Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  05:03:57 AM  Show Profile
A few blurbs have already been talked about this mystery rooster in our flock.

He surfaced 2 weeks ago when I noticed this "hen's" wattles looked a little bigger and a little darker than the other ones.

Tail feathers were also long and pretty and neck feathers were glossy and long too.

So OOPS! Second rooster in the hen house.

This one came in in this past Spring's chick shipment. I still have the little box that has 2 production reds listed. The rest were black sexlinks, grey coachins and a brahma (sad she didn't make it).

So are the production reds a sex linked chicken? Perhaps not if there was human error during the sorting process.

I hear him trying to crow every morning. It still sounds a bit rough.

And as long as he doesn't make any moves to flog me, he can stay.

I think he hops the fence 'cause he is low in the pecking order.

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  05:58:55 AM  Show Profile
Well I got just the opposite I was suppose to be getting a rooster that turned out to be an hen! Oh well shes so pretty we just kept her and went and got a rooster! So all is well in my hen house. hehe Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile
My ratio was much worse I got three "rooster" hens this year. I'm such a softy ( most all mine have names ) that after I spent all the time raising them I couldn't bare the thought of them being dinner. There was a local group that wanted 2 roosters for their hens so with a promise of only "romance" I gave 2 away. The third I let stay with my banty rooster and all the ladies. Everyone seems to be content, now if those stinkin hens would just start laying! Never in 20 years have I had such a hard time with my laying hens not wanting to lay. Others in my area have had the same problem, must be the weather!

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  06:57:13 AM  Show Profile
I agree

Must be something

By rights I should be getting at least 20+ eggs a day

These new hens are 6 months old as of Sept 4 so they ought to be churnin' more eggs out soon!

Orders keep piling in and i wish I could deliver same day. Luckily people are very understanding.
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  08:06:59 AM  Show Profile
My neighbors have actually been getting their eggs elsewhere because my girls can't keep up. Last year had so many couldn't give them away, this year not enough for just us & 1 or 2 neighbors. Frustrating hugh?

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Same here, my hens wouldnt lay until I'd lost most of my customers, so I just gave all but 4 away to a friend. Now just enough for us. I couldnt catch 2 of the Phoenix hens, so just left them in with the goats and horses. have one brooding now and no rooster Sooo I took a bunch of fertile eggs away from my show Serama hens that have decided to lay and not finish setting and gave them to the Phoenix to hatch How I'll find buyers for them this time of the year is beyond me!
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  06:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Production reds are not a sexlink chicken, they are really pretty when they get grown. Probably human error on that one!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic mystery rooster Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page