ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  11:48:13 AM  Show Profile
I am looking for good "tried and true" freezer recipes/helpful hints for my family. I work 40+ hours as a church secretary, go home to help hubby with the farm, and have a 9 month old to take care of. I have never tried to do this before and I am looking for advice from those of you who have. My husband is a big eater, so recipes for big portions are not a problem. Also, has anyone tried to make pancakes or waffles ahead of time and freeze them? Mornings are very busy at our house, but my husband expects to have breakfast every morning, and cereal just doesn't cut it...anyone have any luck with freezing either of those? Any other "make ahead" suggestions for breakfast/supper?

Thanks for your help!

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  3:00:20 PM  Show Profile
I've frozen waffles and pancakes. I just let them cool then place between pieces of wax paper and put in a freezer bag. I reheat mine in the toaster but my kids reheat sometimes in the microwave and said they are still good. To me the microwave makes them mushy and make sure you watch them in the toaster that they don't burn. I use a toaster oven and they taste fine to me.
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  5:05:21 PM  Show Profile
I have already posted this but incase you didn't see the other post...
Here is one where you can cook now and freeze. I always wait until hamburger or ground turkey is on sale and make a triple batch
FOUR-in-ONE Meat sauce
This is the base sauce for spagetti, sloppy joes , tacos, and Chili
3 lbs of hamburger or ground turkey
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped green peppers
4 cloves of garlic
3 (15 oz) cans of tomato sauce
1 T worcestershire Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste.

Combine meat onion ,pepper,and garlic in a Dutch Oven . Cook untill meat is brown and crumbled. (you may have to add a little oil is the meat is lean) Drain any grease add tomato sauce worcestershire salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 mins . Cool and then pour into freezeable containers.
Then simply heat and the meat sauce is sloppy joes or hot dog chili . Add Kidney beans chili powder and hot sauce to become Chili with beans. Or add a pack of taco mix to make tacos
For spaghetti add one 15 oz jar or can of you favorite spagetti sauce and add to noodles.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  9:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Ashley,
Do a search for Once a Month Cooking. You'll find lots of info and great ideas to get you started.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezer Recipes/Helpful Hints Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page