MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  11:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I just wanted to remind you to check with your local thrift stores about sales...what? Yes, sales! Our local Salvation Army is currently having a Labor Day sale which means that everything in the store is 50% off! I just stocked up on 7 like new dresses and tops for my 3 year old for $3.00 even! I even got a few cotton shirts that I loved the print on to cut up and use in quilt projects! You can't beat that! So ask! Our thrift store also gives a 10% Military, Student and Senior discount every day. So ask those questions, it can't hurt!

Melissa
Farmgirl #724

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without!

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:17:18 PM  Show Profile
thanks for sharing! thrift stores are my favorite... many now have those colored tags that imply a % discount for each day, which i love! and they DO have sales for holidays and seasons now, just like any other store!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  03:41:39 AM  Show Profile
I love thrift stores!
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://site.naturemaiden.com/blog1/ (Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  6:23:54 PM  Show Profile
UGH I didn't get a chance to go to the salvation army store today, I'll go tomorrow and see if the sale is still on.

Farmgirl Sister #710

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  6:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I picked up a almost brand spanking new puffy winter coat for $9 at the Salvation Army. I was just about to budget $49 for the one I wanted and it was the exact thing, even blue and orange. YEAH!! I also found a wicker laundry basket, a muffin tin and 2 children's books for $7 more. We get a military discount, so it was great. I love the Goodwill here, as they have everything labeled by size, including clothing and linens, which makes it so much easier.

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  7:24:21 PM  Show Profile
hi melissa! good point!

The Salvation Army next to the place I used to work, up in Victorville on 7th street would have really random sales. I would walk in on my lunch break and the lady at the counter would yell out, 'all clothing brought to the register in the 15 minutes is 50 cents each' I got this amazing vintage coat that was a bit big for me for 50 cents that day and turned around a few weeks later and sold it to a vintage store for $40! It was so amazing! ahhh... thrift stores. i love em.

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  7:34:26 PM  Show Profile
I love Thrift Stores too and when they have a sale - even better! One day I was dropping off some items and decided to go look. I was desperately in need of a pair of hiking boots (the perfect shoe to wear in Colorado :)). I prayed before I looked, "Lord, please help me find something I really need for a great price". I went in and was drawn to the shoe rack. I normally don't buy used footwear but felt I should look. There were so many ladies gathered there. And that's when I saw them: a brand new pair of all leather Vasque Hiking Boots just my size for only $5.00!!! I couldn't believe it. SOLD! I checked them out on the internet that night and the price was $249.00. The Lord is good!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  7:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Ladies, do you all know that Goodwill now has online auctions from all over the U.S.? Just type in http://www.shopgoodwill.com An account is free and they do accept credit cards and I think money orders. It's been awhile since I've been in there but every now and then you can get some really good buys that come from all over the country.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Heather Ann - you are one smart cookie! You made some good money on that deal. If I knew about that crazy thrift store, I would be camped out in front of it all the time! It would be a problem!
And Cheryl - That's awesome! I'm going to go check it out right now! I can't find a goodwill around me, I'm sure there's one somewhere, but the salvation army is all I know of right now. Heather Ann took me to a few in Upland and I have to say, I've been reliving those fond memories for the past week! Farmer's Markets, thrift stores, antique stores, oh my!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  08:14:13 AM  Show Profile
I found 2 skirts and a pair of short yesterday at St Vinces. All were 30% off. Pretty good deal around here. One of the skirts is a white eyelet lace. Its really beautiful...I just have to get over my fear of white....or tea dye it. I also scored at Goodwill a few days ago. I got a Coldwater Creek dress for 4.99 and 2 skirts for 3.99. One of the skirts was a Coldwater Creek and the other was a designer I cant think of. Score!
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  9:42:33 PM  Show Profile
I love that! I got my DD a Hannah Andersson dress (super expensive, great quality dress from Sweden) at the goodwill in perfect condition for $1.00! We have one we got for Christmas from Grandma one year that set her back $45! Not including the shipping and handling! I love the goodwill! Also found a really cute old enamelware mixing bowl at a thrift store two days ago and along with a darling hankie I only spent $8, including tax! Can I say it again? I love thrift stores!!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  06:03:23 AM  Show Profile
I stopped in to a Good Will in the city yesterday and scored
7 or 8 really nice new tops and a really nice yellow zipp up cardigan from tommy hilfiger for $2. I was having so much fun if i didn't have my kids with me, i might have got lost in there! Next time, i'm going
myself so i can browse as long as i want and look for some spring clothing.
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  8:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Love the Jr League and Hospice thrift store. I like to buy all their great Pendleton wool mens shirts for $2 and then I take them apart. Three matching shirts provide me with enough material for a dress. A $6 100% top quality wool dress!! And the tall mens shirts have enough length to allow me to use four to make slacks. $8 wool slacks that at Nordstroms were $85 Have done this with gingham check shirts, and linen shirts. Saw a gorgeous linen skirt at Macy's once for shy $75 and I made one from linen shirts for less than $12.

And for years I have made tec cup bird feeders and get my china cups for $3 at the thirft store. Good thing we dont have lots of tea drinkers where I live or they would buy all the beautiful china cups as soon as they came into the thirft store.

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  9:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Also wanted to suggest you take a wee magnifying glass with you when you shop in thrift store. With the price of gold and silver being what it is, I have gotten lots of real sterling silver, and 18k-24k gold clasp necklaces and bracelets on otherwise junky looking jewelry. Six nice clasps on junk jewelry that I paid $6 for gave me $20 worth of gold. And old bent, banged up sterling silverware (not silver plate) that I paid $7 for gave me over $30 worth of silver to sell.And the beads etc from the pieces I used in other craft projects.

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic sales at thrift stores! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page