prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  4:52:57 PM  Show Profile
do you paint your fingernails when you know you'll be working outside chipping them up? i've been having this dilemma... i've been choosing not to, opting to keep them natural. though i do miss painting them! as of now, i have "beet red" under my nails, a lovely natural color!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  5:22:22 PM  Show Profile
I paint my nails on Sunday evenings. then they are good for most of the week. While I'm working at my 'day job'. By the weekend i am ready to go natural again and dig in the dirt and play with the animals.

But my toenails are ALWAYS painted. MY little touch of feminine.
Go to Top of Page

DivaHick
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Megan
Alliance OH
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  04:13:38 AM  Show Profile
I stick with the toenails. I can paint them and have it last as long as I want without chipping, but the fingernails, I'm lucky if they last a day. Plus I feel like I can use weirder colors on my toes than my hands.

Yes I play the spoons, but I do it with perfectly manicured nails...
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile
What nails? I don't wear garden gloves (because you can't feel the potatoes!) and they snag and look snarly. And, then, of course, I bite them :) I stick with painting my toenails.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  11:22:11 AM  Show Profile
I have long nails and keep them painted because my husband likes them. I wear gloves to do everything. Washing dishes, scrubbing floors, working in the garden, playing with the animals, etc. They can be kind of annoying, but DH loves them so I try to keep them looking nice. I don't know how I kicked the habit, but I quit chewing mine a couple years ago.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  11:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I paint my toes is Cherry Red but my fingernails are short but painted in a nudeish color. Having to deal with daily chores and LOTS of paperwork at work, I can't function with long nails. The nudish color gives me some chic but doesn't show so much when it gets messied up a bit.

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  11:51:35 AM  Show Profile
I don't ever paint my nails either. Out door work is too hard on them. I do however, keep them nice and filed and clean.

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  11:58:23 AM  Show Profile
I let my nails grow long and paint them in the winter. In the summer I file them short and leave them natural while I'm in the dirt, grease and grime!

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  2:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
my finger nails tear so easily that i don't bother to paint them. my toe nails though are a different story, they are always painted. electric blue is the color of the week.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  3:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I paint my but it never last long. lol
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile
I usually don't paint my fingernails. Mostly because in the off pregnancy times, I bite my nails so there's nothing there to paint..hehe But I'm finding that whenever I paint them, they have a tendency to break off more easily.
So I stick to painting my toenails. I can't ever remember the last time they were natural..lol
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  05:54:54 AM  Show Profile
I go through phases on mine. Right now they are very sort and natural, but once I get a little length on them, I usually go for a really dark red or blackish color. It's the Rocker Chick in me. I do nude a lot, but I still like the darker colors. I did pink on the hands once, and it's just not me. My tootsies however, they are always done up. After working in a spa, I'm always adding decals to them too. Right now, they are hot pink (for Dutchy) and they have white flower sillouettes on them. I'm just a corn ball...

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  05:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Heather: Cherry Red? By Sally Hansen? One of my faves. It reminds me of that retro/vintage red that was worn in the 40-50's!

Ooooh! Here's a tip: Buff nails prior to polishing. It gives them a 'primed' feel and polish will grip better. Then, go get Chip Skip by OPI. That stuff is amazing and seriously,it will not chip off that easily.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington

Edited by - deeredawn on Sep 10 2009 05:58:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  2:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
I love to paint my toenails...makes them look pretty. I right now have a pretty plum color on them from victoria secret. I also like that new Sally Hansen nail brushes! A few weeks ago i had pretty lil' flowers on my toes and strips. Though my fingernails are rarely ever painted... either i chip them so quickly and the other thing is i can't stand long fingernails there usually around the quick of the nail! :)

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  3:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Dawn--Cherries in the Snow- Revlon..classic color...but I will try the Cherry Red by Sally Hansen. I tend to stick to reds or darker plums too.

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  06:19:24 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies, I am a Master Cosmetologist. Now I am an Instructor. I polis my toenails and not my fingernails. Working with alot of papers it rubs off. When I was in the salon I didnt polish my fingernails either because it would be off by the end of the day doing so many people. But I do have a really nice base coat that you ladies can get. It is called BONDER by Orly...you can get this at Sallys Beauty Supply..It is a rubberized base coat and will keep your polish on for up to 2 weeks.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  12:11:33 PM  Show Profile
I cannot keep up with painting my nails. I do make sure that they are trimmed and buffed though. And my toenails are always painted :) My color of the week is Hot Tamale, it's like the Red-Orange crayon :)

Thanks for the tip Deborah, I will have to check that out.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  1:53:43 PM  Show Profile
I like to keep my finger and toe nails cut short and filed into a nice shape. I also keep the cuticles oiled and pushed back. I like more of a natural polished look and if I do paint them it's usually just clear polish and of course lot's of hand/foot cream.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  7:11:14 PM  Show Profile
I know for a farm girl it is unusual but I get solar nails put on my fingers. My nails have always been very week, flaky and brittle. When I don't have fake nails on my nails are always torn off down into the quick and that hurts so for years I have worn fake nails. I also get my toes done once a month. I love the color in the summer with my flip flops and it keeps the feet soft along with my aloe vera infused socks. It is the only concession I make to a beauty routine. Right now they are all bright bright pink and sparkly. My daughter just graduated from college and she wanted me to do pink so I did. Normally it is medium purples and if I am feeling out there I have been known to do turquoise. I don't wear or buy make-up, fancy clothes and I wear my hair short with no color or anything. So I treat myself by getting my nails done.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  5:29:00 PM  Show Profile
I love to dig in the dirt too much for my finger nails to be painted - but my toenails are always painted when barefoot and sandle weather comes in.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Domestichippie
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Erika
Indianapolis In
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Domestichippie an AOL message
I paint mine all the time!. I keep them short though. i have deep nail beds which make them seem longer than they are. Ceramics requires short nails though.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  7:45:49 PM  Show Profile
I don't like keeping my nails long, otherwise they break. I'm a recovering nail biter, so it's sometimes tempting to start chewing! I do like to keep them painted though, and my toes always have a color on them too.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  9:08:56 PM  Show Profile
I love to paint my toenails, especially fun/weird colors. Last summer I was hugely pregnant,feeling gross and thought I'd paint my toenails. Picked out this really fun bright, sparkly blue. Did the paint job and realized how the color enhanced the wonderful spider/vericose veins that I get when pregnant. Lord it was horrible and hilarious at the same time! I don't think I've painted them since.

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Jun 02 2010 9:09:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  06:12:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh no Dana! I will be sure to stay away from blue from now on :)

I like to experiment too that's why I ask my husband to pick out colors for me to wear, sometimes steel blue/gray, moss green, cherry, orange you name it. I like having him pick out the colors that he wants to see :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile
I also avoid painting my nails anything other than clear or nude (I usually put on some sort of clearish coat, since my nails are so thin and break easily). My nails just chip if I use a color, I give up!
But my toenails I usually put a bright color on. right now, it's hot pink. I might change it to red or sparkly blue next week. Not sure yet. I just about live in barefeet, or flip flops all summer,so I take advantage of having some color on my toes.
Go to Top of Page

FarminKarmin
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Karmin
Alpharetta ga
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  5:31:58 PM  Show Profile
I have my toenails painted and my fingernail short and buffed. The buff shine last a week, even when I dig in the garden.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic painting nails Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page