LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  8:36:27 PM  Show Profile
I feel so lost in my tract house suburban home. I love my friends and the convenience of driving one mile to Costco but I yearn for acreage to plant, till, roam and watch my four boys experience nature. We have searched for quite some time for the "perfect" piece of land and have come very close to moving but something always happens.
Because of some special needs that we have with our youngest we have to stay in the county in which we reside for at least another year and possibly two. By that time my oldest will be in middle school and we are afraid we will all but ruin his life if we make him move 30-45 minutes away from his friends...same for son #2.

So beyond the babbling can anyone tell me if they regret moving their kids out of the city and away from the familiar? I know my kids would love the land but I don't know if they would hate leaving more.
I can live with being a fish out of water but I don't want my kids to suffer for my dream.

Thanks for being my therapy session today.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  9:22:40 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, it will be tuff in the beginning, but the rewards are just so awesome. The distance you are talking about, 30-45 mins, is nothing, they can always visit in town, and their friends will have the joy of comeing to the country, a little boys dream come true, mud and bugs and real live farm animals. Is there any body you know that already lives the farm life who would be willing to let you and your sons come visit, and see what they will have in the future. Take drives in the country, stop and let the kids see the animals over the fences, and I would bet that any farmer seeing that would probally let you come on in, and would be proud to give the tour, especialy when you tell them why. Good luck and have some fun.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  03:14:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathryn!
I know times have changed but.... I was 12 and just ending grade school when my mom and dad moved my brother and I to the next town over. I had to start junior high at a brand new school(just built) knowing absolutely no one! Well, one boy but he didn't count! :) The hard part for me was that I was not outgoing at all at that age. I actually made very good friends that I kept all through my school years and even still keep in touch with a couple of them. It was not that difficult and I think I enjoyed the challenge of finding new friends. Once I entered the high school all my old friends were there too so that was nice. And, of course I went back to visit my old friends once in a while. I think your son would adjust just fine! :)

Brenda
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  06:35:17 AM  Show Profile
Katheryn,
My sister moved her 2 children from Ga to Lagrange KY when her son was a Jr in high school. It was strange at firrst but now (he is in his 2nd yr at UK) he said that it was the best thing. They love the small town and all the people. They live in a very rual neighborhood (my sister is not a farmgirl). Just think of it this way after high school he will be moving off to collage anyway. The kids are diffrent in a small town. more accepting I think. Good luck! If you move to Lagrange let me know and I will give you my sister's phone number.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  08:03:02 AM  Show Profile
I think it has more to do with WHERE you're moving than anything. My mom moved me at 14 yrs old halfway across the country to a place (big city from small town) that I never did fit in, cultureally (sp), educationally, etc. It was horrible and I truly wished I had never been moved there. Matter of fact, I have most of those years blanked out in my memory. I know this sounds drastic but I'd say check out the locals, how friendly are they, what's the school like, etc. However, where we live now, I wouldn't have a problem moving my (grand)kids here. There are problems, sure, every place has them, but this is a good place overall.

Another thing, one of my daughters is a big city/bright lights type person and would never do well here. My other two kids are country types and would do well. It depends on the kid too. If you're only going 45 minutes away, I don't think that would be a problem but be sure you talk with the kids.

Lastly, and this may be a sticky point with some folks, but I'm for going with the kids thing but you're the adult and kids adapt. It's not all about the kids, it's about the adult also and making a living and feeding not just your body but your soul. If you're not happy, they will know it. You need to be happy too.

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  07:00:56 AM  Show Profile
My boys say they want to move to the country because they are outside kids. We are seriously thinking about it and I do know someone who will probably let me intrude upon her farm life.

Tina we LOVE LaGrange but dh works in downtown Louisville and it would add another 20-30 minutes on a good day to his already 30 minutes commute so no dice. We are looking at extreme Southern Indiana which is considered part of Louisville Metro. Shorter commute good schools, cheaper land but we know very few people and our kids know no one.

Lots to think about!

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finding your place... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page