southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:21:52 PM  Show Profile
I am thinking of getting a male and female canary. I was wondering if you can keep them in the same cage. I read that 2 males will fight.
Also, I thought canaries were always yellow. The ad I saw the canary was yellow, black and white!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  3:39:25 PM  Show Profile
They also come in red and pied, but in order to keep their color true you will have to feed them "color Food". One male is fine as long as he has interaction from you, they can become finger tame fairly easy. If you get a pair , they will be interested in breeding, not you, and the male will be singing to her, not loud and to you. Unless you know what you are doing, as far as, letting them breed, having the proper cage, nest and breeding food along with proper food once the clutch is hatched, again the proper food. Then you have babies to find good homes for, and then it starts over, also you have to make sure your canaries are not related before breeding. I strongly urge you to do alot of research before hand, and all you have to do is "google", good luck

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  7:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Ditto the advice on looking up info on breeding. Canary breeders are very particular, to the point of being eccentric. a single bird makes the best pet. It's harder to tame two birds than one. Canaries also need a room with lots of natural sunlight to enhance their color and encourage their song. they also come in many varieties--there is one kind that, I swear, resembles one of the early Beatles--they have a "mop top" of feathers that looks just like one of the Fab Four. "Bird Talk" is a good magazine for beginners.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  03:39:26 AM  Show Profile
I used to have one that sang to Stairway To Heaven

What fun cheerful birds!

Yes they do come in all kinds of colors

Do your research and have fun!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  04:28:02 AM  Show Profile
y brother has had a LOT of canaries when he was alive. All colors in the rainbow. Lovely Blue, white, yellow, green and what not. Yes he too was very particular, lol.
He had made a LARGE very large birdhouse in their garden and he was attending to the birds often. Hand fed some of them and that was such a sweet sight. A big, burly (sometimes even real fat) man with a "big" mouth and ditto hands feeding a little birdie with a small bit of water, so sweet ;)
He was always sad when one of the young didn't live.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  05:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, for all the info. In your opinion, should I just get one male. I did research and it sounds like I would be over run with babies. I also read that sometimes you have to keep them apart because they fight. Also, there is something called "soft feathered and hard feathered". What do you know about that?

Sorry I am just now responding, I had knee surgery yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what soft feathered and hard feathered mean, but avoid anyone who tries to sell you a "feather duster" canary. This is a fluffy looking canary with a genetic mutation and a very short life span. I wish I knew more about canaries, but I know more about parrots than I do songbirds. I think one male is the best way to go--I had a pair of doves and they kept having babies--not only is it hard to find homes for them, but laying too many eggs is hard on the female. Good luck with your canary--they are beautiful birds.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  07:09:30 AM  Show Profile
"feather duster", that is what is considered "soft feathered". I read never breed those together.

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile
I don't know much about them except my girl-friend almost died from not wearing a mask when she cleaned the cages. Her home and cages were always clean so that surprised me. She had 7 canary's and a small parot that thought he owned the place, even the cat left him alone. I heard to spray the paper with water before removing it and placing clean paper down. Not sure if that's 100% correct, but I would do it if I had birds just to be safe.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:12:32 PM  Show Profile
No, you should never breed a feather duster EVER. They are very unhealthy due to the mutation and will die after you've had them a short while. It'd be like breeding two deaf dalmations to each other--why bring more damaged animals into the world? Feather dusters may look exotic but you will find only sorrow if you get one. No reputable breeder will sell you one. Period. There are other types of exotic canaries that are healthy, so if you want to get one, please do your research. Canaries actually come from the Shetland Islands and are very hardy birds. Please get the healthiest canary you can, and you will be rewarded with a long-lived friend.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  06:52:40 AM  Show Profile
I haven't bought one yet. The people that had some online, e-mailed me a picture and it looked to be the "feather duster" kind. I am glad I didn't buy one. I will keep looking. Thanks for all the info. I was about to make a huge mistake.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does anyone have canaries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page