Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 "official" YO-YO swap starts NOW
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic "official" YO-YO swap starts NOW Next Topic
Page: of 5

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  08:50:05 AM  Show Profile
thought i'd start a new heading for our 'official' yo-yo swap with all the 'particulars' .. they are kinda' buried in the other topic:

here t'is:

size: 4-1/2 inch (the size of a CD i hear!) .. great template!!

color scheme: anything from 'nature'

turn your edges in for a more finished look.

directions: draw your template and cut out your fabric with your template ... 4.5 inches

turn the edges about an eighth of an inch (to the wrong side) and hand-stitch a straight stitch around the outer edge of your circle .. with a matching or coordinating thread .. and DRAW IT UP (gather it into a little 'pucker' or 'rosette' .. flatten it and give it a good 'tie-off stitch' so it does not come undone!

just start making a buncha' these .. and as soon as we know how many will be doing the swap .. we'll figger out how many to send to each person.

sign up: NOW until March 15 (need to know how many are doing this so we we'll know how many to make)

MAIL BY: April 15

then .. when you receive all your little 'yo's' .. tack them together and make a cute table topper (or anything you wish) .. and POST a picture of it if you can!

ONCE i know for sure how and how many are doing this (remember .. deadline for sign-up is March 15) .. i'll have you each E-MAIL me with your name and address .. and i'll get those lists out to everyone via e-mail.

clear as mud? any questions .. jus' let me know! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  12:19:24 PM  Show Profile
count me in...I have already been working on them!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Count me in, I got my material and have 10 cut out!! Just waiting to find out how many more I need to cut out!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Sign me up Frannie!!...this will help me slim down my fabric pile!!

Life's messy!... Grab an apron!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile
I've been working too. I found a pattern for the cutest yo yo tote bag!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm in! I'll start cutting circles tonight. Thanks...Jan
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  2:53:57 PM  Show Profile
i'm heading for indiana tomorrow for the weekend .. when i'm not driving .. i'll be sewing YO's! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  05:53:42 AM  Show Profile
Count me, too!!

Blessings
Catherine

P.S. Would anyone have objections to writing their name on the back of the yo-yo? I'd just love to have all the names of all the gals right there with the yos.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Count me in on the yo yo project. never done one before what why not?!?! lol it's be fun.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  6:34:39 PM  Show Profile
That WOULD be fun to have the names on the backs of the yo-yos!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  9:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
How do we write our names on the back of them? i hope im not being completly clueless...

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  08:00:11 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering the same thing Leah..........
I had thought of a quilters marker but my fabric is darker so I am not sure it would show up well.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  5:59:31 PM  Show Profile
hi girls .. i just got back from illinois/indiana .. what a FUN trip .. will write more of it later .. have to unpack treasures from the car!

i did manage to sew up a hand-full of yo's while having morning coffee and just before bedtime ..

hmmmmmm .. .let's see .... names on the yo's ... here's one idea .. if someone else has a good idea .. please share it!

it would not be 'on' the yo's .. BUT .. if we intend to turn our yo-yo quilt into a little table topper and if we put a 'backing' on our table topper this would work .. if no backing is planned ... we'll go to 'plan b'.

ooops .. gotta' go scrounge up some dinner .. honey hunk is yellin' that his stomach is growlin' ... will give you plan a and plan b after dinner. xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  6:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals! I want to play, too. Bought some blue fabric today - bluebird blue in honor of the bluebird couple nesting in our backyard! Frannie, I found a black sharpie ultra fine marker works well written on the middle of the back - easiest to write before stitching. Would work fine on light & medium fabrics - no clue what to do on darker ones ?? What do y'all think?? I'm dying to stitch up some of these yo-yo's - daughter's wedding is Saturday and they are great stress-relievers for the mom-of-the-bride but will wait for "signing" rules!! Will send you my info via email......sandi
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  7:25:51 PM  Show Profile
i'm using all kinds of different fabrics for the yo's .. so's i don't go crazy making a zillion all the same color/pattern. i don't think written names will show up on lots of them .. and some of the fabrics probably wouldn't take 'pen' either.

i would have to make up little 'labels' on muslin .. and sign my name .. if everyone did this .. and we made them about 2 inches by 3 inches that would give plenty of room for 'seams .. if we had 20 girls swapping the yo's .. we could take the little label that everyone sends to us and 'sew' them together into a little 'quilt' .. and attach it to the 'back of a backing' that we might make for our table topper .. (that would be "plan A" ...

plan "B" ... if we don't want to put a 'backing' on our yo's .. we could just make a separate little quilt out of the 'name tags' .. bind it with a nice fabric .. put a backing on it .. and make it into a ittle 'quiltie' ..

or a cute little 'bag' to keep our yo-yo quilt in when we are not displaying it.

or as the 'lining' of a yo-yo purse.

those are just ideas offa' the top of my very tired head tonight. if anyone else has some ideas .. let's hear them!!! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  10:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
I like the idea of each person making a 2"x3" square for everyone in the Yo making circle, then we can decide on our own how we want to put it together, that way we have everyones names who participated.

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  03:57:14 AM  Show Profile
I just knew Frannie would make my idea so much better!!

I like the 2"x3" 'label'. Just dandy!! I didn't think about sharpie or such not showing up on some of the fabrics or that it would bleed and run.....would not be good for Farmgirl Yo-Yos.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  05:10:44 AM  Show Profile
Kay,
what is the pattern to the yo yo tote? hOw would you line it and how is the handle made. It sounds really cute!
NANCY JO

'
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  06:11:02 AM  Show Profile
another way .. is for each of us to just simply include a cute little note or slip of paper with our name (and any other info we might want to give .. such as what our inspiration was ... when we sewed them .. a poem, etc. then when we each receive our 'notes' .. we could buy or make a little 'scrapbook' to go with the quiltie we make .. which would be a little 'journal' for our quilt.

are you girls finding any of these ideas your 'favorite'? we can go with the 'majority' vote. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  06:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Frannie - love the note idea! could put them in a little friendship book by the quiltie! I can't stop making bluebird yo-yo's this morning!! Work to be done and I keep stitchin' saying "just one more!" Think I'll add some "blooming redbuds" & "Texas wildflowers" to the stash! Fun in Texas this morning........sandi
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  08:01:09 AM  Show Profile
I vote for sending a note and making a little scrapbook. I think that's a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  08:46:34 AM  Show Profile
Me too!

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  09:18:54 AM  Show Profile
OK - I'm in. Just let me know how many - I will get started this weekend. I like the idea of using a CD as the template. These will be a lot bigger yo-yo's then I'm used to making, so will be more fun!!!

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  10:52:38 AM  Show Profile
I like the note & scrapbook idea. I think I will take a picture of each one to put by the note in the scrapbook.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  7:45:34 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to share in the yoyo swap. I measured a cd and its 4.75" - is that what everyone else is using for a template? I want mine to be the same size. I'm a little confused about the name or note - make one for each yoyo, or will one other person get all of my yoyo's so only need one note, yes, no? I've never done a swap before (always wanted to) so have mercy, I'm a little clueless here.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."

Edited by - OregonGal on Mar 12 2006 11:25:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  6:30:55 PM  Show Profile
I want to play too! I'll start making yo yos.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic "official" YO-YO swap starts NOW Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page