Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Need Fabulous Salsa Recipe To Can
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need Fabulous Salsa Recipe To Can Next Topic  

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  2:53:20 PM  Show Profile
My husband loves salsa and I'm so-so about it. Anyway, since he uses it on just about everything I thought I would can some for him. I made five pints of a recipe I had a few days ago. It is just okay. It tastes fine, there is just nothing special or exciting about it. If anyone has a wonderful salsa recipe for canning or tips on making a plain salsa recipe better, and are willing to share it I would love to here about it. I would like to can up a years supply once I find something that my husband loves. Thanks...

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  3:22:49 PM  Show Profile
I have THE BEST! Let me see if I can ddig it up!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  3:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Okay I found it. This comes from my friend Pat who teaches third grade at the school where I teach. It is THE BEST salsa! She brings it to our pot lucks and it always gets raves. I haven't actually canned it yet myself so I'm gonna type it just like she has it. She has some notes at the bottom I will include.

Peel and slice really ripe tomatoes
2/3 dish pan sliced tomatoes
1 quart vinegar
1 quart sugar
4-6 large onions(diced or ground)
4-6 large bell peppers(chopped or ground)
15 hot Jalepeno peppers(sliced or ground)
1/2 cluster of garlic(diced or ground)
1 Tablespoon Chili powder
1 tablespoon salt

Add all of these ingredients to the tomatoes. Cook over medium high heat. Use a potato masher all the time while cooking. Cook for 30 minutes at a rolling boil. Be careful not to scorch. After cooking if not thick enough add 2 tablespoon cornstarch to 1/3 cup of water and add to the mixture. Makes 15 pints or more. Pour into hot jars and seal 10 minutes in the boiling water bath.

Here are pat's notes:
I make mine in a large 5 gal. pot(like a lobster pot). I do not use a dishpan. Also I always chop mine by hand. If you use a food processor it wont be as chunky. I usually dont add corn starch to mine I just take out some of the juice.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm, sounds like a lot of Jalepeno peppers. I guess I could just cut down on these but would I add more bell peppers or onions?
What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  7:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes I would probably only put 2 in mine LOL! It make 15 pints and calls for 15 peppers so really only 1 per jar. Not too bad when you look at it that way. I would also seed and devane mine to cut down on heat.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need Fabulous Salsa Recipe To Can Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page