Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  2:12:13 PM  Show Profile
I have eggplant coming in and the only recipes I can find for preserving are pickles and caviar. Does anyone have a way to can it for use later? I have NO freezer space and cannot freeze.

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  3:44:47 PM  Show Profile
I have never canned it, but I really enjoy homemade baba ghanoush.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  6:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Robin - I just purchased a new canning book and low and behold, there is a recipe for baba ghanoush. Interested?
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  7:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, I had to look up on Yahoo where Karnak is. I had never heard of it before! Anyway, I do have a Persian recipe for eggplant Khouresh (eggplant stew) that is quite delicious. Be warned though, it takes a total of 4 hours to make! Let me know if you want it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  4:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I would like to can baba ghanoush. Mostly I would like to eat baba ghanoush, but canning would make the effort of roasting it all worthwhile. When I make it I make a lot.

I really loves the words...baba ghanoush.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  8:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Dawn - You can't get much more south than I am. Are you anywhere near? I would love your recipe. I have several eggplants about ready to harvest.

Robin - Here is that recipe: 1 eggplant (about 1 lb); 2 cloves garlic, chopped; 2 tbsp tahini; 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice; 1 tbsp olive oil; 1/4 tsp salt; Garnish, chopped fresh parsley optional. Prick whole eggplant several times and place on a baking sheet. Bake in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or until flesh is soft. Let stand until cool. Cut eggplant in half and scoop flesh into a colander; press to extract excess liquid. Transfer to food processor. Add garlic, tahini, lemon juice, oil and salt; process until very smooth. Pack into small freezer containers. Refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months. Garnish with parsley, if desired, when serving. Makes 2 cups.

I have not made this yet. Hope it is what you have had in the past.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  07:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Thats my recipe pretty much, at least ingredient wise. I adjust to taste. If you havent had it you should try it. I like to use it as a spread on sandwiches and as a dip for veggies as well as a dip for pitas.

Thanks for the recipe. You should try making it. If you like hummus you would probably like this.

Edited by - Roxy7 on Aug 23 2009 07:41:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Eggplant recipes needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page