Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Question about Valerian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Question about Valerian Next Topic  

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  10:41:21 AM  Show Profile

I have a question about Valerian...Does it matter where you get it? I went to CVS and almost bought some...but I also saw it at the health/vitamin store at the mall and there were some major differences in the price $$. Where do you girls purchase it? And why the big difference it price?
Jan

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jan, I sometimes buy mine at walgreens. The only difference I know of is how its made. When you buy them at a healthfood store (at least a good one) they have no unhealthy "fillers". All natural. Ones you get from a shop-rite or walgreens have all kinds of fillers in them, they have the good stuff but alot of the junk we dont need & its harder to break down in our bodies. It will also make a difference in price. I try to buy them at good healthfood places BUT can't always. Hope it helps & im sure someone else will have more info for you. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  1:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele~ I am ready to try anything at this point and going to pick up some tea also...
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Friendly warning about valerian tea - it sure smells, well, awfully barn-like. I can only drink it when it's mixed with something fairly strong-tasting, like lots of mint. I bought some plain valerian root for my husband to make into tea when he couldn't sleep, and he wouldn't even open the container!!! It works, but it sure is smelly...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  06:49:29 AM  Show Profile
I got the Valerian capsules...I meant Chamomile tea tho~ I will try one of them tonight..I read on the other insomnia thread that perhaps it will work if I alternate them. Thanks for the input gals~~
Is there any other precautions I should know about Valerian?
Jan
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  10:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Jan, according to my herb encyclopedia, (I wanted to check) it is reconized as very safe, doesnt react w/ alcohol and doesn't cause dependency. Medicinal uses include insomnia,anxiety, cramps, migraines etc. I use it & love it but I never overuse any of them. it is really pretty safe I think BUT Im no herbalist YET. The only precaution Im aware of is it can make you a bit drowsy,never made me tired, just relaxed BUT thats me. Don't take it until you read enough to make yourself comfortable or check w/ a DR., Pharmacist or herbalist. Hope that helps. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Question about Valerian Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page