Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Did being a MaryJane's FARMGIRL change you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Did being a MaryJane's FARMGIRL change you? Next Topic
Page: of 2

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  07:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have changed so many things I do, appreciate and notice.

Some things are:
living more green....and being aware of a natural way to live

enjoying aprons more---all handmade

curing my loneliness!

and more...

What about you??

Linda in Scranton, PA

Put on the apron of humility.
1 Peter 5:5

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  08:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh linda, Good one~
Oddly it has "given me the permission" to be the woman I always wanted to be. I have tried new things and found success doing them, I have met so many wonderful and creative women. I am writing more, I feel like I am more "me" than ever. I have said often that the title "farmgirl" is the only title big enough to encompass all that I am and want to be... thanks for the thread.

Rene'Groom
A.K.A ProsserFarmGirl
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:11:44 AM  Show Profile
I've not changed, I am just who I am. But I have met some very wonderful women who share the same likes. With so many personalities of very talented women this site feeds my "always wanting to learn side."

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great topic Linda!!

I had a hard time adapting to a new town and state when I first moved to Idaho. Finding the MaryJanes Farmgirls really filled a void of friendship in my life. It also has helped me to learn more about more things than I ever realized I wanted to know! Tatting for one! I had never heard of it before, but I love it! I have learned to knit, to can, and to do basic quilts. Being a Farmgirl gave me the courage to buy my first sewing machine!

I have become a lot more aware of natural cleaners and the strength there of. I feel like my personality hasn't changed, but I feel less pressue to be the mainstream everyday type of person and really follow my dreams and my true preferences.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:53:41 AM  Show Profile
Yes it sure did.

I love aprons now, never thought about it before I joined, lol
Same with hankies and other cute things I never thought about.
I do a LOT more crafting AND learned about other crafts I never knew about.
Try to live greener then before.
The friendship and good people you meet here is the biggest bonus of joining :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh I need to add GLAMPING to my list... I have always liked camping.. BUT I LOVE GLAMPING~

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:55:26 AM  Show Profile
No, I didn't change..... I only discovered I wasn't crazy, that there were other girls like me out there. I used to think I was the only person on the planet who loved old ways, and things, and being crafty, wearing old aprons and cooking from scratch; a strange, old-fashioned girl who loved needlework and canning; or maybe I was just mistakenly born in the wrong decade. Then I picked up MJF at the Tractor Supply one day while I was waiting on my husband to look at parts for his tractor, and discovered a whole new world of gals just like me!!! Yay!!!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  11:03:01 AM  Show Profile
It made me more aware of things that I had had niggling in the back of my mind for quite some time. For a long time, since I had 3 brothers who were handed everything and I was treated like a 2nd class citizen, I tried to keep up with the guys. I hated home ec because I was forced to take it. I grew up during the "equal rights" movement and you know what? I am more than equal to any man and don't need some law to tell me so. But there are still times I want to be a girl and do all those things - cook, sew, quilt, etc. I never really learned those things and now a whole new world has opened up for me that it's okay to feel those things.

As for GLAMPING - I can't wait! I've been camping for years and it's moved more toward the glamping as I've gotten older. And DH thinks it would be a hoot!

I just want to thank MJF for opening my eyes to so much more. I am no longer as unhappy as I was. I found this website under the Gooseberry Patch website. They had asked what other sites do you use and MJF was one mentioned, along with Susan Branch. I have found a whole new world and life and I am very thankful for it.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  11:25:45 AM  Show Profile
Well...

-I find myself looking at apron patterns on eBay
-I feel badly about using paper towels.
-I now know what ChillOver powder is!
-My faith in the goodness of people is even more reinforced...the girls here are simply the BEST!
-My sister asked "Who is Maryjane?"...because I was talking about this site so much.
-I have a bunch of new recipes...Dh is being well fed.
-I'm cooking even more at home.
-I've checked out library books on keeping chickens and homesteading.
-I'm just a better informed person!

Hugs to all the wonderful girls who share their hearts and minds on this wonderful site!
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  12:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Linda~What a great post. It has definitely made me more aware of things I hadn't learned about.

I have started an heirloom garden from seed for the first time.

I am finding ways to feel my family healthy, organic foods instead of processed.

I have started an apron collection-both vintage and new handmade ones.

I have found a group of wonderful ladies to share all of this with. I don't know anyone in my area who enjoys the things I do.

I have read so many books that I wouldn't ever have heard about.

There is so much I can't remember it all but this site has been such a blessing, help and encouragement and I thank all of the great ladies here.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  2:06:36 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - crafter on Aug 24 2009 7:48:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  4:37:49 PM  Show Profile
I love what Hosanna had to say. Ditto. Also, my youngest daughter, loves the magazines and books and traipses around in skirts and aprons. She is always trying new things out, from the magazines, and she is 13!

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  7:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Sue, what a beautiful post. I was about crying when I read that. God Bless you. I love this site and her magazines and books. MaryJane is such a beautiful combination of a true lady and a woman of strength who can tackle anything plus a kind and loving person. I have loved the outdoors and the the country way of life since I was a small child. MaryJane also made me feel so good to have found her and all the farmgirls here. It feels good to know there are other women who love the simple things and the good things in life too. I have reconnected with the woman I really am again too. Like Sue for a long time I had felt like something was missing and this site and MaryJane helped me to just be who I really am and that is something that has been so great.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  8:13:13 PM  Show Profile
I can not say I have changed, but I now know I am not alone in my lifestyle. In my neck of the woods, people do not can.....many do not have gardens anymore, and as far as farming goes, well starting one in the past 5 years is unheard of. I am a young woman, who know how and enjoys, knitting, crocheting, sewing, tatting(which I have just learned but truly enjoy), cooking, canning and being self sufficient and trying to live a little greener. When I talk about doing these things around here, peole look at me like I have two heads:) If I need help with a crochet pattern, I have to seek out an older lady to help.(knitting is a bit more popular in my area)
However I am truly grateful for the wonderful women I have come in contact with. I have learned alot about different crafts and I have made many new friends.
Thank you Maryjane for the oppurtunity. I am sure all the "farmgirls" agree with me:)

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Instead of telling God how big your problem is....tell your problem how big God is.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  8:43:00 PM  Show Profile
WOW...where do I start?

This is the very first and only forum I have ever been on...I felt so comfortable e-mailing back and forth to Julia H in the very beginning and after Julia telling me about it I thought I'd give the forum thing a try. It has changed my LIFE...

1. I now have some very dear friends that I can really relate to and share similar experiences with good and bad!
2. I am so much more conscious of what "natural" means and how to use it for the benefit of me and my family and the earth.
3. I have planted, weeded and harvested the fruits of my labors for the first time in over 18-years with the help of course of my DH for building me the only raised beds this side of Menominee, MI!
4. I am more aware and appreciative of the world around me, not just my world but the great big world out there. And it's not such a scary place to be when you have the confidence and the grace to get out there and get things done!
5. I have become more of who I really am...a farmgirl through and through and so very proud of it!

This is what the forum has done for me!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  8:43:11 PM  Show Profile
Well I haven't worn an apron since I was 13-to fry anything I 've been wearing a junky t shirt in case it gets oil on it. Well tonight I did a BIN on a misses apron sewing pattern! (I'm 4'7" so adult patterns don't work)
I've discovered the joy of cooking in cast iron
Re discovered the joy of gardening and have been working in the front yard
becoming more of a do it yourself instead of getting someone else to do it
Realising I have a lot of persistance
Enjoying life more
A new old love for old timey/antique stuff
Great new friends here on the forum.
What a cool topic this is!

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
@MandolinChick on Twitter
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  9:49:07 PM  Show Profile
I don't even know where to start either. I haven't changed all that much,but I have learned a lot on this site and from MaryJane's book.

Okay, I feel silly asking this, but what is glamping?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your heart Sue. That is one of the reasons I love MJF so much, is that you farmgirls are so real.

Like Rene', I think MJF gave me permission as well to be who I already was. I grew up a PK and then married a man who would be a pastor for 20 years. I think I got in a rut by what is 'expected' of a pastor's wife. But finding this site helped me be me, and I am grateful for it. There is so much more freedom and joy when you are who God has created you to be not what others expect. My hubby liked the change, kind of a 'oh, there you are' response. I have grown, and learned how to do better at what I do, and given the encouragement to try new things simply because, I can. Thanks MaryJane and all you wonderful farmgirls!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  12:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Great thread and yes, MJF has changed me a great deal. I first heard about it when I received an invitation to check out a free issue. I read the flier and told me husband I just had to subscribe and check out the forum. It wasn't long before I joined the sisterhood and I am learning that all the crafting and homey stuff I always have loved is "okay". That I can make everything I give for Christmas and not feel guilty about not charging silly things no one really needs or wants anyway. I've learned how to tat which I'd always wanted to learn and I'm trying new skills I'd only day dreamed about in the past. My DH has been very supportive and calls MJ's "my cult" in his humorous way but he reads every MJF magazine that comes in the house. He even had me post a request for a farmboy site with rooster houses but so far no one has taken that request up...LOL. I can't thank Mary Jane enough for sharing her life with me and allowing me to grow in ways I'd always wanted.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:30:22 AM  Show Profile
I think I've changed as well... well maybe not changed completely, but it has brought my life full-circle! I grew up in 4-H, sewing, crafting, canning, cooking demonstrations, you name it. After high school I went to college and got caught up in the hustle and craziness of city life, and all that stuff dropped to the wayside. I never really felt like "myself", but just an actress playing a part.

Finally a couple of years ago I happened across the apron issue of MJF in Borders, and it made me postively giddy. So slowly I started getting back into crafting and sewing and cooking... it's been a slow process because I'm having to relearn these skills! But it's been a big change because I take more joy in doing domestic activities and making a beautiful and comfy home for our family. I'm happier, the hubby is happier (you know the old saying if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy), we're living greener and more organic, and I feel like I've been enabled to actually take my life back in the direction that it needs to go.

Farmgirl #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:08:30 AM  Show Profile
As far as I know, glamping is camping in a pimped (glamoured) camper?? Correct me if I am wrong here girls, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:41:00 AM  Show Profile
Although I haven't changed I've found an entire sisterhood that believes in the same things that I believe in. The biggest change is that I now feel like I have tons of friends. Even though I live in a semi rural area it has become very urbanized and upscale and I cannot embrace that Buy buy buy mentality. Thanks goodness for my Farmgirl sisters and my real sisters who understand and encourage me to let the real me shine through.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:31:27 AM  Show Profile
I was so glad that there were alot more women out there (than I thought) that thinks like I do!!I haven't changed, I've just been inspired more to be the person I always have been. I've been "green" and living organically as possible since way before doing these things became "chic". I love MJ's magazine and this forum. Discovering them both was like re-acquainting with a long lost friend. I wear aprons more and use technology less and take great pride in putting a little more effort into adding special touches to everything I do and make with my hands.

My hat goes off to all of you too!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:34:09 AM  Show Profile
Kate...I think Glamping is short for Glamour Camping...am I right? That's another thing that MJ has put on my "bucket list"...lol

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  10:00:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm not going to say it changed me but it has made me comfortable in who I am. I was already an apron wearing, old-fashioned, do things the old way sort of girl when I spotted that magazine one day in a bookstore.Now I realize I am not alone, there are other ladies who share my love for these things. That's been wonderful!

Caron

"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation".

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  10:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,

I've not posted for a very long time, but I check out the website every day! First I broke my wrist and then life got in the way, but I've been with you sisters each day. MJF gave me a place to come to be with or read about women who shared certain values even if we all live in different places and lead different lives. I've been canning, freezing, and drying food all summer and I get to do the things that have always made me happy: sewing, knitting, cooking, thinking of chickens & goats with the feeling that I am so not alone. When I was a new young married woman I knew I had this yearning for a certain way of life, but could never quite put my finger on it. I slowly evolved into who I am and what I love to do, but MJF and all of you have reinforced my love of country and the old time values. Whew! This thread just made me come back as a poster!! Thanks.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Did being a MaryJane's FARMGIRL change you? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page