DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Doing some genealogy research, I had a distant cousin send me this pic of my gr-gr-grandparents. Aren't these pics a hoot!!

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh my! I think we all have some of these somewhere! But its great to know your genealogy.

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:59:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love it! My grandmother had quite a few pics of her parents and some of her grandparents. It was nice to see. Also gives you a glimpse into who they were.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  11:27:46 AM  Show Profile
Well all I can say is that is why I don't like my picture taken. LOL
I think back that long ago to have your picture taken was a major event and you got all gussied up and were afraid to smile.
It is neat to have some kind of older pictures. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  11:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Great photos Diane! That's awesome to have family pictures like that and doing genealogy :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  12:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I was so thrilled to have this pic, it's a treasure. I was also beside myself with excitement when I found his diary had been archived at the Trent University in Ontario. He was the first postmaster there, a cloth weaver, a farmer and also a master of bartering. It was thrilling and exciting to read of his daily adventures and the bartering he did among other farmers. It was a great insight into how they relied on each other, also the trust and honor among them.
Di
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  12:15:31 PM  Show Profile
It's so interesting, isn't it? To see where we come from? I still don't "see" myself in any family photos, past or present. Diane, do you see yourself in them?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:00:11 PM  Show Profile
Diane:
Nice picture. Someday, they'll find a picture of you or me and say, "Wow, look at them. Odd looking or what!!!!!!!!!" LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:18:20 PM  Show Profile
My kiddos already say that when they look back to pics of us in the 70's! And we won't even mention the 80's...
I'm sure MaryBeth is right, they were very fancied up for this picture. I got quite a kick out of her hat and dress, although I'm sure it was very lovely in it's day. Aren't you glad we aren't expected to dress like that anymore?
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  2:48:50 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful photo, I am always amazed to see these lovely old family items.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  6:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diane,

That is a great picture! I have been working on my genealogy for the last 3 years, and it is such an exciting project. On the long wall of our living room I have all the pictures of our parents, grand parents, great grandparents, etc. I had them all done in sepia tones which goes with the paint scheme of our living room. Everytime someone comes into the house they are wowed by the wall. Make sure you hang that picture in a prominent place in your home--they deserve it. You wouldn't be here without them.

~Vicky~

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
--- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  9:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Diane: how lucky you are to have pictures! I was adopted and when I found my natural mother I found there were two pictures in the family. They were too poor to have their picture taken. I would love to have more.

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  12:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Diane, that's a great photo! I always wonder if they really were as grouchy as they looked. My husbands gr grandfather's photo is so funny, he has one of those wild west mustaches that was all pointy on the sides. What a hoot. I love doing my family history as well. There is a free internet program called MyHeritage Family Tree Builder, you can create family trees and all kinds of reports. Look into it, that's what I use do compile our information. Have Fun!

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers

http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  1:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Great photo Diane. Is it framed and where are you going to keep it. How did you get to read the diary if it's at the University? Wonder if you could get a copy of it?
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  10:34:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure it is true, but I heard from my grandmother who passed away in 1960, that when those pictures (tin-type or not), people were told to not smile as we are today (cheeeze)! Do you know what year this picture was taken? Unless they were rich, dressing in their best finery was a must. I often take for granted how easy I have it compared to those people of the past....before inside plumbing, electric or gas stoves/fridges, vacuum cleaners, antibiotics and dental anesthesia. I have a digital camera and take pictures of my family impromptu (not posed) as much as possible. Looking at these pictures, makes me thankful to my Creator for the time in which I live. Thank you for sharing some of your history & your remarkable family.

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  10:43:38 AM  Show Profile
They look just like some of my family. Why is that? They all looked alike back then. I have a few old albums from my family and they all look like that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  5:34:57 PM  Show Profile
That's so true Kristin, many do look alike. I wonder why they were told to never smile in old pictures? Anyone know??
Sorry Nancy, I just now realized you had posted a question when Claudia and Kristin bumped this up. I haven't framed this picture yet, but have copies in three different places.
I was thrilled to get it as my gr-grandmother had died in childbirth and the children (including my grandfather) were given up for adoption. These were his blood grandparents. I was very fortunate to have been given the original handwritten adoption papers which named the parents.
The diary was donated and archived at the university. They valued it as a testament to the times these folks lived in. My gr(x2)grandfather was a master of the barter system and also the first postmaster in that area. Finding the diary was a complete fluke while doing a google search and I've since paid to have a good part of it copied and sent to me. It's a true treasure.
Di
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Old Family Pics Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page