kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  07:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday we went thrift store shopping. The first store we went to I found the neatest books. The first book is called the World's Happiest Gardeners. It's got a picture of a woman with a little basket of veggies in shorts, a tank top and white HIGH HEELS! Farmgirl up!! It's a bunch of people and families that have written about their farming adventures. It sounds like reading posts right from MJF. I love it. It's from the 50s and 60s. But about organic gardening. Very fun reading.

Then another called Buttercups and Daisy by Elizabeth Cragoe. It's from 1976. They lived in England and had a farm. Sounds interesting, too.

Silton Seasons by R.D. Symons is from the diary of a countryman. He's from Canada and it's a year in his life on a farm.

And I found Little House In The Big Woods! I wish I could find the rest of the books. I will some day.

So I had a good book finding day at the thrift stores in Dayton, Tn.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  08:02:10 AM  Show Profile
These books are so farmgirl! Good thrifting, Kristin. I love the book section at the thrift.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  08:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Me, too. I have a neck ache, though, from turning my head sideways for so long! They should come up with a better way to stack books. And there was one lady on the floor to see the books at the bottm shelf. I don't even look on the bottom shelf.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  11:02:25 AM  Show Profile
It is always so wonderful to discover fine reading material at the thrift shop. I am lucky ehough to live near a wonderful used bookstore. I like to stockpile a few titles for winter...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  1:03:09 PM  Show Profile
That's a good idea, Karin. I am still looking for Grace L. Hill's book the Enchanted Barn. I have alot of hers but need that one. I love farm books and anything homesteading. So I always look for those when I'm out. We have a huge used book store in Chattanooga that I love to go to. I always find good books there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  11:21:06 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, What's the name of the used book store in Chattanooga. Love that town and will be there in Feb. There is a good independent book store down near the aquarium that I try to hit whenever I'm there. Would be great if I could remember its name, too.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Thrift Store Books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page