prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:48:49 AM  Show Profile
so, i was just out at the garden picking some strawberries and green beans and took a look around to check up on my "babies." whoa! my pumpkin vines are going crazy! we were working on steering them in the direction we wanted so they don't get too tangled up in each other... but now i have even more vines (my hubby decided to plant the "discard" pumpkin plants just to see if they'd survive... well they did).
has anyone tried to steer their vines? could you maybe put some stakes in the ground and keep them on the course you have plotted, see if they'll grab ahold of the stakes? we thought we had enough room, but my hubby forgot we planted a few more plants this year than last, so they are just everywhere! we also want to keep the squash and pumpkin vines as separated as we possibly can, since they were planted right next to each other....

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  11:25:07 AM  Show Profile
As far as I know you CAN steer them somewhat. I have tried it years ago and it worked :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  2:19:13 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Jodi....steer away! I get volunteers growing where I really don't want them and since I hate to kill anything that is trying, I just make them follow MY rules! You shouldn't have any problems.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic can you "steer" pumpkin vines? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page