abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  6:14:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to get moonflowers and morning glories to cover the outside of my deck. The morning glories have been blooming but I haven't been able to catch the moonflowers at all...just one spent bloom. I got to see this tonight and it smells great. Sure hope I'm blessed with more...

If any of you ladies know any tips to get this taking off better, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  7:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Abby,
I love Moonflowers, I love the "babypowder' scent they give off in the evening. I use to plant them on the shady side of my house back in So Calif. I also planted about a dozen seeds with in 3-4" of each other so that the vines would look more bushy.I also harvested my seeds for the following year.
All that being said, I tried grwoing them up here and they just are not doing much,,,they won't vine up but rather are just spreading out on the ground....and seem to have just stopped growing....
As for my morning glories, I swear (back in SO Cal)you can drop the seeds on the sidwalk & they will grow,,,,I especially loved growing them under my Almond tree...they would use the tree to vine up. Again, up here I planted them along my garden fence and they are finally starting to vine up, but I fear that with only about 3-4 more weeks of warm weather they won't make it to blooms.
Having both Moonflowers & Morning glories gives you flowers day & nite and I love the wonderful smell from te Moonflower.
Enjoy yours.....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  05:52:35 AM  Show Profile

I used to have them, too. They smell heavenly. Are they anything at all like the trumpet flower? A little man at the farmers market gave me 2 pots of them. I gave one to my mom and put the other one in my big iron pot. I had it out in the sun but that thing stayed wilted no matter how much I watered it. So I moved it under the maple tree and that thing has just taken off. It's a good 3-4' tall and now is full of blooms. And they are a double purple on the outside with pink on the inside and really ruffly. So pretty. But no scent. I need to take a pic and send it to Alee to put on here.

Enjoy your flowers and the smell. It will make your whole place smell good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:33:00 AM  Show Profile
So, Grace, you had them growing on the shady side in CA ? Maybe I should try that. I hope they start going good in WA. I agree with both you and Kristin- the smell is incredible. Good luck with you trumpet flowers Kris, they sound happy under that maple. I've not grown them myself but they sure do sound pretty. Maybe I'll try some moonflowers in the shade and see how they do. It's been so hot, I sure appreciate a little shade too.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Finally...a moonflower Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page