Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Handmade wedding gift
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Handmade wedding gift Next Topic  

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:01:14 AM  Show Profile
I just know that one of you creative farmgirls will be able to help me. I've been working on a wedding gift. It's a handquilted table runner, 4 place mats, and 4 napkins. Seems that wedding gifts are getting "bigger and better" these days. I'm not sure that's enough. I'm looking for ideas to make that would go along with this gift.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to give a gift such as this, but you know, the last few years we're more about people and not about big expensive gifts. Personally, I would love to receive a gift like this - made with so much thought, care, love and time. My DH would enjoy seeing it on the table and I know we'd think of that gift-giver each time we used it.

So far I've come up with coasters or maybe a casserole cover.
Please share your inspirational ideas.

Christine

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Christine!

How about a nice re-usable wicker basket to put your handiwork in along with some nice candles, a bottle of wine, etc.? I know some of these items would need to be purchased, but all assembled together with a bow (raffia if it is "country") it would be a beautiful gift.

Good luck!
Luanne

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies,

You've a great idea going here. And to keep the cost to a minimun, look around for the basket, bet you have a wonderful one there at your house. Maybe check for some wine glasses at a second hand store (thrift store)? All tucked into the basket with a raffia bow and Luanne hit the nail on the head. Please post a picture of your gift. I'd love to see it.

Have a good day!

Michelle
Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.
http://thetatteredquiltcottage.blogspot.com

Edited by - Futters on Aug 12 2009 06:30:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  07:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Your wedding gift sounds WONDERFUL! I hope these are very special people to you given all the time and love you've put into their gift. I too would like to see a pic.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Edited by - 4HMom on Aug 12 2009 07:08:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  07:36:42 AM  Show Profile
I think it is a beautiful gift! I gave a simple wedding gift last year that was a cross-stitch that had the couple's name and wedding date that I framed. The bride loved it and told other people about how cool it was to have something so personal and she put it in her bedroom where she'd see it often. I think the bride should love something homemade. I went to a baby shower this week and I made a simple baby quilt for the gift. After the gifts were opened, the guests were pulling it back out to take a look because it was the only homemade gift offered. Homemade gifts are a lost art and people are usually so impressed to receive them. Personally, I think we should go back to them. They are more personal and customizable and special, and in this budget conscious era, they're more economical too. Best of luck with your gift making!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile
I've been married just over a year. My husband and I treasure the homemade gifts that we received. His aunt made us some placemats and napkins and we love them.

I think a table-runner, placemats and napkins are plenty without adding anything. Remember that you are adding your time and that is meaningful.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  7:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for your ideas and encouragement. I almost changed my mind about giving this gift, but now I'm convinced that it's the perfect gift thanks to all of you.

Luanne, I don't want to give wine to this couple, but you've given me the idea to find a flat basket, maybe rectangular, and fold everything up nicely. I do like the raffia bow idea - pairs perfectly with a basket.

AlyssaMarie, I bet your baby quilt was anything but simple. Even the simplest of quilt patterns take on a whole new look when put together. What a wonderful gift for that baby to treasure.

Rhonda, I'm glad to hear the homemade gift from your Aunt holds a special place in your heart.

I think I'll look for a basket and I will add some quilted coasters and be done. I have a basket like this, but I use it for our everyday cloth napkins.

Thanks a bunch!
Christine

Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  8:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Christine, If you have any fabric left, you could hem a single layer larger than the napkins, arrange everything in it, and say that it's a roll basket.

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Handmade wedding gift Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page