Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Dirty Hands Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  7:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, gals, I had a wonderful day. The day was warm, almost 80 degrees, a clear sky and a soft breeze rustled the leaves that were left behind from winter raking. It's just the weather that makes me itch to get outside and have my fingernails embedded with dirt and let the sun put color back on my face.

My daughters and I spent the day outside playing with the goat and pig, running around playing chase and gardening together. My Kristin is a definite flower girl while my Nicole is a vegetable girl. Kristin has asked for the plots in front of the house to be hers. Usually, I give them plots in the back....control freak that I am. I did it.... I let Kristin do all the buying and designing of the annuals to be planted.

I transplanted some begonias into pots while she worked on the raised bed plots. We chatted, hummed, and were simply quiet, together, listening to the birds. It was one of those moments that I want to freeze in time and burn in my memory. When she was done, she held up her hands and said, "Look, Moma, my hands look like yours....all dirty" This just blessed my heart! She's the one that told me I smell good (look in my signature line)....like dirt.

It's so wonderful and amusing when you watch your toddler play dress up and want to be like you. It's absolutely humbling and honoring when your older child actually takes on your values as theirs. So sweet.

I just had to share that....thanks for listening.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  7:52:28 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful day you and your two special girls had. I sure miss those days of little ones. Enjoy!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  9:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am very jealous! I had a wonderful picture in my mind as you described your day. I was feeling lucky to get 50 degrees here today- I can't wait for the warmer weather.

Your daughters sound very sweet. They will always remember these beautiful spring days. As a child I spent many such days with my father building our family cabin. I always felt so full of love for the outdoors and my family that I thought my heart would burst! They are some of my most cherished memories.

Don't forget to tell us what your daughter does when her flower go in, or the seeds sprout! That will be so wonderful for her!
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  04:11:55 AM  Show Profile
How very sweet, Cathereine! Thanks for sharing, I am so anxious for spring to get here in Michigan. I had to close our senior meal center today because I cannot get down my road. Six inches of fresh snow and it is going to keep coming down all day. I hope this is the last of the winter storms, but it still is so pretty. Post a pic when your gardens are a bloomin! jenny
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  04:52:56 AM  Show Profile
what a perfect day you were blessed with. Im afraid its rather cold here in N.J. right now. Great discription, I could picture all of you. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  12:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Catherine
We are both Blessed
A couple days ago I had a similar day with my son this is what I wrote in my blog...
Titled : Mommy I love digging in the dirt!

Today was one of those days that gives you spring fever. But I know we still have a month of uncertain weather so the flats of tomatoes and other stuff I am starting today will end up inside. For a while they will have to be happy under grow lights until will eventtually go out in the hoophouse if we get it put up. But today was also a joy because my son 4 helped me! He used his own sandbox tools to fill up flats with soil. We enjoyed the time together and he exclaimed "Mommy I love digging in the dirt!" and I replied "I do too". He wanted to copy every thing I was doing and when he saw me writting on the sticks I use to lable the plants he wanted to do that to. I let him write one and I expected the usual scribbles but this time he wrote his NAME! This was special because he has never tried to before and he did it.
When I looked at the plant lable with his name written in not so perfect print I thought ...today I think we planted more that vegetable seeds !

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  3:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, do you homeschool? I do and we spend so much time learning in the garden! My daughter and I are both chomping at the bit for spring. Peas and sweet peas are about all we have in so far.
Loved your stories ladies!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  05:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Garliclady.....that just brings me to joyful tears! How precious.

Sharon, yes, we homeschool. I can't get enough of my kids...I just love every minute we're together. There is so much to learn in gardening and tending to animals. Much more than a textbook can teach.

Yesterday, my girls and I were comparing fingernails to see who had the most dirt....it was a 3 way tie.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Dirty Hands Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page