Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  4:11:20 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to put together a workshop area in our garage - it's more like a little barn, but we call it a garage - do any of you have tools/equipment that you just can't live without? I, of course, won't be able to furnish it all at once, but I'd like to have a plan...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  04:25:10 AM  Show Profile
I love, love, LOVE my Rotozip. It takes a bit of training your hand(s) to be steady but well worth it. I love the way it can go in any direction, up down, side, circles, zig-zag.

I'd love to have a table saw but my skill saw is just great. If you've got the room, you might consider a table saw. It would just make things so much easier than having to get out the saw horses. They're so versitle,too.

Have Fun!
Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  05:26:41 AM  Show Profile
I don't really use all that many tools because my DH is really into woodworking so I let him have his fun with my projects too. He really uses the heck out of his compound miter saw, jig saw, levels, angles, cordless drills, sawhorses, circular saw, and his dremel. He has so many though it would be hard to list everything he uses but I would say these are the main tools he uses every project. He has a table saw but doesn't use it for very many things.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  05:41:54 AM  Show Profile
We are having our barn all finished inside .. Hank wants a 'woodworking' shoppe .. (i fear he will cut his fingers off!!!) ... has always been his 'dream' to 'make stuff'!!! ... however, he and a neighbor are in the process of building a FANTASTIC wooden fenced-yard for our dawgs .. will post pics when it is through!) I have a little dremel saw .. but haven't used it in ages! I would like to have a little corner of his woodshop for my 'dainty doin's'. I surely do keep my very own 'tool box' though!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  07:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Frannie I know your fears. My dad is an excellent craftsman and has built stuff for as long as I can remember and 2 summers ago cut his thumb off in the table saw . Was not a good thing. Now we all laugh and joke about it because it was a completely stupid move on his part and he just wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. The potential is always there, just stress the importance of safety!!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  07:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the listings! I'm putting together my "workshop plan" lately, and this has been a big help.

Catherine, what is a Rotozip?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  2:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I could not live with out my palm sander. I love it, it is not so big that my arms get tired useing it but it is way way way faster that hand sanding.

Alaska Girl all the Way
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  2:49:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the input - my list is growing longer by the day, and I'm slowly, slowly setting up a plan.

Does anybody have experience with a shopsmith (I think they're called)?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  12:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Libby,I have a bunch of tools but my most favorites are my cordless drill and my cordless skil saw. I also find that having ear plugs makes me less nervous! When I first learned how to use the skil saw I had a woman teach me.She had more patience and I had less nervousness! I still don't want to use a table saw tho. its just too scary. One thing I'd like to get next is a sawzall. It cuts through nails and can get close to the edge of where your'e wanting to cut.I like my fold-up saw horses too. My husband (the newspaper man) is always having to come to me to borrow a tool!! He groaned the other day when I begged for a generator for our remote property to do projects on!! I have a funny story about cutting out a wall on our last place and installing a window on the south side so we could have some light. It really opened the place up. I asked a friend to come to visit but to please come in the door before dh. She knew right away I had done something without his knowledge.But after the initial shock (comments,Wheres the walls,and the bedrooms(they were real tiny anyway)!, we got on to the ohhs and Ahhs of how opened and light it was. Now he won't go on any trips without taking me!
My last project backfired for awhile.I ordered french doors and asked my nephew to deliver them during the day when dh wasn't home.Well he came for a late lunch just as the forklift was delivering the crate.Asking what that was,didn't aunty tell you what she ordered. Well he wouldn't let me have them installed for 3 years. Not till my dad said get them out of his garage before the crate fell on his car!! Now they are in and such a difference.Lots of light.Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  4:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tool information - I think the cordless models of most things are going on my list, as I am more than likely to wrap myself up in them...

Dorothy - it sounds like you are one handy gal! I hope your spouse knows how lucky he is the HE isn't the one doing all of the projects! I'm just so excited to be putting my workshop plan into motion. I'm asking for a tool from my parents for my birthday and one from my husband for mother's day - I just have to decide what goes on my "two most wanted" list!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  5:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Dorothy I couldn't help but laugh reading your stories! I do EVERYTHING when my husband is gone! hahahaha..
The last time he went to Germany to visit his parents, I re-did our entire living room and dining room ;) There is nooooooo way I would have been able to get my victorian lace curtains up if he were home.. Now he told me that we will go to Germany together this summer. Which is nice, but I was planning on putting up a wall tent in the backyard while he was gone.. :( Rats!

Take care,

Carla...

Ps.. I use my Dremel with it's gazillion attachments for just about everything.. that and a cordless drill.

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jennie! I love to make people laugh,don't think my DH is gonna let me forget that one tho.I do need to get a dremel tool,mostly for the engraver so I can put my name on all these tools!. I am getting so much inspiration from this site!
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  08:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Love to see all the handy ladies, great. For dream tools I want one of the packages with all the interchangabel parts and they are cordless. I pick up lots of my tools at yard sales, thrift shops and auctions. I just got a Dremel table top saw at a yard sale for $20.00, perfect size for all my small projects and I think it will so much easier to control then my sabre saw more stable. I have bought drills, sanders and all manner of old hand tools which remind me of my Grandfather. The old hand powered drills are great for starting nail holes and delicate projects that the electric drill might be too fast for. I enjoy poking through all the stuff and what I don't use becomes decorations,lol. Good luck with your work shop, on our new property there is a small shed with shelves and electric that I have dibbs on for my craft place so will have home for all my stuff!! Yeah
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Creating a workshop/woodshop Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page