MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  9:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone out there read the Love Comes Softly Series? I loved the Hallmark Channel movies and always wanted to read the books, but could never find them at the library and I have trouble bringing myself to order books online...Last month I found the entire series on eBay for just $30 dollars! That's 9 books and they are all in excellent, practically new condition! She said she bought them all, read the first one and didn't like it, so she sold the whole series! Imagine! Anyway, I just wanted to put out into the Farmgirl universe that these are *great* farmgirl books about the strength of women back in the wagon train days and their determination to make happy families in even the harshest conditions. I love them! Any readers feel free to comment, good or bad welcome!

Melissa

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without!

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:33:22 PM  Show Profile
I have read all of them and watched all the movies. The first one is my favorite though!

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Me too! The movie and the book, first one is the best.

Melissa

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  10:40:23 AM  Show Profile
I have read the first two, but can;t find the others here. Maybe someday because I loved them!! They are wholesome and a great read. Highly recommended :)

OH and saw 3 movies on tv, our Hallmark channel is showing those 3 on a regular basis. Just wished they showed the others too, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on Aug 29 2009 10:41:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  3:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Dutchy - I'll keep my eye open for the next few books for you. I've not seen them in stores here either - I just happened to find them on eBay as an entire set. You could check there. But if I see them, I'll swoop them up for you! :-) I agree, they are such a fun wholesome read...I love a good story with a strong female character overcoming a hardship and a happy ending. Good stuff.

Melissa

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  10:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I've watched them all. well almost all and read all the books too. There so good!!!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  7:45:20 PM  Show Profile
I've seen all the movies but have not read the books yet. I would love to though :) I bet they are so much better than the movies.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 06 2009 3:21:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  06:34:50 AM  Show Profile
WHat an awesome series. I tend to read the Love Comes Softly series every winter, its a comfort thing. Did not know there was a movie. I also like the series of 4 books about the Canada Wilderness, can't think of the name, the main guy is a Mountie.

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  4:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Carol, you should check out the movies! There is a movie for every book in the series, though the first one is the closest (I think) to following the storyline of the book. But they are all excellent movies. You just have to keep an open mind and not get hung up on any differences between the two. The man they got to play Clarke was great, and I really liked the adult Missie too (I think she starts in the 3rd movie). Great books, great movies!

Melissa

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  5:51:30 PM  Show Profile
I will look for the movies, would they be Hallmark movies or could I just find them at Target?

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  5:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Melissa, I just read the first post... didn't even think about ebay. Take good care, Carol

Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  5:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Carol - you can get the books and the movies on-line at amazon.com, they also have a few of the movies at our Target. They are Hallmark movies, but they do sell them at places like Target, even sometimes at Barnes and Noble or Borders, places like that. I got the set of books on ebay and have two of the movies that I got at Target. But they have a movie set at Amazon.com that I am drooling over! Maybe if I drop enough hints to the DH, I'll get it for x-mas!

Melissa
Farmgirl #724

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  5:12:35 PM  Show Profile
I am searching for the series also. I love the movies! I have alot of Janette Oke books that I purchased used and they are great. Ebay is a great place to get them as most of the ones I have from Oke came from there.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  5:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Melissa, I would really like a set, and I will look more later. I might ask for them for Christmas, I can never think of any thing I want! Carol

Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  09:17:36 AM  Show Profile
I agree with those who said the first one is best (movie and book). This is a wonderful series. The author's Canadian mountie series was wonderful also.

~So many books, so little time~
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  6:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
I have read the whole series plus the series molded after the character's grandadughter. I love reading Christian Romance!

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  10:16:06 AM  Show Profile
I am asking for the continuation (about the granddaughter) for Christmas and am looking for the Canadian Mountie series - our local library has NO, absolutely ZERO Janette Oke books! Can you believe that? Part of me wants to donate my books after I read them, but the other part, the more selfish part, says that I love them too much and will read them over and over again! Oh what's a poor sister to do? Maybe when i have a little extra cash lying around, I'll get the library a copy of at least the first one. Then if a lot of people check it out, they might take the hint and buy more!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  11:16:13 AM  Show Profile
I suggest saving them to read over!! Can your library get them on loan from another area library? You may have to wait a bit, but it will be worth it.

how sweet it is to love some one, how right it is to care
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  11:46:11 AM  Show Profile
Carol, that's what I had to do when I wanted to read the mountie series. Put them on hold and wait for them to come from other libraries.

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  8:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Our entire Library system has no Oke books! Can you believe that? I can't even order one from a different branch! I'm considering going to the town just south of us to see if their system has any! But I have patience and am looking at the 25 cent bin everytime we go as well as the thrift stores. Sometime I'm bound to find one! I found one not too long ago and set it outside the bathroom (DD always picks the worst times to have to go) and when we came out it was gone! The rest of the stack was there, but someone dug through and stole just that one! Doh!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Love Comes Softly Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page