Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS??? Next Topic
Page: of 5

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  07:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yup . . . I'm a tired caregiver.
Yup . . . I'm wondering if anyone ever really thinks about how worn-out caregivers (for those who can't care for themselves or their family or their homes) get.
Yup . . . I'm wondering . . .
Anyone out there feel that way . . . like I do???

I understand! I raise my glass to you . . .(with my tired arms)
GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!!!!

CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

Edited by - ceejay48 on Dec 16 2009 9:27:11 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
CJ- I certainly understand where you are coming from! I used to care for my grandfather when my parents moved him home so he could live witht hem instead of at a nursing home. It was hard work, and we had a visiting nurse coming by several times a week and my dad did all the Depends changing.

Have you looked into having a visiting nurse come by for a couple hours a week so you can get out of the house, or take a nap, or maybe evne just a hot bath...aka YOU time? Or looked into respite care? Whom are you taking care of? If it is an elderly person, do they qualify for hospice to come help out too? Let me know if I can be of any assistance! I am not an expert but I have had some experience with setting things up for arranging some help.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh, CJ. I am so there with you. I'm in the midst of not only care giving, but refereeing the family members that want to clean my aunt out -- WHILE SHE'S IN THE HOSPITAL!!!!!!!! You may see a post about this soon, as I'm just about as exhausted as I can get. Farmgirl, I will be saluting you tonight with my cup of tea. And I'll add a prayer for strength and thanks for you, and all those like you! And I so agree with Alee. If nothing else, take enough time to soak in a hot bath, and dream of a perfect farm, or garden, or flowerbed, or anything else that you really love!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  09:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Gosh, I have been one of those overly tired care givers for I don't know HOW many years. The last few years mom suffered from severe and aggressive dementia (plus schizophrenia) It is SO exhausting. Had to do it all on my lonesome, no family, one brother awol and the other just .....ah well, nuf said.

Take care of yourself too sweetie. I didn't (couldn't as I was the only one around mom) but taking just even a few mins a day just for YOU is so important.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile
I know how you feel I help take care of my DH's gramma 3 days a week and I help my mom take care of my dad the rest of the week. It's very hard but worth it. I love spending quiality time with them all. I also enjoy my sleep when I get it.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  12:36:20 PM  Show Profile
I am moving my parents in the first of September. I just don't want them to go to the nursing home yet. They actually seem fine with it. There are days my Dad doesn't remember that he is moving. I just hope that all goes well when the move happens and that they will be happy here. I know it will be challaging, but I know I will be glad I did at least try.
Here's to you and all who share the same!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  2:42:18 PM  Show Profile
I am so there with you!!!!!! My hubby has been sick for the last four months he can't work no Dr. knows what is wrong with him and he just slowly gets worse and worse he can barely walk now. I also work at a facility for Mentaly challanged adults so when I get a break at home I get to go caregive for a living. I AM TIRED!!! God bless all those that can handle and have to take care of others needs it is very exhausting frustrating work.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  6:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
[size=2]WOW!!! It's SO-O-O-O ENCOURAGING to see that I (we) are not alone out there. Boy howdy, it sure seems like it doesn't it.

I am a caregiver for my younger sister who is brain-injured and disabled and totally dependent on others from a horseback riding accident a little over 3 years ago. Her husband is also a caregiver, so I'm not there 24/7, but because she is my "little sister" it SO-O-O-O-O-O mentally and emotionally exhausting on a day-by-day basis. It is physically challenging when I work with her.

I DO have time a my house (1/2 mile up the road) but it seems like I don't have the TIME to take care of my housecleaning, chores, etc., etc. AND then there is no time to sit and relax because too much else is pressing . . .

. . . ya know what I mean???

So, to all of you THANKS FOR LISTENING, THANKS FOR SHARING, THANKS FOR CARING, THANKS FOR ENCOURAGING. . .

. . . we need to stick together and hold each other up!!!!!

CJ

[/size=2]

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 22 2009 7:07:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  6:56:31 PM  Show Profile
CJ so sad about your sister. That takes such an emotional and physical toll. I feel for you. It truely is just a one day at a time. Hang in there and know you are not alone. I feel better just knowing we are all here for eachother. Hang in there I will pray for you.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  7:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry . . . I didn't mean to make my last post so BIG and "loud" . . . I've tried to edit it but it doesn't change.

SORRY!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  7:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi CJ- There are two size modifiers in your post. You'll have to delete both to get the size to change.

*hugs* I am sure that it is super hard being a caregiver for your sister. You are a wonderful lady to be doing so much to help her. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  7:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I am a caregiver for MR/MH clients. I only do that about 50 hours a week. I couldnt even fathum doing it at home. At least when i leave work i am able to forget all that stress, not go home to it. My hat is off to all you ladies.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  8:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Claudia my hat goes off to you!! I too do the same job as you and it is a difficult job but one that has so many rewards. I wouldn't trade it for the world, it is just difficult to go home to more problems and sick loved ones. Never much time for a break. Sorry don't mean to be winey it is late and I am tired. Hang in there all of you.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  06:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Alee . . .I was tired and didn't want to attempt any more . .
better luck next time I hope.
Thanks
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  06:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
There would seem to be a lot of caregivers out there who are some of the most CARING and GIVING people there are . . . it's good to hear from you and about you and what you are doing.

It helps me know that I'm not alone!!!

For me there is further challenge in that we have a 35 year-old son with Down Syndrome. While he doesn't live with us right now, he does live locally, spends time with us and we are involved in his life. We are also his legal guardians, so decisions for his life are ours.

I believe that raising Jeremy has helped me be better prepared to work with my sister (see an earlier post) because I have lived in the "world" of the disabled/handicapped since the birth of my son.

While it helps me . . . there is more challenge in life for us.

God has "grown me up" a lot through all of this . . . and HE IS MY DAILY STRENGTH. But it sure helps to know there are others out there dealing with similar challenges.

THANKS AGAIN . . . like I said, we need to stick together and hold each other up!!!

CJ

Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  07:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Thanks, CJ for posting this. I commend you for what wonderful work you are doing. We all hope that someone just like you will be there for us when the time comes.
I also want to thank you for making me more aware that my little woes are nothing compared to so many others in the world. Sometimes I just stew in my own world not remembering how tough others have it. Thanks for the reminder and blessing you bestowed.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  07:50:21 AM  Show Profile
It is great knowing you girls will be there for me. I am just starting out on this "caregiver" journey. My parents will be moving in with me around the first of Sept. My Dad is 89 and my Mom is 83. Most of my worry is regarding my Dad, his mind is going fast.
I know ya"ll will be there when I have questions

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Gena . . . I will be here. I'll do my VERY BEST to help you any way I can.
Remember ya' gotta take care of YOU too!!! :)
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  06:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Caregiver Farmgirls . .

Thought I'd let you all know, as I do my caregiving today, that I'm thinking of all of you . . . and praying for you in your caregiving challenges.

Hope you're remaining strong, getting rest and relaxation . . . and hangin' in there!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  06:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Right back at ya CeeJay!!! I am thinking and praying for you.!! Have a great day!!

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  11:57:40 AM  Show Profile
CJ, you have a lot in common with my mom.

My parents have 2 adult children with Down syndrome (one lives at home full time) and are also caring for my dad's parents, who live down the street. Grandma has Alzheimers and Grandpa had been her caregiver until he fell himself this spring and broke some ribs. He just doesn't have the strength anymore to bathe and toilet her, or clean the house.

And on top of that, my parents are raising a troubled 4 year old whose mom has never cared for him but won't relinguish custody either (Lots of unecessary stress there!).

I don't know how my parents do it all, and I can only help a little. I took over driving my sister to work (she has MS and can't drive, Grandpa used to do it until his fall). And when my mom and dad have a chance to get away, like this weekend, my sister and I go up in the evening to check on the grandparents and get Grandma into bed. My parents have found some aid available to help, but they can only pay for a few hours each week and it's still good to have someone from the family keeping an eye on things.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  12:48:32 PM  Show Profile
My mom wrote a book about being a caregiver and the publication date is November 1st. You may want to check out her blog at www.marypotterkenyon.wordpress.com to learn more.

As a mama it gets tiring just doing the daily care for three children so I can sort of relate to where you are coming from. Hugs!
-Elizabeth

www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  8:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ceejay, for starting this thread. I am just beginning my journey as caregiver, for my terminally ill DH. He is still mobile, so we are going where we can, when we can, and enjoying our time together. I am fortunate enough to have FMLA at my job, and they told me "enjoy what you can, and do what you can NOW". I am so blessed. This thread has been so enlightening, and as each of you stated, it's so wonderful to know we are not all doing this alone, after all, we all have each other. Hang in there farmgirls, we're a tough bunch, and we can make it!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  10:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Suzie,
I'm sorry you have to go through that, but sounds like you're are cherishing the best moments and attempting to "seize the day" for the time you have left. Please keep us posted as to how things go and feel free to share the times when you're not feeling so swell . . .
that way we can help share the burden with and for you!!
THANKS FOR YOUR SENSITIVITY!!!
GODS BLESSING!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  7:53:00 PM  Show Profile
I am also a "Caregiver" for my husband who has Myotonic Muscluar Dystrophy. It is so hard to watch his health decline and not be able to do anything to help. The only thing I can do is like so many of you other Caregivers, is to be kind and loving and helpful to him.

I am also like some other caregivers, the sole caregiver for my husband. I also belong to "Curves" for "My Time". I go in the mornings while my husband stays in bed, so he will not fall and hurt himself.
His balance is very, very, bad and falls easy and cannot get up without my help. We have a Hoyer lift that helps me get him up, so I will not hurt myself. I used to have to call friends or fire department to come and help me.

At least I have a Fall garden planted and he goes out in his power wheelchair and can help water the garden from his wheelchair. The only place he is willing to go to is Church 2 times a week.
I am glad I found this topic here.
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  8:37:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi BonnieBlue, and welcome, glad you found this forum, and mostly, this thread, it's excellent. I can see we'll all be encouraging each other. Try to keep your chin up, I am just finding out how challenging this can be, and also know it will become more so as time goes on. The farmgirls on this forum can be a wealth of knowledge, wisdom and inspiration to you. Like CeeJay said, let us know how your doing, and if your not doing "so swell", let us know that too. Any and all of us will be willing to help you through whatever it is.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page