Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 kitchen decor imput needed! help MJF Ladies!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic kitchen decor imput needed! help MJF Ladies! Next Topic  

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  1:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Ok, so my boyfriend (soon to be husband, next summer) and I are in need of some decoration ideas for our kitchen. It needs to be painted and a few other things. I'll tell what i have for our kitchen and please give me any input at all!!

Vintage red leather chairs with white top table and red legs(70's style)
Green Country print curtains
Black kitchen aid appliances
Solid wood kitchen island

My kitchen in my old house had old bottles and some of those country style lambs around it.

any cute ideas y'all have done??

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  4:14:46 PM  Show Profile
bring in some red handled kitchen utensils.use an old crock to hold the utensils/tie a handspun looking big gingham fabric bow around the crock for an extra "feminine" touch. try to find some vintage farm prints(chickens, cows, etc.) and frame them in either white, black, or red frames.Putting a set of small framed mirrors above your stove adds interest too.Find an old style teapot or coffee pot in a cheery color and fill it with sunny yellow, red or white flowers for your dining centerpiece.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  5:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I saw something really cute once- for cabinents that have an inset piece of wood, you can pop out the wood and replace it with chicken wire. You could do 2 layers- chicken wire and then a cute piece of fabric or just the chicken wire. It gives the whole room a different look. I loved it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  5:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I love the red handled items, i actually have quite a few of them too! I think i will do that, and i'm not sure about the cabinet idea, but i do love it. I may do that on an old hutch that i have. It sounds like it would look great!

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  06:22:41 AM  Show Profile
I swear by vintage table cloths. I have used them for window treatments, door coverings (where a closet had no door), and to hide my ugly avocado green dishwasher that does not work! My favorite farmhouse inspriation? Feed sacks! Contrary Wife has them hung up like curtains in her house.
Lets see....old tins would give it a homey look too! And you can play with the color scheme!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1668 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1668 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  7:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, I have red green and black in my kitchen. I found some cute material with greengingham and apples made curtains and went around withthat theme. I accented the red in the curtains with red canisters various size apples scattered around. I also took old wooden fence planks cut them into whatever size and painted a cute saing on it. The background of the wood would either be a red or green. I also have black appliences. I like the idea of a vintage looking kitchen.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  7:46:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Claudia, I was wondering if you could describe the curtains a little more. Is your island dark wood or light. I've been giving your kitchen some thought and just had a couple of questions. Do you like the vintage look also?
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:00:54 PM  Show Profile
When we bought our old farm house it had ugly, greasy wooden kitchen cabinets. I saw an idea very much like Alee suggests in a country magazine. My husband cut an panel out of each cabinet front, primed and painted them white then covered the inside with chicken wire. I got two yards of red ginham fabric then HE sewed simple curtians onto each door with two little tension rods. He then installed pewter drawer knife, fork, spoon door pulls onto the cabinet fronts. All spoons for the top cabinets, knives for the waist leval cabinets and forks for the lower cabinets. He also sewed curtians for the windows. Anyone interested in the photos can message me as I could never figure out how to post photos on this site. I am a lucky woman!! Total cost $80 or so. The door pulls were $40.00 alone but the paint, fabric and chicken wire were practicaly nothing. Looks like an entirely kitchen. I also decorated with red accents, primarily red gingham.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
my curtains are a dark leaf green color and my island is a light wood. I LOVE the vintage look!!

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Well I was just thinking red gingham curtains would be really cute with your table. The red handled utensils would be great too. Have you thought about wall color? White would be ok, but I just love a soft yellow for a kitchen, especially if you have some sunny windows. Chickens would be great for some decor and lots of them have red tones in the paintings or designs. You could put a hook somewhere and hang up a cute apron or two. I'll keep thinking.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:20:20 AM  Show Profile
I've got a lot of those colors in my kitchen too. Lots of red and greens, but not to heavy on the black. My kitchen is done in a farmy theme. I have roosters and gingham. Anything that can have sunflowers on it or in it does. :D
I incorporated the red and green from strawberry embroidery that I've done and tied in into the farmy things. It isn't overly decorated, and I used a lot of color from the appliances.
I picked a main focal point and worked my colors around those. I have two John Deere farm pictures. They have the green, red, yellow, and blue (if I wanted to use denim to help it along)
I love the idea of the chicken wire, but I also love the cabinet fronts that are just open. Sometimes you can just hang a curtain there or even aprons along a curtain rod above it, like each set of two cupboards is a window. :)
I'll be thinking on this one. :D
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  8:47:32 PM  Show Profile
what i love to do is scour the antique/flea markets/thrift stores for tins... i love to put my coffee and tea in them, but you could use them for anything you need alot that can be out on the counter - flour, sugar, etc. also, i like to find mason jars and such, containers that are clear and put dried beans, pasta, stuff with texture that is interesting to look at. at the moment, we have no doors on our cabinets, so to take away the containers food comes in so my kitchen doesn't look like a store, using nice containers gives it a more rustic look!
i'm also in the process of finding country fabric and making curtains for my bottom cabinets rather than using doors... you could also use curtains for the top cabinets rather than doors... the chicken wire idea is also very country and fun!

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  11:57:20 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Elizabeth. Flea Markets and Etsy are great for vintage Kitchen items
Have fun with your remodel
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  2:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, I have hung up pie tins and cookie cutters on my kitchen walls along with the red handled stuff. I also have a 4 shelved rack I hung up and put matching spice jars in it and on the top I put little knick-knacks. It looks really nice. Now if I would only finish my paint job in there

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  10:49:39 AM  Show Profile
If you don't have a lot of light in your kitchen, you might consider painting and off white. Then, no matter what you put on them, they will show off. If you are a farmgirl without a lot of money, consider finding some old farm magazine and frame some of the ads. Sometimes they are black white and red. Choose a theme. In my kitchen I chose a lettuce green wall and my white cupboards. We have a skylight, but I have red barns and farm animals all over the place. Have fun choosing what YOU like!

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  12:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Thank you Bonnie! The walls are already an off white and i would love to do some bold colors and some of the ideas you have sugguested!

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  3:27:50 PM  Show Profile
A great thing I have noticed since moving back to the country last year is that yard and flea sales can have some really great vintage finds at great prices, whereas city and suburban sales seem to charge an arm and a leg for what they call vintage or antique, lol!
I have found: vintage tablecloths, dish towels, aprons and napkins that I use for curtains, layered table coverings, just hang on a hook, whatever. Also I love enamel ware! I once got a small red and white enameled double boiler from my great aunt and built my kitchen around that. The old red and white spice jars, enameled bowls and pots, red handled utensils(mentioned before). I find more stuff the more sales I go to! Also, if you are crafty, I've been reading about making rag rugs, and thought how cute a red and white rag rug would look in front of my sink, so will be starting that soon. A small one like that shouldn't take long at all.
You're fortunate that you can paint and/or remove your cabinets, I've always wanted cabinets painted white or cream minus the doors.
Have fun!!! And, post pics when you're done!

Brenda

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic kitchen decor imput needed! help MJF Ladies! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page