melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  08:57:05 AM  Show Profile
I am only guessing this, but the symptoms confirm arthritis and since I dread going to the GP for anything...funny thing for a transcriptionist to say... are there any home remedies for easing my painful joints? I mean it is everywhere, elbows, knees, hands, wrists. Uggh!

I am sooooooooo stiff when I wake up in the morning! I just started taking Tylenol Arthritis at night just so I can move in the morning...I hate taking pills and so far I haven't noticed a darn thing.

Anything out there to remedy my situation other than taking the Tylenol?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Cut out sugar & the white stuff.. Like flour, pasta etc. Google Paleo or Caveman diet. My sis's friend had horrible arthritis; she followed this diet & is pain free.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:27:21 AM  Show Profile
I have rheumatoid arthritis, diagnosed in 2004. I have been on Remicade since then. It is expensive, but well worth the $$. I do not have the enlarged joints, deformed joints since my treatment. My hands are nimble and I am able to quilt, sew, cross-stitch, etc. I just got back from a 30-minute walk with my dog. She is just as tired as I am.

The only other thing my MD had to offer me was pain medication and steroids. I took the steroids for a while, but got off them ASAP.

It is still a good idea to visit your doctor and have the blood test that gives him an idea of what is wrong. Don't wait too long.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:28:17 AM  Show Profile
It will depend on what type of arthritis you have, oceo or RA.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:32:47 AM  Show Profile
I have osteo and ibuprofen works better than tylenol.

Also, cut down on caffeine. I have had luck with an arthritis essential oil rub from lyraesnaturals.com. Eases the pain enough so you can fall asleep.

The rub contains lavender, sage, rosemary, thyme and frankincense. I mix a few drops with sweet almond oil and run on my aching knees and shoulders.

Hope you find relief soon!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile
I have mild osteoarthritis and if I take one Alleve when I go to bed I am good in the morning and moving around throughout the day keeps me from getting stiff. The worst is in my thumbs which makes quilting especially hard and that is the thing I love to do the most.

Mary

'Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.' Albert Einstein
'Only a peace between equals can last.' Woodrow Wilson
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  01:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I've read that castor oil rubbed on your skin over the achy joint is supposed to help. I know when I'm really hurting with fibro and joints hurting too I've given up on most rubs except for one. Vicks. I put Vicks vaporub on and I reek to high Heaven but I swear by it to give me relief. Sometimes my feet ache so bad and I slather up and put on some socks at bedtime and next morning the aching is greatly relieved. As Teresa pointed out it is important to find out which type of arthritis you have as rheumatoid can be disfiguring and definitely needs medical intervention with the correct meds to stop the progress of the disease. So even though you don't like to go, you really do need to see your doctor.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  11:01:04 PM  Show Profile
Okay farmgirls, don't laugh, but I use preperation H for my toe that has arthritis. I do know it is not where one should use this ointment. LOL. But, after trying almost everything, I decided one day to try the Prep. H. My toe has never felt better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it with Prep. H. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile
I had RA when I was a child and my mother refused to put me on methotrexate as the Md recommended. I am in her debt forever for that! Instead we used 8 aspirin a day and rubbed warm peanut oil into my joints every night before bed. I know they don't recommend asp. any more, but that was the only alternative we had in the 70's :) As for the peanut oil, I highly recommend it. My arthritis went into remission when I was about nine and I have been free of pain ever since.

Good luck!
Amy

For information on SUMMER SNOW please visit www.amywarwick.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  09:27:18 AM  Show Profile
I have osteo and a blown disc in my back and ibuprofen has killed my tummy. I have had gastritis for about a year now.

I am going to try some of these other things. Arnica sometimes helps a flare, also.

Go to Top of Page

GoldenSeal
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Crystal
Vermilion Alberta
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  11:11:11 AM  Show Profile
I made a salve with vaseline, arnica flowers, st john's wort, cinnamon and cayenne. It seems to lesson the pain. Email me if you want the recipe.

Edited by - GoldenSeal on Aug 15 2009 11:11:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  6:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies...I have made an appointment with my GP as I think it might be more than arthritis. Several years ago my sister was diagnosed with Lupus and along with that fibromyalgia. Guess it's time for some tests.

I appreciate all of the helpful suggestions...
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Arthritus Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page