Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What do you do in March on your farm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What do you do in March on your farm? Next Topic  

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  8:56:29 PM  Show Profile
March around here just seems to be the month that wants to be spring, but isn't quite. I'm wondering what you all do on your farms/yards during this month. Here, it's time for removing or turning under mulch, lightly tilling in manure/compost for planting areas and some last-minute garden planning, as well as starting seeds indoors and making sure lambing "season" is going well, or as well as it can go, sometimes.

It's extrordinarily windy in these parts, I think. Spring is especially crazy with wind, and I way toying around with the idea of a farm "kite-fest" each March. Does that sound fun to anyone? It does to me, but sometimes it's easy to think that your own ideas sound good, right?

March is also the time of new chicks usually - we're not getting any this year, but the past few years we have, and that cheeping - it's just irresistable!

I've been trying to create a monthly "schedule" or at least listing of things that I need to be sure to accomplish around here as well as the things that happen naturally, so, over the course of the next however many number of years, I'll get to know the seasons and happenings around here better...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  05:25:22 AM  Show Profile
Good March Morning from One Acre Farm (run by cajungal and her daughters...hubby just eats the harvests)

February is actually a bit busier for me than March. I guess because it's already warm and the danger of cold temps is gone. Although, I have planted too early in Feb. just to have nature tell me that I'm not in control!

First, we rake and burn. It takes a few weekends to get all the winter debris cleared. This year we had more to clear because of the Rita hurricane. It's a family event....we all take our rakes and sheets and just get after it. (the sheets are used for dragging the leaves and stuff to the burn pile) I do mulch quite a bit of it, but there is just so much. So, after it burns, the ash is added to the compost pile, added to plant beds and sprinkled over the lawn.

Next, I transplant the plants that have been in a small hot house since November. I try to grow non-hybrids so I can save the seeds. So, each season, I've got something growing in a seed pot waiting its turn to get in the ground. My hot house isn't really a hot house.....it's some wood shelves alongside the garden that I cover with plastic and add a light for heat so the little sprouts don't freeze. Nothing fancy, but it works. The plastic is removed and the shelves used as my work area and for cuttings and other transplants to grow for the purpose of selling.

All the herbs, plants, shrubs, etc... that have "freezer burn" get clipped back. I hate the scraggly look of the plants but I'm always happy when I see the beautiful new growth and flowers that comes later.

The chicken coops get "detailed" and all the litter and droppings get put in the compost. The goat pen and the pig pen get the same attention and everyone has a clean start for the year. The outside refrigerator also gets a cleaning. It's used to hold things for customers....self serve if I'm not here.

The tractor, which has been started a few times in the winter, is looked over and run around to make sure it's in working condition. Ya' know how there's just something about a girl and her horse? Well, I think there's also something about a girl and her tractor!

Now, in March, I'm getting annuals and perennials in all the plots around the house. I just love the burst of color! Some of my annuals actually survived the one frost we got and are still growing....I love that....don't have to spend money on new ones!

I've been drying my herbs over the winter and have jarred them up for sale at our local feed store.

March is when we start up our tours for preschools, homeschools and small groups. We've got'em lined up starting St. Patrick's day. So, we make sure we have all the giveaways ready and we give the animals a good talkin' to...makin' sure they're on their best behavior....gotta smile for those kiddos!!

Ongoing all the time throughout the year is cooking, canning, drying, sewing, quilting, crocheting, and other handwork.

So, for me March is actually a time to relax a bit and just keep on top of watering everything. This peace will only last a couple of weeks, because then the weeds start growing and I start pulling. Plus, I keep up with continuous plantings so as to have harvest every few weeks.

Wow, I kinda' wrote a novel. I think I'll copy it and use it as my manual!!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  06:36:29 AM  Show Profile
It's still too cold here to do too much but get ready. It's time to finish the fruit tree pruning that should've been done in January and February. We need to get the tiller in, and get it serviced and tuned up. The lawnmower is in right now getting the snow blower and wheel weights off and the mower deck on, which is funny because it's snowing out right now. Seeds should be ordered and on their way, but I haven't done enough yet. Plants should be chosen. I want to put in a nice shade garden on the west side of my house around the lilac bush. I used to have little seedlings starting under lights at this time, ready to move out to a hot bed and then a cold frame for hardening off before putting them in the garden.

The horses are all being dorks right now! They all have the winter broodmare attitude of not wanting to work or be separated. That takes time and retraining every spring. By the riding season they'll be just fine with it.

It's good to go through your root cellar now and dump the old potatoes and onions, and squishy squash.

It's also a good time to reevaluate your growing habits. Once I put up so many green beans I had enough to serve them twice a week for a year. We were SICK of green beans, but I could hardly make myself stop growing or canning them! I hardened my resolve and gave a lot of the plants that year to the cow. Good legumes, right?

I also try and get my fill of the hearty soups, breads, and casseroles that I'll abandon like old news in summer! Summer is time for seasonal salads, fruits, and barbeques. I don't ever make a casserole then, let alone hot soups. A little vichyssoise or gazpacho, yes....

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  11:42:22 AM  Show Profile
I don't do near as much as you ladies but I started my seeds in February. So I'm keeping up with those and building my raised beds and getting those planted. Getting my compost gathered which includes cleaning up dead leaves. Pulling weeds that have already sprouted. This year is going to be a little different for me as I'm getting ready to move this month so unfortunatly I'll be inside packing a lot this month.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  6:26:22 PM  Show Profile
I will get the 2 ewes and the angora goat sheared in a couple of weeks, start the tomato plants this next week for sure, and do alot of prep work ...too early to plant for sure, but I need to get the boxes for my new raised beds built, and some fences in. I need to do chicken house clean up and ordering chicks if I decide to raise meat chickens this year..havn't decided yet. I am going to locate some ducks for sure...I just want a couple. Need to get the lines back up on my clothesline and get my seeds and garden plan together..
Meanwhile I am getting in to the milking routine with Mona, and have a buyer all ready for Norman the calf..he will leave next Saturday (Sniff...sigh) and sold my ram too...getting a new ram lamb in August and don't need to feed the old ram until then if he isn't staying anyhow. At least he is going to a home where he wont' be eaten...just get to be for breeding and wool..and I will be able to visit him. I will be able to visit Norman too..but will try not to get too awfully attached.
I really need to do alot of spring cleaning and stuff too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  6:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, what do you do with your angora goat hair? Do you keep it? Sell it?

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  6:55:59 PM  Show Profile
I spin it and always have extra...I like to sell or trade it sometimes. It is white and pretty fine. She is 2 years old but on the small (sort of stunted..she was a preemie..a very spoiled preemie) You probably know that angora goat's producte Mohair..it is wonderful stuff..silky and almost clear fibers..that take dye better than anything else I have tried.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  8:57:46 PM  Show Profile
March is the month I have this burning desire to rent a power washer and go for it! Everything is covered in moss and grime and just looks grubby this time of year. I'll have to talk DH into it tactfully though...last time he rented me one I "accidently" powerwashed the bottom cedar on the house and discovered this beautiful honey-colored cedar beneath the grime. A month later we finished the entire house and returned the washer...lol. Sure looked nice though, the previous owners had treated all the cedar exterior with used crankcase oil..yik!
I have the greenhouses tilled and ready to go and will get spring greens and peas in there this week to get an early crop. Peas can go into the regular garden this month if it ever dries out enough. I need to get the fence line of the garden lined with wet newspaper with spoiled hay on top to keep the grass from creeping in. I pulled out and gave away all the old strawberry plants and should have 300 Tristar arriving from the wholesalers next week, so need to uncover and screen some compost to put in their beds. In the meantime, the chickens have had a field day scratching up all the bugs and worms from where I pulled the old plants.
Like Aunt Jenny, I'm trying to decide whether to do meat birds this year as well. Mostly it's just a matter of enough time. We have new folks in the neighborhood this year with a mobile chicken-dressing business which is great. For $2/bird they come here, kill, clean, wash, bag and take away all the entrails and feathers. Worth every cent to me!
By mid month I will have most of the bedding plants started...onions, peppers, tomatoes, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and all the annual flowers. I wish there was some way of economically heating the greenhouses so they didn't have to be hauled down there every day. That gets to be quite a chore.
Mustn't forget to clean out the old birdhouses too. The birds are all singing their love songs in the mornings now...I love that, particularly the wrens.
Busy month March is!!
Di on VI

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile
well, I dont have a farm YET, but I just spent the last 3 days, raking, clearing the winter debris, getting my garden shed in order.
My arms are a little sore and I feel GREAT! Love it. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  11:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
New here, and jumping right in!

This will be only our second year here, and it being completely different zone then I am used to, we are still working out what needs to be done and when. We do however, have a list of things to get done before spring rounds the corner.

While the weeds are down, we will be cleaning out as much debri and garbage as we can. It is still somewhat cold here, but if the sun is out and its above 30, we busy. We also have some trees and bushes that need to be trimmed or removed. If the good weather holds out, I am sure we will start working the ground for the acre of sweet corn, and tiling the vegetable gardens. Mostly we are planning and making lists. What seeds we need for the gardens, were to put any new trees, and supplies needed for upstairs renovation. With so much to be done over the summer months, we need to be prepared.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  11:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for filling me in! I am loving reading these, and they are inspiring me to get more organized and more prepared for summer. I don't know how you all do it - I am so impressed. Being a fairly new farmer, already you all have filled me in on some things that I can do around here that I never would have thought of in the first place: an outside refrigerator, checking up on my growing habits (I started 12 tomato plants - do I really use that many tomatoes?!?!?), tighten my clothesline lines...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  12:45:14 PM  Show Profile
We tap maples in March to make maple syrup. We also start seeds in the greenhouse and cold frames. And usually, we shovel some snow, complain that spring will nevvvvvvvver get here and rejoice every day that it's warm and sunny!

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  06:32:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Robin, ever sell any of that maple syrup??

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  08:40:56 AM  Show Profile
don't have farm 'critters' .. just two olde english sheepdogs .. but this merry month of march .. honey hunk (with MAJOR help from a farmer neighbor) is building a huge yard fence (wood) to contain our DAWGS in the mornings .. so when we let them out for a 'romp and a pee' .. they don't disappear over the hill or in the woods! i've started 'cleaning up' the gardens by raking them .. and giving our wood outdoor furniture a fresh coat of paint .. and just general 'tidying' up. i've been buying flowering plants for indoors .. and will clean up and paint some olde pots in readiness for seeds and seedlings. (a friend showed me some clay pots she had spray painted with CHALK board paint .. and then she chalks what the seeds or herb or flower or veggies she will pot in them! (i'm gonna' do that today!)

i love this time of the year! (we still will probably have a few freezes .. sooo .. i'll try not to rush the season by planting too soon!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  09:58:13 AM  Show Profile
March is one of our busiest months. We sow all our spring seed out side in March. We are inoculating logs for our mushrooms. Getting fields ready for planting. Mulching, weeding garlic. Mulching and weeding around pathways and permanent beds. This year we are also putting up fencing. Continue to nurse the baby plants inside and repot when necessary.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  5:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!!! My DH and I have put in a row of peas, tilled some beds, put in a long cutting row of dahlias bulbs the neighbor gave me last year, fushia in color. A huge bag of fushia and kashmir colored glads. Trimmed the scruffy lavender hedge, planted a small bed of lettuce and trimmed some roses. Now whenever there is a break in weather we will run out and stake a tree, add a plant prune, etc. Really looking forward to the garden this year. As I'm done reproducing, nursing babies and almost got one more potty trained. WooHoo Happy Farmin, Holly Dee
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  6:50:19 PM  Show Profile
It is so exciting to see what everyone is doing on their farms at this time. I am always daydreaming about what I would be doing on my farm in whatever the current season is. It makes me crazy sometimes but it also makes me look up and learn new things that I will need to know so at least I am getting something useful from my daydreaming! Thank you for these posts! I am definitely enjoying them!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  8:17:13 PM  Show Profile
It makes me realize how behind I am!! I'd better look through again and make a "to-do" list.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  10:07:08 PM  Show Profile
I just re-vamped my to-do list (again)! You know, one of the things that I didn't mention is that during THIS March, I am shoveling snow! It snowed about 3 inches yesterday and the day before here. Oh well - it's beautiful, and I'm having to remember, "In like a lion...out like a lamb!"

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  05:01:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by westernhorse51

Hi Robin, ever sell any of that maple syrup??

Michele, I don't because of the licenses and trouble it would be for the small amount I make.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  12:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I have started some seeds indoors which I think my have veggies before I can put them outside. The blue hubbard squash babies are so big!! I am also going to try my hand at maple syruping. Tapping trees today. Can't wait to boil it down. Other wise I am wishing the snow away and planning my garden. I went to Fla. for a week which was a terrible tease. I have spring fever so bad!!!!!

Stacy

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What do you do in March on your farm? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page