Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Let's hear it for the boys......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Let's hear it for the boys...... Next Topic
Page: of 2

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  10:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My hubby and I are getting ready to celebrate 25 years of marriage in a couple of week. It has been on my mind a lot. I suppose that at some point in my youth I recall going to a 25th wedding anniversary for someone and thinking, "Lordy, 25 years?".

My hubby isn't the romatic type~ One of our friends got a card for me one year. One that Tom was to give me. On the outside it had a picture of an old couple all haggered and worn out.. and it said "darlin' I told you once that I love you.... ( then you open it up and it reads, "and if it changes I will let you know. Seems to be the man's montra.

Okay so back then I didn't find it all that funny~ but, this far down the road, I do.

My grandpa called it, when he said of Tom back in our early years... "he is the stickin' kind". and he certainly has been.

He has never been the kind for cards and flowers and gifts~ truth be told most years the day could come and go without any acknowledgment had it not been for the HUGE fit I throw when he forgets yet AGAIN! ( oh did I mention that we got married on the mans birthday and he still can't remember it) Grrr!

So, sixth months ago, I sent him flowers and an anniversary card with a note in it saying~ We did it! We made it to 25. As a young woman I always dreamed of being able to say I have been married for 25 years.....BUT DONT HAVE A DESIRE TO SAY 26 IF YOU DONT REMEMBER THIS ONE!!!!

Truthfully~ I know that by showing up everyday, working like a dog, being a good parent, and man in general and still finding me mildly amusing, he shows that he still loves me..

So~ Let's hear it for the men in our lives...To quote a line from the movie, my best friends wedding "here's to the lucky SOB's that have us, the loosers that lost us and the lucky ones that will some day find us" Let's hear it for the boys.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com
www.ruralfarmgirl.blogspot.com
www.farmgirlsfarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  11:11:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow, 25 years being together and still being happy,you go girl. You make your own happiness. I would love to say that I have been married to the same man for 25 years. If I live to be 80 I will be able to say that. My younger brother who my parents would not sign papers to let him get married will be celabrating 35 years in a week. I waited until I was 26 to get married and that was a big flop so then I waited 10 more years to get married and that didn't go well either. So I waited 12 more years and this one will make it. Thank-God.
Congratulations, Now you can aim for 50 years...

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  12:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Rene and to your hubby too!

I have one of the stickin' kind, too, also named Tom, and I have been grateful for him every day for 32 years. He works hard, takes care of himself, does not talk much, and is not always the huggy kind with the kids, but he is a good, good man and he loves the Lord, too, in his quiet steady way.

Yes, let's hear it for the boys, and thanks for posting this! My daddy was the same kind of man, so there have been two good guys in my life. Thank you Lord.

I just noticed that this post was my 4,521st post. My dad's birthday was 5/21, so this post is 4 5/21 (for daddy)!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 13 2009 11:33:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  3:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations on your 25th anniversary Rene! I made it to 23 on my first marriage and 5 so far on this one but my hubby now is such a great guy! He does much of the housework here and still holds down a full time job. He worries if I do too much because of some health issues I have and always is supportive of me. He boosts my faith in my creative abilities and has taken the time to set up a nice work triangle for me in our dining room so that I have a place to do my crafts. He encourages me every step of the way and I am a blessed woman.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1668 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1668 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  3:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Rene! Wow 25 years thats great. My hubby is the same. I love him to death and get upset withhim also. We've been married with happiness for 28 years this Oct. Way to go Rene.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  4:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad to see others giving KUDOS to our guys~ I am a pretty indepedant sort, but I know that life would have been very different had I not had someone that was/is like Tom.. I know you all know what I mean.. Thanks gals.

Rene'Groom
A.K.A ProsserFarmGirl
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  06:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations. I too, remember going to anniversary parties in my youth and thinking...."GEEZ"! Rene', you KNOW me. You know my story: and Jerry too, is the 'stickin' kind. Often I've thought of what it might be like to have fame, fortune or good looks, and then....nights like last night happen. Just us, sittin' on the bleachers at the tractor pull. His hand on my knee, BS'n with all the other farmers... and life seemed....so rich and decadent. I am so proud I had the strength and courage to stick with my sticker!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  06:41:50 AM  Show Profile
OKAY.... I apologize, but silly Dawn is coming through. I saw this post topic and immedietly started humming that song, Let's Hear It For the Boys from Footloose. And now, thank you Rene'....it is stuck in my head. Do, dodit do doo doooooooo!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  07:31:44 AM  Show Profile
Yeah Rene'!!! It is hard work to make marriages work. We are getting ready for our 30th in Nov. Way back when, we said our I do's and knew we would grow old together and we have. Well not real old yet but a bit gray around the edges. If I had it all to do again I'd still pick him!

Smiles, Melody June

PS He's not romantic either and does not bring me flowers so I planted a rose garden!

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  07:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dawn~ I know.... I always hear the sound track... LOL You Always Rock tho...
Melody~ Congrats on the 30.... WOW!!! hard work always pays off...

Rene'Groom
A.K.A ProsserFarmGirl
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  08:49:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Congrats on the 25 :) My hubby's name is Tom too, and he also is the 'stickin' kind. We've been together 24 years this November, but our wedding date is March 1986, so we are getting very close to 25.

We've had a wonderful life together, and he is truly the one great love of my life. I couldnt' have made it without him.

Congrats again :)
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Rene. It's always nice to hear that some people do have lasting relationships.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I heard a quote from Ruth Graham once: (Billy Graham's wife) when asked if she had ever considered divorce~ She said "divorce no... murder yes" ahhah I thought that was funny. I am very aware that it takes two to make a marriage work. I have watched a lot of people I love, trying to row the boat of marriage all by themselves and wondering why they never get anywhere, and are absolutley exhausted.....How blessed that I had someone to row with me.

Recently a young married woman in my church asked me "how we did it, made it to 25 year".. of course I said, One day at a time. Then she asked, "did you ever have a rough patch", I replied, "only when he forgets to be amused by my antics... :).. she laughed, but truth be told.. that is pretty much it.

Rene'Groom
A.K.A ProsserFarmGirl
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  12:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Rene and Tom!!! Paul and I just celebrated our 20th this spring....seems like such a long time. I am grateful to him for letting me be home to mother and do the things I love to do. We don't always function like a team but we must have done something right to hang in there this long.

So glad to hear the hubbies get some praise...I know I would not be able to do what I do without Paul and the sacrifices he/we have made!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  2:46:07 PM  Show Profile
When I worked for Hospice, there was a couple who'd been married forever. I asked the husband one day what was the 'secret to a long and happy marriage' to which he replied... "two words...YES DEAR!". I just about fell over laughing!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  4:51:32 PM  Show Profile
"Yes, Dear"

LOL!!!
How perfect!
Congrats Rene! Jennifer! Carrie! Melody!
:-)

Farmgirl Sister #661

chickens clucking, bees buzzing, flowers blooming, all is good!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  6:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dawn we have an elderly couple that comes to our farmers Market~ He is ALWAYS so sweet to her. Their conversations usually go; "what kind of bread should we get?" and he ALWAYS says, whatever you think honey.. SO sweet. SO one day I asked, "so how long do I have to be married before my hubby says that to me... at the same time they both said 5 YEARS...............grrr!!! They have only been married for 5 years. I was assuming like 50,.... grrr! Guess that aint happening! LOL

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Aug 14 2009 06:01:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  6:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Rene, congratulations!! I remember our 25th. Our daughter went all out for us and had the best little anniversary party with family and close friends. It was great. That was almost 7 years ago. We'll have our 32nd in October. Wow. I never thought I would say that. Only by the grace of God, too. It's been a ride for sure. My hubby is a Mr. Steady. He's a very hard worker. I have done my share of the work, too. We have had a lot of hard times and alot of smooth sailing. And we always say no matter what, we'll make it. I would not want anyone else. I beleive he was made just for me. We just work good together. And yes, I totally agree with Mrs. Graham! No matter what happened we never even talked about divorce, but I sure wanted to kill him a time or two! But we never could have afforded to divorce anyway!

I hope you have a wonderful 25th, with ot without Tom!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  7:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
kristin~ 32... so AWESOME!
Ya, being poor was the glue for us at certain points~ that and the fact that we didnt have the heart to make two other people this miserable LOL Just kidding~ he is rock steady!!! I am lucky~

Well there will certainly be no party here.. I think it so sweet that your kiddos did that... My kiddos are in the services and are BOYS!!!! need I say more? LOL

But that is OK~ I am a big girl and I have a bank card... and I am not afraid to use it :) ( party for one) LOL

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  04:50:11 AM  Show Profile
I got a little ahead of myself. It will be 31 years in Oct. 1978 is when we got married. I am not good at math. Sorry.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  04:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations!! What an inspiration all of you "long timers" are to us!! I have been married just over 5 years. We have had some tough spots but for the most part a very happy 5 years! I am thankful for my husband and the sacrifices he makes for me and our children every single day. I often think of the newer country song "I thought I loved you then" and I'm confident that when I'm old and grey I"ll still be able to sing that song!!!
My hubby is a Mr. Steady too and I love that about him because he is so consistent for me!!
Mrs. Grahams statement reminds me of a friend of our family. When they got married and got back to their home the groom laid a pistol on the dresser. His bride asked him what it was. His reply, "that is the divorce". I'm happy to report they are still alive...and of course still married!!!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  05:16:43 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations to all of you couples!!!

My husband and I have been married a short time - 13 years in January :) It seems like it has been longer but in a good way. I remember our first year of marriage, we literally took turns each month going to the emergency room. (for about 8 months) I think that first year brought us even closer to the Lord and each other.

He definitely sticks and I am blessed beyond measure! I don't receive flowers very often either. A funny story. Michael knew that a certain time was coming up for me. He came home from work with a card, flowers, and a pound of cheese. He knew that my comfort food was tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches during that time of the month :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  4:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Rene: Congrats you and to all who have anniversaries... (ours will be 48). Just don't do what we did on our 25th. No one brought a camera. We had to go home and get it and my husband was so rattled he took our pictures against a bright window. I also wanted him to renew the vows and he said NO. We've laughed about that for many years. He promised he would do it on our 50th.

Bonnie Ellis farmgirl #298

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  04:57:31 AM  Show Profile
do do dit too doo dooooooo!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  07:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Dawn~ Still humming the song.. I am sorry, I know what that is like.. But it is a catchy little one.

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  07:40:39 AM  Show Profile
We have been married 22 months. Both were married previously. I was married for 20 years but not very happily. Gary has given me more joy in the last 4 years than I ever knew I could have. More security than I knew possible. I am so grateful that he wasn't scared of 9 children.

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Let's hear it for the boys...... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page