prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:33:13 PM  Show Profile
ok, i know, it was not a very country show, but what do you think about the fashion featured on it? some of it was very pretty, some of it not so pretty. but since watching it, i look at high heels differently. some are almost an art, but since i started wearing them, they make me feel so feminine and sexy. so, what are your thoughts on heels and sex and the city fashion?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
High heels were created by men because it made a woman's hips move back and forth that's true history fact! ...looking sexy to watch her walk

I used to wear them when younger...then I got vertigo...walk in flats now. They can be very pretty but don't make any sense to me now.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like fancy high heel shoes, but most of the other fashions are a bit more like the avant-garde runway fashions to me. Especially the outfits that "Carrie" wears towards the end of most episodes. But I do like some of the flair she uses!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Sep 06 2009 4:52:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I wear heels for work and special occasions. I honestly don't "get" fashion or why people swoon but I can get behind the creativity and the interest. I guess I am just not that hip. I honestly don't think those fashions work for 99% of the population but then again, we watch tv and movies to getaway and for enjoyment of the visual.

Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Sep 07 2009 11:13:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile
no, i don't exactly "get" fashion either, especially since it's so expensive. but it's pretty to look at sometimes... i prefer to find my own "fashion" at the thrift stores - i've found some pretty fabulous things that i absolutely love! and it all fits my own fashion and personality.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  11:07:59 AM  Show Profile
I am in love with shoes ;) Comes from working in a shoestore for over 14 years i guess, still love them. AND most of the time I wear high heels, sometimes I do wear flats but most times it is heels for me.
I am "only" 6 feet tall so need the height lol.

I DO care whether the shoes I have are in fashion. And as long as they are pretty AND comfortable they are "mine" to wear.
And I did never watch the show, it is not my kinda show (did see it once and never again lol)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on Sep 20 2009 12:52:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  11:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Being in the industry as long as I was, I am a haute-couture "blankity blank". I love fashion and all it entails. To look at me you'd never know as I wear jeans and tee's all the time, but I do enjoy it. And I miss it. To get fashion is to get art. My husband will go to an art museum with me but he doesn't "get it". There is no emotion or movement in the art form for him. For me, it's a story; it ebbs and flows. It has a high and a low. I connect with it. Haute' Courture and Avent Garde are not meant for every day, that's what makes them special creations, because they are usually one of a kind. Usually its an essence of something that extreme that trickles down to become a "fad" for us. For instance, the new scarves that every one is wearing with tank tops and t-shirts. Logically a scarf and a tank? Doesn't make sense but if you'd look back at last years Fashion Week in New York you'd see a lot of scarf-y types things happening. For me I love how fashion evolves and reinvents itself. Look at the 40's, and compare to the 80's and look around you now. It's all relevant. Bring on my stilleto's, and watch out Carrie!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'm rough & tough and I don't wear bloomers~ Nellie Braken 1887
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2888 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2888 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  1:41:40 PM  Show Profile
The fasion I would like to have & wear from Sex in the City......Carrie's stomach...nice 6 pack. Oh if only I had that!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  8:19:42 PM  Show Profile
I've never seen the show and the only time I wear heels is when I wear boots with heels. I love boots. I have plantar facsiitis so it hurts to wear anything too flat. There are some benefits to wearing heels. As long as they have a comfy insole.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  08:02:20 AM  Show Profile
I wear heels constantly...and, admittedly, it's a self esteem thing. I have great legs, but I'm short (5.3) and it makes me feel soooo much better. As a dancer, I was trained to look at the "line" of the body, and heels complete that line and lengthen my frame.

Having lived in NYC, I can say that there are PLENTY of "Carrie's" out there, walking around, but I was never one of them. That's not to say that I don't get dressed up, but my style was never runway--and my best friend is a seamstress and clothing inspector, and works EVERY fashion week for various designers, and our roommate was a (male) Calvin Klein model, but all in all, fashion for me should be and always was, ultimately, my essence. Who am I? What's my lifestyle? What "foot" do I present forward, and with what ease do I transition in and out of work, home, casual life and entertainment? I find that if you buy really good, quality pieces that are TIMELESS (not trendy) you have a much better toolbox with which to construct an image. Know what looks good on you, and stick with the variations, from head to toe. My husband always says I have this classy, casual elegance, like Katherine Hepburn. I'll take that!!! I will say this: I know when I'm not comfortable in something--even if it fits me perfectly, if it isn't me, then it goes in the goodwill bag!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  3:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i love high heels, even though i am 5' 8" with out any help.

as for high heels being created by men so that they have an excuse to watch our bottoms, i have to disagree. the modern version may have be adapted by men for that purpose, but the original high heels had a much more functional purpose. as far back as the 13th century, wealthy people wore thick soled, high heeled shoes called chopans over their slippers when going out in the streets. in those days the cities were grime infested and the tall shoes kept the wearer and their garments from getting dirty. one pair of chopans still in existance is 18 inches high! starting in the 17th century and lasting into the early 19th century, it was a common fashion statement for both men and women to wear fancy high heeled slipper and boots for any occasion.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  10:35:50 PM  Show Profile
I have watched Sex and the City, I love most of the fashion on the show, of course some of it is over the top but it just goes along with the "status" of the girls on the show. I design and make clothes all the time, for myself, my daughter and a few clients. I understand the allure of fashion and it's "status symbols". But these have been around for years. Fashion always showed where people ranked in wealth and position (this would explain some of those awful frocks the women of Sex and The City wore, LOL). As far as heels go I would wear them everyday if I could, sadly, I no longer can. Way back when they were used to "keep the women of the harem from escaping" LOL. But the High Heel has been attributed to Catherine de Medici, At the age of 14 she was engaged to the powerful Duke of Orleans, later the King of France. She was less than 5' and was insecure with her height so she had heels made for her so she could feel and look taller. I have included a few websites for you all to have fun with and look up the history of both the high heel and fashion. So have fun with these.

websites on the History of Fashion:
http://www.fashion-era.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_fashion_design
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/infocus/fashion/whatisfashion.html

websites on the History of High Heels:
http://www.mysexyhiheels.com/history/history.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-heeled_footwear
http://www.randomhistory.com/1-50/036heels.html

Farmgirl Sister #710

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  09:53:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! I have to say that I like the look of high heels, but I've never been very comfortable in them. And since I married a man the same height as I am (without the heels) I never have to wear them! I'm much more comfortable in a low wedge that gives me a little lengthening, but not too much height. DH doesn't really like it when I tower over him. :-)

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  12:53:29 PM  Show Profile
I have worn my medium heeled cowboy boots the past few days, they are cute and comfy lol.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  12:42:38 PM  Show Profile
I use to wear heels all the time when I was in my 20's and am paying dearly for it now. It's all about comfort for me these days, just trying to keep my back and knees from hurting. Occasionally I'll pull out some heels for a special night out.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  12:47:42 PM  Show Profile
I like the show and like looking at the fashions and shoes. Though my personal preference falls more in line with LL Bean than high fashion, I still like to imagine (isn't that what movies are for?) :)

I also work in an office so when I'm not pregnant I do wear heels, they make me feel girly.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  1:48:51 PM  Show Profile
I love heels and wore then most of the time when I was younger. Now there just doesn't seem to to as many occasions to wear them. I am short so I could wear heels and still not be tall. But I have little feet just a 5 1/2 to 6 so if the heels are too high I end up walking on the space between my foot and my toes. Ouch. I did it for years though. As far as fashion I never watched sex and the city but I am a seamstress so I do follow fashion to a point. Having three daughters I had to pay attention to so they could dress with the fads but not look like street walkers. That being said fashion is so undetermined. My oldest was into the almost gothic red plaids and black with platform boots and lots of buckles. The middle one was into black and comfy clothes but not the big boots and to occasional floaty skirt. The youngest was into Polo shirts, strappy tops with scarves, and hoodies that were mostly pink and black with heels straight from sex and the city. So I think fashion says something about the person but does not define them. I do think that prices have gotten totally stupid for anything considered fashion.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

ilene
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

ilene
westminster colorado
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  7:44:29 PM  Show Profile
The fabulous Sex in the City II necklace (the four-leaf clover with diamonds) can be had at any Payless shoe store for only about $12. There are supposed to be a series items from that series coming to that store.

"Fashion you can buy; style your must possess."

Ilene
Farmgirl 1547
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  4:29:59 PM  Show Profile
I like sex and the city, i have only really watched the movie, and I was quite impressed, going and looking for the two Ls Love and Labels, getting labels down early.... favorite line

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  8:36:02 PM  Show Profile
well you've all inspired me to try heels. Normally I avoid them, since I don't dress up much, and I feel tall in them (I'm 5'6 which I guess isn't terribly tall )

So I found some cute 3 inch.espadrille wedge sandals and have been wearing them the past few days. I am amazed at how comfortable they are.... and for some reason I feel longer-legged and thinner in them.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  04:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Some of the fashion on the show I like. Some of it looks like Carrie's closet threw up on her. I used to be such a fashion statement. I wore a lot of vintage men's clothing because the vintage women's clothing did not fit me. I have really long arms and kind of big shoulders. I would wear tail coats with skinny jeans and boots and a lot of hats. As for shoes, I always wore some kind of boots. I have a little collection of them...from little granny boots to knee high motorcycle boots. I can't wear heals very well since I had my left ankle shattered and have lots of replacement parts. I have some big scars and need support. Now a days I mostly wear coveralls or jeans and button down shirts, but still wear a lot of hats.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic sex and the city Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page