Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 113 by 13 - things for a girl to learn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic 113 by 13 - things for a girl to learn Next Topic  

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  04:41:25 AM  Show Profile
My sister suggested this book to me. http://www.113by13.com/113_things/ I have an 11 yo daughter (and an 8 yo as well) Just looking at the site I knew it wasn't for us. But I thought - why not make our own list of 113 or so things to do together before 13? Things I want to teach her (both of them).

Want to help me make a list? Things that are important for a girl to learn. Fun things too.

Some things I have so far:

Bread making (we've been lazy and have been using the bread machine)
Make a quilt
Make Giardiniera (hot & mild)
Make pickles & can them.
Add to their hope chests.
Clean fish - fillet.
How to write a thank you note.
Make your own rice crispy treats. :o)
Bake well.
Perform CPR.
Make a menu
Keep a budget
Balance a checkbook.

build a fire - this is a work in progress.

Ok I need more coffee now. I'd love to hear your ideas!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  05:29:39 AM  Show Profile
Unclog a toilet. It's a life saver when needed.
Pour a cup of any dish soap in the toilet and let sit about five minutes. Then fill the largest pot or bucket with hot water from the tub and pour into the toilet and fast and you can pour it. It is gravity feed and all the water goes down. I don't know how it works but it does 99% of the time. I've had to do it three times and what a life saver. No more plunger or plumber.

Or better yet teach her to teach the man in her life!!! LOL
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  07:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget to teach them how to change a tire!

I know this sounds goofy, but last summer my 15 year old went to a national 4-H training in MS. She had to fly by herself from here (Montana) to there, with 2 plane changes. We take cell phones for granted, but what if there isn't any service? I taught her how to make a collect phone call and how to use a pay phone (things we grew up knowing how to do, but I don't ever remember specifically being taught).

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  08:34:38 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, that's not goofy at all! As a young girl, I started travelling (and living on my own) at 14. I flew (in one year) to Boston, to NYC, to Denver, CO and then to Michigan for the school year. Each time, I was unattended. At 17 1/2, after graduation, I was living on my own in London, England. It's IMPERATIVE that girls are savvy, and to arm them with common sense and self esteem. I knew to ask questions, and I knew to ask the right people (people who worked for the airline, or the hotel, or someone affiliated, never strangers. This was LONG before cell phones!!!

I would also add:

how to make a roux (you can do ANYTHING in the kitchen if you know how to do this!!!)
how to darn/mend, hem a pair of pants, sew buttons--basic sewing skills (by hand, really)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  09:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Basic self-defense, jump-start a car, basic survival skills, basic first-aid, keeping a journel

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

florina
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Christine
Sheboygan WI
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  05:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Teach your girls how to be frugal with everything for when times are tough as in now days.It also helps, so that you can save money for things you need and not be a slave to credit.
Teach them also that bartering is a good method also.

"Have Some Fun Everyday!"
Titus 2:5
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  09:54:28 AM  Show Profile
This is a great thread! I have a 3 year old little girl, and while some of these things are obviously way too advanced for her, there are little things that can be worked toward. She helps me put the ingredients in the bread machine (someday we'll make it by hand) and she picks out fabrics for her quilt. She loves to play with my knitting needles - I can't wait until she's old enough to learn how to knit! This is a great idea and I think I'll start my own list for her - I also think it's so wonderful Deb, that you have hope chests for your girls! I think I'll start one for mine too! What a great tradition that has been lost, really, over the years. Well thanks to you, I'm bringing it back!

Melissa

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  07:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful idea! I have 3 girls, ages 5,6 and 9. I have taught them all (among other things) how to crotchet. They start out making chains...My granny taught me when I was 3, I have started mine at 5. Granny had more patience than I do! I would say any hand crafts are nice to learn. It isn't very prevalent today, but the satisfaction my girls get when they make a doily that mommy displays on the side table is awesome!. Another thing would be letter writing. No one writes letters anymore. It's sad when you never get anything in the mail but bills. Maybe we should start a pen pal club for our little farmgirls. Has anyone suggested that before?
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  07:23:49 AM  Show Profile
I had both my girls in The Girls Scouts and there really isn't any thing that they don't get some sort of hands on experience.
You can either have your own troop or just get the hand books and do the badge work. I am very confident that my two could handle everything they need. And it is a great way to have some fun with your girls. The boys wouldn't even mind I don't think. Or get the Boy scout Hand books so much in both that your time will be full up.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  08:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
This is a wonderful topic.

But, I wouldn't limit it to girls. I've got a girl and two boys. My daughter is ... let me do the math 'cause it can't be right ... 41! Anyway, all three of them started doing laundry at age 5. I started them out just sorting the clothes and putting them in the washer for me to wash, once that became a routine I showed them the machine settings and how much detergent to use, and of course then they had to dry, fold, and put away their own things.

I think my two sons actually did more cooking/baking than my daughter (my youngest loves to invent new versions of his favorite foods) but they didn't want to learn to sew on a machine even though both boys (18 + 37) can do basic sewing. My daughter sewed her own clothes in high school with a first major project being her prom dress.

All my kids had to get firewood/kindling in and they could build a fire/keep it going in the wood stove.

My daughter took a car motor apart when she was in her 20's with the guidance of her then boyfriend. My older son is great with cars too.

Both my older children had a job(s) and their own checkbook when they were 14; my youngest has Asperger's and therefore doesn't have the skill of handling money or a job. He can only handle small amounts at a time.

My daughter actually took shop in high school and loved woodworking.

Funny thing is, my daughter has always been a girlie girl, glitter, lace, etc. but quite capable of taking on any project.

So, I got off track, sorry...

My list (some already mentioned) would include the following:

Basic car knowledge (checking tires, oil, washer fluid, etc.)
Money management (checking or savings account)
Food (grocery shopping, food preperation, cooking, baking and don't forget to add composting those scraps)
Gardening
Household emergencies (storms, water pipe leaks, washer/dishwasher problems/dryer)
Laundry too.

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi

Edited by - LynnMarie on Sep 04 2009 09:07:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  08:37:07 AM  Show Profile
This is a great thread!! I would like to add Laundry to the list. I cannot believe how many kids go off to college and have NO idea how to do their own laundry.

I think it's important to learn how to do laundry by hand as well as in the washing machine. You just never know when you might have to resort to washing clothes by hand.

So, Laundry
Embroidery
Cross stitch
Basic Cooking and baking
Resourcefulness (how to make something out of what's on hand)
Many others that have already been mentioned I completely agree with like changing a tire, basic sewing skills, first aid and CPR, budgeting, canning, lots of good stuff. Lynn's suggestion about learning how to manage in a crisis is excellent. I came by this skill from my parents and took it for granted until I realized (during an ice storm) that my husband's family has NO SURVIVAL skills at all. They were completely incapable of functioning without electricity.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  5:05:20 PM  Show Profile
something I had to re-teach myself that I wish someone, a teacher or my parents, were more concerned with was cursive. I have always been able to print with the best of them but good cursive is priceless. actually ledgible handwriting of any kind.

another thing is balancing a whole week of food without much effort or much prepackaged food. Useing crock pots and whole chickens and dried beans and rice. Pretty elementary things in the kitchen, but combined to understand how to use up all that food and not have to throw out left overs because you don't know what to do with them.

and use a planner. I always thought they were cool, but no one ever told me how to use one. I got Franklin Covey's 7 Habits book and although I don't have the time to use my planner in that kind of capacity, it showed me a lot about how to use one. And it helps me so much.

My kids are both under 2. But I'm excited to instill habits in them. Like picking up around the house before bed and getting things ready for tomorrow the night before. My 15 month old already helps me put away her toys each night. she's getting good!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  04:23:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I hope to print them off and start a journal for the girls. (As soon as I have a new printer. )

quote:
I had both my girls in The Girls Scouts and there really isn't any thing that they don't get some sort of hands on experience.
You can either have your own troop or just get the hand books and do the badge work.

I am the Girl Scout leader! LOL! We have done some great projects with the girls. Woodworking, a U-fix-it class, outdoor cooking - things like that. It's hard to get 20 girls to agree on a project/topic they'd like to work on. It's a new year though -we'll see what they want to learn.

PHONE ETIQUETTE! One more for the list. I'm tired of kids not leaving messages or when you get on the phone they don't know what to do. My girls are pretty good, but it's something we can work on still.

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  07:19:36 AM  Show Profile
oh phone etiquette is a great one! I landed my first job because of the phone etiquette my mom taught me. One of my parents friends whom I had never met called my mom and asked if I was interested in a phone customer service position just from how I had always answered our house phone!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  05:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Now that my printer is up and working I can print out this wonderful list you have all provided me with!

I also have the book Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion. It has a section on Adult Skills Class. I'm going to put together "classes" for my girls in the areas of baking, preparing meals, cleaning, crafts & other skills needed in life. They'll learn along side me or if I can't teach it I'll find a friend who can. (such as knitting/sewing etc.) I have a handy software that I can print out certificates of completion - after final exam.

I'm excited to get started. Something to keep us busy this winter.

Of course if you still have ideas - I'm always open to more.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  12:22:48 AM  Show Profile
How to use hand tools to build small useful items
How to start seedlings for the garden
How to find things at the library
Canning!
How to sew on buttons and how to hand sew
How to pick good produce
Grocery shopping...how to make a master list and follow it
dishes...how to do them correctly by hand

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  09:35:22 AM  Show Profile
***http://www.113by13.com/113_things/ I have an 11 yo daughter (and an 8 yo as well) Just looking at the site I knew it wasn't for us.***

LOL that site is revolting but the idea is good. These topics need to be added to the theoretical MJF badge program for kids. Look at the thread about it over at the sisterhood forum - I don't guess I know how to link to it.

Wow, age 13 is barreling down on us like a freight train! My daughter is 9 now.

I love everyones ideas about what is important before 13.

For my daughter we need more work on phone skills - and I don't mean texting LOL.

also
using reference books
handwashing dishes (our dishwasher just broke down so we have been practicing this - I didn't think there was much skill involved till I tried to show her how to do it)
writing christmas cards
keeping a calendar
packing a suitcase
putting away groceries

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at www.SunshineForDinner.com

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  05:17:35 AM  Show Profile
I saw that list! I just signed up for the Sisterhood this morning. My girls love looking through MJ's book. We'll also be using it - and the other ideas you have listed. Can't remember if I see fossil hunting/collecting in it or not? Something my girls love to do. (We find them in our yard. Just shell ones (don't remember the scientific name) fun all the same.

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  2:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I love this topic. Thanks for the great ideas! even though I'm 14 almost 15 it's never to late to start. :)
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  08:40:18 AM  Show Profile
How to start and use a savings account. (ie: 15% goes into savings for Long Term, 10% savings short term, etc.)
How to pump gas.
How to start a fire.
How to set up a tent.
HOW TO TELL WHICH WAY IS NORTH/SOUTH/EAST/WEST. ( I cannot express this enough)-along with how to spot the North Star.
How to read a compass.
How to make sweet tea.
Gun Safety and Use.
How to do age-appropriate makeup. So many girls run around with makeup CAKED on their faces!
How to tell disrespectful men that they're not worth their time!!!!!! I wish someone would have told me at 13, 14, 15 that being berated by guys my age is WRONG and I WISH someone would have told me how to tell these disrespectful, mean guys to take a hike! I was so scared of "Hurting their feelings, or making them mad at me" Oh, what I should've done!!!!!!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic 113 by 13 - things for a girl to learn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page