Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What was your worst job ever?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What was your worst job ever? Next Topic  

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  11:53:31 AM  Show Profile
In honor of Labor Day, I thought we could tell about the worst job we ever had. I'm sure some of you have to have a gruesome tale about some evil boss or awful occupation. Here's mine-
Hands down it would have to be the E.D. Etnyre company. If you've ever paid attention to road crews and have seen the big tanker trucks that have the spray bars on the back that spray the hot oil on the road surface, there's a chance I built that spray bar. It was the worst 2 years of my life. It was hot, dirty and greasy. We had to work long hours and alot of weekends. There was only a handful of women that even worked in the production area of the factory. I was even pregnant with my third son while I worked there. I was quite the sight I'm sure, wielding an impact wrench at eight months pregnant sporting the DH's overalls with the sides unbuttoned. I'm shocked that my child even turned out okay considering all of the fumes I inhaled while working there. There was only two good things about working there. I have an extensive knowledge of tools now and I had awesome arms from wrenching on giant bolts. My arms have resorted back to their jiggly, flabby former selves though.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  12:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Working for an advertising agency as the typesetter. I like the job per se but the girl I worked with was very insecure and didn't want me there so tried her best to make my life h*ll. She succeeded quite well. I was single with two little kids and trying to make a living and this *(&T*#&%* lied about me and more. For some reason she had the boss's ear but he wouldn't listen to me. One day he flat asked me why I even came in to work, why was I there?? Now I realize that I could have sued them into a hole but I was such a mess from a divorce that I couldn't think straight. I just got up out of the chair and walked out, never to return. But, I did hear that later, that boss was fired because he started displaying some really irrational behavior and stated that he wanted to die in a hail of bullets with his estranged wife at his side. I kid you not...

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  12:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have always tried to enjoy myself in any task given me..it's inbred I think!! BUT...when I was in the military, part of the job was always cleaning...and having to clean up after other people I was even related to or care about just about pushed me over the edge. The worse was I had to maintain a bathroom that was used by officers (this is onboard a ship mind you..a big dirty already never clean no matter how hard you scrub it ship). I had JUST gotten done cleaning some rather disgusting toilets and one officer came in, did his business and left...leaving a...ahem...mess...behind. I chase him down the corridor and chewed him out about respect. I luckily didn't get written up been when I think about giving up because things get too hard I remind myself I could be right back scrubbing toilets!!! VERY motivating!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm a horseback riding instructor, with CHA, and even though I love the horses and what I DO, some of the PARENTS of kids I taught were from hell....... made me hate instructing and taking kids to horse shows. Eventually I quit, took a 9 month break, and then went back to it for a year. Then I got more cruddy people that liked to give me a hard time, and then I got married and moved. So, I quit a second time, and leased a new barn to work out of.... I am just now beginning to consider starting again, but memories of dealing with mean people will make me think twice about it. Not only are some parents mean and difficult, they don't like to pay you for what you do, either. THAT is hard to deal with.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com

Edited by - Hosanna on Sep 04 2009 12:13:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  12:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Telemarketer was the most awful job i have EVER had in my life :(
The best is the one I have now lol. Mail carrier.
MY first one was great too, assistant manager in a shoe store and later became the manager in same store :) Been there for almost 14 years, YAY!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  12:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Receptionist for the "merchant of shame", Solomon Smith Barney (or Smith Barney Shearson, or ultimately, Smith Barney--the name literally changed 4 times my first year there). I was 20, it was a BIG BOYS Club and they treated women like garbage. I knew I was in trouble when one of the older receptionists said, "Do yourself a favor, honey, go out and buy the biggest fake diamond ring you can find, and put it on your left hand. They might not leave you alone, but they may be a little more cautious!" It was like fighting off an octopus at times. Never mind that I was close in age to their daughters.

They were voted by an NOW as the Merchant of Shame for all the sexual harrassment and gender descrimination that were filed against their brokers and branch managers.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  1:05:56 PM  Show Profile
My 1st job, which I started in the 7th grade & did all the way until the 10th grade! YIKES!. I sorted bottles at the local Pony Keg, twice a day for $1 a day. I rarely if ever missed a day, even when I got into my teen years & wanted to socialize more, I still had to go back home by 9 to sort bottles. They were dirty, yucky & many. I quit in the 10th grade when I figured out I could give 3 guitar lessons at $2.50 each, work 1 1/2 hours & make more than I did all week "doing the bottles". Never looked back, but boy did that teach me some discipline!
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  1:17:29 PM  Show Profile
>> << Couple of years ago, tom was out of work, so I had to scramble to find something in the meantime. So, since I've got experience, (family other companies, etc.) I went to work for a cleaning company.

What I didn't know about the company was, that they used some people who were, lets see...what was called "Work Release" persons. Where we lived in S.C., that title was given to high school kids, so they could leave campus, work whatever job they had, get some amount of credits for the work, and make minimum wage to boot. Sooo...I'm thinking, well, that's just fine!

Except that the work release people were being released for the day from Prison, and the employer had them working for some kind of "wage" that she and the city/state arranged. For the most part, the women and men were pretty nice to me, treated me fairly decently. But it was one of the scarest days when I had to ride to a job site with one of the "supervisors" with a handful of other men, a few who were there for the day from one of the area prisons. I had no idea about this till about a week later...but at the time thot it was odd that these guys were bragging about the guns they carried on them...what they could do to other people (whether this was to scare me or not I'venever known) etc., etc.

I left the job after less than a month...the work load was horrible, and some of the women who were the managers were out right viscious. They called me a couple days after christmas, asking me why I hadn't come back to work..I came up with some kind of lame excuse, an' left it at that.

I know that it is one of those jobs that will always have openings at various companies, but there will have to be some kind of Gigantor problem before I'm ever gonna go back to that again.

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Once I spent the whole holiday season managing one of those mall kiosks.... I wrote names in glue and glitter on cheap red/white christmas stockings/hats/ornaments. One time, I had this guy come up to the kiosk and buy something but then pay with a really large bill and kept trying to change what kind of change he wanted? Luckily I realized what a scam he was pulling and had to call for security. He tried to grab my at my cash drawer but I slammed it. He got away. I got covered in glitter and glue.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  3:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Working in the offices of a major utility company where unless you wore $200 shoes and carried matching purses, etc., etc. ad nauseum you were less of a person. The most important thing to some of these women were their red velvet drapes and poodles and they were the fakest, most ridiculously insincere people I've ever met in my life. They were constantly bickering between them and talking about others behind their backs...it was brutal!
Heather I would scrub toilets any day before I'd ever work there again.
Di

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  3:24:34 PM  Show Profile
My first job was being the janitor at the one room country school that I attended. I got paid $5 a month to sweep the floor every day and wash the black boards. After we got the new school house that had indoor plumbing, I then got $15 a month but had to clean the restrooms once a week and dust the vanisian blinds once a month. BUT the worst job was bookkeeper for the family business and had to work for my M-I-L. The best thing I learned from her was how to be a good M-I-L. She was the MIL from hell so I knew what not to do when my kids got married. I did like the bookkeeping job part of it. I spent a lot of my time working with our CPA. That, I liked.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  6:57:22 PM  Show Profile
My part time, holiday job at Joann's Fabric. The "part time" was literally 40 hours a week and the "holiday" part? Well, I finally resigned at the end of January after waiting for them to tell me when my last day would be.

I will NEVER step foot in a Joann's the day after Thanksgiving as long as I live!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  7:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Actually I just started and quit my worst job ever. I have worked in early childcare most of my adult life, when I worked outside the house. I got a job at a local Christian School in their Preschool. There was absolutely no training and the woman who runs it is so controling that you can't even move things around in the classroom without her ok. Now I am not talking about for safety reasons but for the fact that she has to control everything. Also the only way you learn you have done something against the rules is when you are berated. I lasted a month. Loved the children but the job was not worth it.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  7:24:47 PM  Show Profile
I can honestly say that I have never really had a terrible job. The last one I was at, was the most stressful job I've ever done, but I worked for family, so it was demanding in different ways.
It is neat to hear all the different places you all have worked.:D
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  07:40:10 AM  Show Profile
I too have never had a terrible job but two that were very hard. I spent a summer cutting and spliting cords and cords of wood. Then when it was all stacked nice and straight someone would order a load and it would have to be loaded, hauled and restacked. Made for great arms and abs tough. Refueling jets all day was the hardest but great thighs and small waist from dragging that huge hose.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  08:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Melody, did you refuel jets in the Navy? I worked on the flight deck as an Aviation Ordnanceman.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  10:25:36 AM  Show Profile
In many ways,the job I currently have is the worst one.I had to quit the afternoon shift as the supervisor has hated & harassed me so badly (a female,holier than thou control freak who loves to spout her Christianity) that the manager over her removed me from the afternoon shift and I've been the morning shift ever since for my own safety/sanity) The woman made it horrifically stressful to be there. I still have to deal with her to a degree on morning shift,but there are other supervisors I can go to should I need assistance. I've been there 6 years. You'd think she'd be used to my being there-tho I know she'll cluck with glee whenever I leave for good. No kidding-this woman will yell and scream at you for whatever reason she deems fit. She's been to anger management classes,but I personally don't feel they've helped much. A true office bully to the core-she even throws temper tantrums with co workers of the same rank if she doesn't get her way on something. Oddest thing I've ever witnessed in an office type environment...aside from the fact they have accepted and put up with her dysfunctional nature. None of my co workers or myself have received a raise in over 3 years.

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  8:17:11 PM  Show Profile
I guess I have been lucky that I have never had a truly aweful job. I have done lots of things like working for a submarine company, a railroad building company, a short wave radio operator, a shoe model etc. etc. Now I do horse rescue. The only jobs I would say were bad were when I first worked with one of my sisters-in-law at a bank the then later with a different sister-in-law at a submarine company. The companies weren't aweful just the sisters-in-law. OMG what a nightmare they are. I must say I truly love my job now.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  9:04:01 PM  Show Profile
No horrible jobs here....but lots of jobs!
Candy counter girl at a one-screen theater
teacher's assistant
Fry cook
dishwasher at a bakery
film runner at the Tropicana in Vegas
dresser for a runway show at the Mirage
daycare worker
preschool teacher
photographer
high school teacher
bartender
private tutor
assistant dive master
assistant rain forest tour guide
line handler on a yacht through the Panama Canal
mommy

One sad story: when I was working at the daycare, I saw a co-worker hurt a child. I reported it to my boss, there was "an investigation", but I was the newbie, and the person was still working there the next day, but my hours had been cut. I told the parents of that one child what I saw and I quit. I couldn't work in a place that would let a person continue to work with children who had done what I saw.

Other than that, I thought the other jobs were really interesting in different ways.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Sep 05 2009 9:08:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  09:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Once I got a job at a Mom & Pop, Office Supply place. I hated that job from day one, but I needed the income. One particular day in winter I wore this blouse under a sweater that just wouldn't stay where it was supposed to. I waited until I was alone in the storefront to fix it and as I pulled my hand out from under my sweater, the owner saw me and thought I was SHOPLIFTING.....she fired me.....

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  11:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Worst job ever..... was the short lived dietary aide/cook for the nursing home kitchen. I love cooking just not food that has no taste and is barely edible. And to cook under pressure is even worse! The final straw was working for nearly a month to get my first paycheck only to have it bounce. That was one job that didn't get a two week notice. More like an apron thrown at the manager and told where to take that job.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  09:13:06 AM  Show Profile
The worst job I had was being a hotel maid. Very hard work, for crappy pay. Plus some of it was very gross.
I only did it for one day.
The other job I hated was pizza delivery. I did that one for day too. Some very creepy/scary people order pizza. I was so terrified. I thought I was going to be kidnapped or something.

My Mom had to go up and thump on the counter and threaten the owner to get my pay check for that day.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  8:41:25 PM  Show Profile
Candy Striping....(a glorified "bottom cleaner" in the nursing home)

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  10:24:04 PM  Show Profile
hmmm. In college in I had a retail job at a touristy shop where I had to remove all the "Made in China" stickers and lie to the customers that all items were locally (Texas) made. The second day on the job I was chastised by the manager for not wearing a skirt and pantyhose, though the one other salesgirl was in ratty jeans and had tatoos from fingertips to neck - the manager's daughter-in-law of course. I left on lunch break and never came back.
I was a flight attendant for years, and though it was 75% great I ultimately quit, after a few years I just got sick of dealing with mean, rude, misogynistic, self-important jerks who assumed I was dumb or uneducated by nature of being a "stew."

Farmgirl Sister #204

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on Sep 08 2009 10:26:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What was your worst job ever? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page