equal artificial sweetener. Headaches stopped. I don't use any artificial sweeteners at all, feel much better.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

mustanggrl0526
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Becky
Cottonwood Heights UT
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  9:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Send mustanggrl0526 a Yahoo! Message
All of these are great suggestions, I definitely agree with the artificial sweetener and the chiropractor. You may want to see if you have a NUCCA chiropractor in your area. They treat the upper cervicals which when out of alignment can cause a whole host of issues including headaches. I used to have migraines all the time some lasting up to a week. I slowly starting identifying triggers as well as getting my back adjusted, this combined with changing my diet and adding supplements the only time I seem to get a headache anymore is when they're self inflicted (not enough sleep, to much wine etc.). Hope this helps.

-Becky

You can't be a smart cookie if you have a crumby attitude.
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  07:38:19 AM  Show Profile
If I stick with a multi vitamin( I like Nature's Code ) , no sodas and excersise I get hardly any migraines anymore. If I slip up then look out especially during "that" time of the month. Then I use Advil and it works great if I catch the headache early. Good Luck.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  03:48:58 AM  Show Profile
I stopped eating processed meats and anything that contains MSG, sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite.

All these ingrediends are in lots of the foods we eat...including soups!

Watch the wine intake unless it specifically says nitrite-free.

Some cheeses may spike a headache too.

And I was told by my headache dr. that a migraine has a cumlative effect, so a small combination of any of the above mentioned things, one on top of the other can also trigger one.

And of course, a biggie for many peole are extreme drops in barometric pressure (like when a bad storm is about to roll through).

I gave up on the herbals although I sleep w/ a lavender beanbag stuffed animal. They sooth but never kill the pain. I take a prescription drug only when needed, and if I don't try and play tough guy and just take a pill at the first little twinge, that's all that is USUALLY needed.

Chiropractors, acupuncture and deep tissue massage do help!
Go to Top of Page

simone947
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

sarah
peru NY
34 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  08:00:44 AM  Show Profile
I will have to look into the chiropractors around here. I have headaches from the time I wake up to when I go to bed. I don't drink wine or diet soda. I don't think I could give up cheese, but I don't eat it every day. I went to a neurologist and I didn't really think he took too much time with me- instead he just perscribed a sedative and anti-depressant to take every night. I did try it, but I don't think I'm going to continue with it. While I can't feel my headaches anymore I can't feel much of anything. I feel like a zombie and its not going to work with my active life. Coffee helps my headaches and I have started to take vitamins. Thanks for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  07:42:27 AM  Show Profile
I was at the neurologist Fri for this very thing! Headaches 3-5 times a week - icepick in left corner of eye. My MRI showed a white spot which scared me but the doctor explained that as people get older - 35 so didn't appreciate that- it isn't uncommon for those to appear. It took me a momment but I realized that he just said my brain had age spots!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't mean to make it about me but that just cracked me!
Excederin migraine cut my headache in half - but you do have to be careful cause you can only take so many a day. I also try to take really deep breathes when it starts - sometimes it lessons the onset. I hope you feel better soon.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  03:33:46 AM  Show Profile
We realy have to watch it w/ the OTC stuff.

They will cause rebound headaches if taken too often.

I had tried the Excedrin for Migraine and just about everything else, even had an MRI for which the dr. said everything was normal.

I usually get a twinge behind one eye that mushroomsminto a ful blown headashe and will eventually make me feel dizzy/strange and not want to eat.

The prescription meds are typical for mirgaine sufferers. These types of drugs are triptans (I take a rizotriptan or Maxalt)and they block the nerve pain signal. Very good stuff.

Best when taken at the first sign of an impending headache. If not, mine can last up to 3 days and it takes longer to shake.

One evening I ran out of pills and the next day in the middle of work I had to make an emergency trip to the minute clinic on a Sunday moring. The pain was too much to endure and the dr. was sympathetic. Pity I didn't have a driver 'cause he almost started me out with an injectible. Never would have made it out the front door though.

I would prefer the natural stuff, but none has worked to actually make the pain go away like the RX can.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  10:43:24 AM  Show Profile
I think my brain has age spots too...

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic headaches Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page