Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 trying to make grape jelly for the first time.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic trying to make grape jelly for the first time. Next Topic  

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  12:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Ok, so at this new house there is a grape arbor. The grapes are just starting to ripen up and pretty soon something is going to need to be done with them. I have always wanted to try to make jelly and then to can it would be amazing! Does anyone have a good recipe or some tips on how they make it or can it? I have no clue what I am doing and I know that some of the MJF gals would have some helpful hints!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  2:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry I don't have any ideas but hope it turns out good!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  06:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Sorry - I am a failure at the grape jelly thing. I can never get it to firm up enough. We do make grape juice - DH loves it so we will be making that this year - looks like we will have a huge crop this year.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  08:09:18 AM  Show Profile
I always just use the recipe on the pectin box and it works really well.
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  09:51:53 AM  Show Profile
That's what I do too Roxy. I try to make sure that I throw some underripe grapes into the pot. I heard somewhere that they are high in natural pectin and they may halp it to gel faster. Also, don't try to rush the cooking process. It needs that full hard boiling time or it will not set. Good luck and I hope you have many jars of delicious jam!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  10:13:26 AM  Show Profile
True, grape can take a bit to set, so a mix of grapes is good. Give it a day or two to see if it is setting. I find tham jam sets easier than jelly, plus I like the pulpy stuff. More fiber!
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  10:20:44 AM  Show Profile
yummy yummy yummy! Made LOTS this weekend. I just use the recipe on the pectin box too :) oh, and I have just done jelly.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Thanks for your help Ya'll. I'm sure that when he fully ripen up your advise will come in handy.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  09:10:06 AM  Show Profile
I make grape jam! The recipe is in the Ball canning book. But you take 2 quarts of grapes,off the stem, and "pop" the pulp and seed into one pot, and the skin into another. Add 1/2 cup of water to the skins and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring so it don't stick. Simmer the pulp in the other pot at the same time. Then strain out the seeds. Add the pulp to the skins, and add sugar to taste. Cook 10 minutes, and can up. Easy and works every time for me.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  10:46:11 AM  Show Profile
OOH, Michelle, that's how I make grape pie filling! Looks gross doesn't it? :) until you add the skins back in!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic trying to make grape jelly for the first time. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page