Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  07:18:37 AM  Show Profile
of the pantry, I found them in everything from flour, dried beans, to my popcorn tin. What can I do to keep them out I had to throw out so much food! I was about in tears.
Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  07:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Try some bay leaves sprinkled on your shelf...it works for me!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  09:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Keep your flour in an air-tight container in the freezer, you can do the same with beans, popcorn, etc.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  09:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Karen I recently went through this too. We had to throw out a lot of food!
I put all flour, rice, grains, etc in the freezer for a few days, but then transferred some of each to glass containers. Still, I put a piece of plastic over the mouth bfore screwing on the lid.
To be honest, we sprayed the pantry a few times with a kitchen insect spray. Nothing else seemed to kill them off.
Ours came in with pet food, we believe.
We still watch for them all the time.I check any food ingredient they may be in before I add it to other ingredients in a recipe, just to be sure.

Caron

Blessed is everyone that feareth the Lord; that walketh in His ways. For thou shalt eat the labor of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee."
Ps. 128:1-2.
Farmgirl sister #254

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  10:05:34 AM  Show Profile
I second what everyone has said- A little time in the freezer (at least 72 hours) and don't leave your products in their original containers. I use either glass canning jars or glass containers that I picked up at Ikea. I'm not too keen about storing food in plastic.
Pet food is a prime source for those little pests, as well as pasta. Ew, I hate to think about that.

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  10:05:41 AM  Show Profile
Almost all grain type foods come to your home with bugs or eggs in them. When I ran a food pantry I learned to put everything in the freezer for 2 days before tranfering it into either zip lock bags or a container with a tight lid. Freezing kills anything before it gets to your shelfs. Rice is the worst to have cooties in it.
The bay leafs that was mentioned works really well to repel bugs that might wonder in uninvited.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  10:17:30 AM  Show Profile
I never tried Bay leaves but I will, I had moths for months they came in with the gram crackers. I never have room in my freezer but I may just make some as I'm back to killing one ever day or two.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile
I second that on useing glass containers, I use 1/2 and 1 gallon jars. I have a daughter who is a teacher, and she gets them from the school she teaches at from the cafeteria, also I pick them up at thrift stores and swap meets, garage sales, etc. I do not use plastic for any food.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  1:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Yep that is my task today, clean out the cupboard.
I open the door and out they fly. I got to find the offending item where they are coming from.
A friend told me her grandma used to open a peppermint candy and put on each shelf to keep them away.
I will try the bay leaves today.
Thanks
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  4:38:53 PM  Show Profile
I have put the bay leaves out and I agree that the plastic containers dont work because I had some in air tight containters and still had moths in them so glass jars I will be on the look out for. I will also have to try and clean out a spot in my freezer. Thanks to you all for the great tips! You know how to help a girl out! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  5:47:40 PM  Show Profile
The cupboard is bare, washed the inside down with vinegar water.
I think I found all the offending items and a few that just plain need to go.
Should lighten the cupboard some too.
I'll let dry and sort things to go back in...
I think the freezer thing would be good,I also have a few glass jars to put some things into.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ontariogirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lisa
Dutton Ontario
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  05:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ontariogirl's MSN Messenger address
Thanks all of you for answering my question before I even had a chance to ask it :)

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase " Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  05:41:22 AM  Show Profile
I am on the search for some large glass jars! The Childrens Home are having a huge yard sale here not to far from us Fri. so Im hoping to find some there! Until then the new flour is staying in the freezer! Blessings,Karen

www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  8:35:25 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know about the bay leaves. Thanks for that suggestion. Another source for glass containers, if you can find them, are glass milk bottles. They work great for storing grains, flour, just about any dry goods. We have a small chain of milk stores that sells their milk in glass. I drive 40 miles to get my milk and oj because the milk tastes so-o-o much better and lasts a lot longer. I do have to pay a 10 cent deposit on each bottle and admit I have several that I did not return because they make wonderful grain containers.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  8:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I am having a few problems with them too. Time to get more glass containers. They are all in my pinto beans. I guess I can just rinse them well and still use them though.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  9:12:53 PM  Show Profile
We happen to just love the huge dill pickles that come in the really big glass jars. Once the jar is empty it's soaked so the label comes off, I spray paint the lid a color to match my kitchen and in goes rice, beans, flour or whatever needs the cooties to stay out. If you don't eat pickles call your local restaurants and see if they have any to spare. They usually just toss them in the trash. Or if you don't live in a dry country (dry county LOL) call your local bars, their pickled eggs and pigs feet come in them. They are worth searching the isles of markets to find them. LOL

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.

Edited by - Cabinprincess on Sep 16 2009 03:48:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  9:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Those are they ones I need Melody. I have some, but now I need more because I am stocking so much more in my panty. I am on a mission to get everything in glass as soon as possible.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  11:26:02 PM  Show Profile
i LOVE finding uses for old jars. spaghetti jars, apple sauce jars, those amazing pickle jars. thanks for the ideas girls!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How do you keep the moths out Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page