Author Family Matters: Previous Topic need to work from home ideas Next Topic  

DAWN SCARLET SARVER
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

DAWN
WHITEFISH MONTANA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  3:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Send DAWN SCARLET SARVER a Yahoo! Message
I need advcie guys I have a four year old at home who needs me but it is currently at a babysitters everyday because I can't afford to stay at home with her.I am responsible for all the groceries at my house and a few small bills.I need ideas on how I can stay home with her where I belong. Desprate in montana!

Edited by - DAWN SCARLET SARVER on Sep 14 2009 06:45:48 AM

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  5:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum Dawn! It takes a lot to be able to work full time from home. I'd have to say a 2nd income coming in sure would help you out. Are you married or in a relationship? Is hubby/significant other supportive of you staying at home? What kind of crafts do you do? Is there a market for your craft in your area? Have you checked to see if there are local shops who would purchase from you to sell in their stores? How much would you save if you didn't have to pay for a babysitter? Think babysitter fee and gas to transport your child to and from sitters. Do you have to provide any food for your child while she's at the sitters? All of these things play into that cost to savings ratio. Could you perhaps cut your hours to part time while you're trying out selling your crafts so you have more time to work on them and yet still have an income? I wish I had sure fire answers for you. I know there are many gals who are able to do this who may have better advise to offer. Good luck to you!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  2:04:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn & welcome to the Farmgirls forum! Working at home can be challenging. Normally I'd suggest crafting but with a young one in the house that might be a little tricky. I know Nature Maiden is looking for Reps,(she posts on the forum quite a bit) and Marjean could get you into being a Fuller Brush rep. I'm thinking products that are all ready to go would most certainly be easier than creating things. Are you musical? If so,would teaching be a possibility?

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

DAWN SCARLET SARVER
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

DAWN
WHITEFISH MONTANA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Send DAWN SCARLET SARVER a Yahoo! Message
I need to make about a 1000.00 a month.There is no market for any kind of crafting around here. People that live here are mostly from LA and they aren't into that kind of thing.I would need to do something either on the internet or something that doesn't involve selling or calling.I just don't know what that would be.Every morning I have to take her to the babysitter I almost cry that this is one more day I won't be seeing her all day and she will be starting school in 10 months. That will go by so fast it makes my heart hurt to think about it.

Edited by - DAWN SCARLET SARVER on Sep 14 2009 07:00:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  08:06:57 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever cosidered daycare. I used to have quite a few children and made good money doing it. I now scaled down to just one family 4 days a week. I love staying home with my kids and am able to make a little income as well.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  08:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Call your local Employment offices and ask them about do at home work. If your good on a computer you can pick up work doing data entry. Doctors and Insurance companies have lots of data entry. You might even try just calling them yourself and seeing if there is a need in your area. You could run an ad in your local paper also.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  09:11:05 AM  Show Profile
I second "childcare", and you will easily make $1000- or more per month with 1/2 a doz kids everyday.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

DAWN SCARLET SARVER
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

DAWN
WHITEFISH MONTANA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  1:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Send DAWN SCARLET SARVER a Yahoo! Message
I am so touched at how many of you took time out of your busy days to try and help me.I just want you all to know how much I appreciate all of you. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  07:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
ok first of all reduce the need for you to work by using food coops, food banks... second harvest gleaners angelfood ministries, etc..then the need for you to supply the food will lessen and maybe then you can find a way to provide the bills from work at home..also you might consider working parttime at a child day care where you can take your own child..or a preschool..and earn money but take your child..

you gotta think out of the box..not just how can i make money..but how can i cut money so i don't have to make money.

i have been a stay at home mom for a good deal of our 38 years of marriage and we are living out of debt and doing well..

make a budget..check every single area of spending..examine each to see if there are areas you can save..like the food budget and not paying day care..and then maybe you'll be that stay at home mom sooner than you think.

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page

DAWN SCARLET SARVER
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

DAWN
WHITEFISH MONTANA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  10:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Send DAWN SCARLET SARVER a Yahoo! Message
We live very very very minimal. We don't go out at all or do anything ever other than go to work and come home and that's it. I am a naturopthic doctor and my children don't have shots so not only can I not do childcare of any kind my daughter can not go to a daycare.Besides that the laws here will only allow you to watch 2 children without having a license so that is a great idea for most but not me. My main responsibility is groceries and that is why I have to work somewhere doing something because we would literally starve if it was up to my husband. He can not do it by himself.I am not a practicing naturopathy by the way because I don't have the money to set up my own practice and this state does not recognize my license, so you see why I am so distraut not knowing what else to do besides what I am doing.You can't have any tighter of a budget than I already do.We don't have health insurance at all no life insurance and no savings no credit cards no loans a very used car 1992 buick and very large hospital bills from when we almost lost our daughter.I can't get any more tighter than I already am.

Edited by - DAWN SCARLET SARVER on Sep 15 2009 10:33:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  11:26:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello Dawn,
My sister took some online courses (they did cost a little) for medical transcription which is a job worked from home. She has two little ones so after they went to bed at night she logged on and in half the time she had her degree. I'm not sure how much she makes each month but, it was her only way to avoid daycare and work. Because of the kids before they started school she had to work nights, it was really tough on her working all night and then being up all day with the kiddos. Now they are both in school she can work days or sleep days whichever she prefers. The company she works for now provided the equipment needed some do some don't. It may not be what you are looking for but, it may at least be worth looking into. I know it really helped her out with the exact delima. Good luck & best wishes!

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers

http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DAWN SCARLET SARVER
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

DAWN
WHITEFISH MONTANA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  06:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Send DAWN SCARLET SARVER a Yahoo! Message
Honey that sounds perfect can you find out what school she went to for me? Thank you so much?
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  08:37:44 AM  Show Profile
I will ask her next time we talk. I do know she just started by looking them up online, liked one, and then signed up. With everything done online you don't work from your own area. My sister lives here in California but, does work for hospitals in Alaska and Colorado. Sometimes each company has it's own school or training. She has worked for three or four different companies and each one did require the same general degree but had it's own stuff as well. Happy hunting!
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers

http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic need to work from home ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page