lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  9:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
.... looking at the news these days and just having almost ... a sense of an anxiety attack...or even the slightest feeling of one? That's what I am doing these days. I have to totally be oblivious. If I don't, though, I still feel bad... as if I am just turning a blind eye to what is going on. On the other hand, it doesn't even seem like I COULD do anything to help things going on.... It's a no-win situation. _But I am an optimist!_ I am not all doom and gloom!

All I can do is pray! But I guess that is always usually the best thing in times like these.

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
http://www.stevietribute.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
Nature's Sunshine - Certified Herbalist/
Spiritual Therapist

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  9:10:02 PM  Show Profile
I am on a news diet right now. I just watch the weather. Otherwise I get too depressed.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  9:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I can hardly turn on the TV without getting either fearful or angry. Neither emotion I want to carry around all day. It's bad on the radio too so most days I turn both off. You are right in that the best thing to do is pray. Pray not only that things turn around but also remember to pray for peace for your heart in this mess. You are not alone!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  05:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Brooke, I hardly ever turn the tv on unless I watch a movie on the gospel movie channel. I just cant stand all the negitive mess they put on the news, and our weather people hardly ever get the right forcast so I just look outside to see what the weather is like and go from there. You cant turn the tv on without hearing all kinds of junk so I just had rather not subject myself to any of it. Kate I love your diet!!! Blessings, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  06:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It is discouraging, frustrating . . . and scary!!!!

I try to constantly remind myself that GOD IS IN CONTROL!!! He can SEE everything, He KNOWS everything . . . He also knows what's gonna happen!

I hang onto HOPE . . . the kind of HOPE that only God can give!!

Yup, easier said than done . . . but, in the final analysis, that is all we have. And PRAYER is what we can do about it!!!

Because of Him!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  06:45:13 AM  Show Profile
I agree. I get very angry and frustrated at what is going on. But like CJ said God is still on the throne! The best thing I can do is pray :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  07:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Amen sister friends I am also trying to help out a bit more when I am able. Extra food to the food bank and such.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  07:34:28 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all of you. The news is so upsetting. God is in control.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  07:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The thing that bothers me is that good news doesn't sell so all the WONDERFUL things that go on just don't get air time. So it does make the daily news a bit of a downer. Luckily our local newspaper does report the positive quite often so I peruse it every couple of days to make sure I am not falling TOO far behind on current events, but for the most part I just love life and enjoy. My heart aches for those in horrible situations, but I have to recognize the limitations of what I can and have time to do and still be a good wife and mother.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm right there with all of you. And it's often a topic of discussion between me and dh. My solution, too, is prayer. His time. His will. And then I just go about my business and enjoy my day to the fullest.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  08:42:10 AM  Show Profile
I had to quit watching and reading the news. It seemed like no matter what I read it was always sad or gloomy. Around election times, I keep tabs on that, but other than that, I can't see it without being sad.

GOD IS ON THE THRONE!!
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  08:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Amen Jessie.
Isn't that a relief to know!!!
Otherwise....I would totally be able to understand why suicide rates have gone so high!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile
I disagree. There ARE things you can do. Contact your local 9/12 chapter. Get involved in a local tea party. I posted a thread here somewhere about it, you can always visit my blog for more information.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  09:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I actually was involved in a tea party but there hasn't been any here lately!

The health care thing as well as some other things.... if they are proposing fines on health care... up to 3,000 and something...how can we afford that....if we can't even afford paying for it!

and all the taxes.... and ..and... okay, I will shut up now!

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
http://www.stevietribute.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
Nature's Sunshine - Certified Herbalist/
Spiritual Therapist
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  11:21:25 AM  Show Profile
I agree but I also don't think we can stick our heads in the sand. We have to know what is going on to some degree or someday we will wake up and say to ourselves "How did that happen". Some days I am really scared others I just get mad as you know what. We are four times as busy at work because of how things are so I can't hide from it. We can't even get new programs started for just feeding, watering and day to day care. It is depressing but we need to be active to stop what is happening.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  11:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I always keep an eye to what is going on in the world and Washington but I do not overwhelm myself. I try to get involved locally and I also try to keep educated by reading and researching.

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  6:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
oh gee I should have never opened this thread! lol! I'm highly into politics worked on the Obama campaign last year. I'm in FULL support for national health-care. Also I don;t watch much news I prefer a newspaper or the home page of my e-mail something will catch my eye. I am a democrat and I bleed blue. I have a-lot of compassion for the average people as the Bible says to have. I believe in supporting the little people. In all my years of living I have never experienced healthcare in my family. it's been out of pocket pay. I personally feel that these people who are un-employed who can't afford the Cobra kind of insurance. When someone losses there job there cobra insurance goes up 2 to 3 times the amount they were paying when working. Some people on unemployment make roughly 1500 a month and the insurance pay is around 700...after they pay there insurance how the heck can they afford gas, and to feed there children plus to give there family heat? That's my own personal opinion. Also how can people who work a minimum wage job afford healthcare? there are many things to be taken into consideration and I say since Ted Kennedy past away and he was a HUGE advocate for public health-care that in his honor the public-healthcare should be passed! :)

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  7:02:56 PM  Show Profile
i'm also scared at the situations going on right now... have been for a LONG time! even before obama got into office. i try desperately not to let it get me down.... my hubby and i do what WE can to educate ourselves - i try to research many different websites regarding the information i hear so i can come to my own conclusion, but i've found it's difficult. we attended the local 4th of july tea party and i hope there will be more to come! i also try to educate myself on HISTORY, the history of our great nation. i believe STRONGLY in what our forefathers meant our country to be and i hate the way the country is headed away from that ideal. i feel all i can do is take care of myself and my hubby, do what we have to do to protect ourselves.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  7:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Who are the "little people"?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  7:50:52 PM  Show Profile
I have experienced public healthcare and it sucks trout. I had to have it in Scotland when we lived there. Obama is going to pay for public healthcare by killing off our parents and grandparents. We need to send the illegal aliens home so they don't use up all the public healthcare. I know that those of you who live in the northern states don't have the illegal alien problems that we in the southern states deal with. We pay for their healthcare, their childrens educations and now they are giving them social security. We can't get our children into the clinics to get immunizations because the clinics are full of illegal aliens. Obama is crazy if he thinks socialized healthcare is going to work in this country. Sorry but I have been there done that and it is aweful. Besides, my parents are still alive and they will have their healthcare jerked out from under them if Obama gets his way. Read what he wants before you agree with him.

Jonnie
Farmgirl 648

"Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do." William Faulkner

Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  7:54:29 PM  Show Profile
Sorry my sister and I use the same computer and this is my opinion not the opinion of my sister mtngirljon. Sorry Jonnie. I need to sign in as myself now.

Jonnie
Farmgirl 648

"Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do." William Faulkner

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  8:22:27 PM  Show Profile
I don't watch the news cause it's all about ratings, but things have been scary for a long time before now. In the middle ages, the Black Plague killed off one third of the population of Europe. People didn't know what caused it, just that everyone around them were dropping like flies. To me, that would be terrifying. At least now we have a pretty good grasp on what's happening in the world. Yes, it's still scary, but that's life. I feel sorry for the people who don't have TV's or computers and who can't read, and are therefore cut off from knowing what's going on in the world. They make decisions based largely on superstitions that have been passed down through time. That would scare the **** out of me to live in a culture like that. so even though I don't watch the news, I'm glad it's there if I choose to watch it. I have hope that with all the knowledge currently available, we can find new ways to solve some of the problems the world is facing. I guess it's like one of those illustrations that changes from one image to another depending on how you look at it. Look at it one way and it's a beautiful lady, look at it another way and it's an old crone. Which one is real? Only you can decide.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  8:47:41 PM  Show Profile
I feel your frustration too. Maybe we need to focus the positive. Things we can do to make others happy and not pay too much attention on the negative. I only listen to the news once a day or even once every 3 days. That doesn't change anything but it helps me when I concentrate on the good. God bless.

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  8:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bonnie- I think you have the same idea as me- stay up to date with the big stuff, but not over load the mind with too much all in one go!

Let's try to keep the politics out of the conversation. I know that Moderator Carol has asked several times in the past that politics not be discussed since it is such a hot topic with farmgirls on either side and every shade in between. It's hard to discuss something that is that controversial without stepping on toes and I think the last thing we want to do is step on toes here on the forum where we can sit down and relax with friends!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is anybody ........ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page