Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Local Festivals Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  10:32:45 AM  Show Profile
What sorts of local, "country" festivals do you have in your area? In my home county in NC, in September, we have a "Brightleaf Hoedown" to celebrate the tobacco harvest.(The county is primarily a farming community, and mostly tobacco, with dairy farms, beef cattle, corn, etc.) It is held on the town square, in front of the historic courthouse. There is lots and lots of food, bake sales, ice cream, funnel cake, etc. Crafts, music, tobacco auction, old farm equipment displays, and tobacco spittin' contest! When I was a kid they had a "hollerin'" contest, but they don't do that anymore. Plus, the county usually names a "farmer of the year", based on community volunteering, etc. We're such a small, rural county, we don't even have a county fair anymore.
In the spring, there is a "Spring Fling," with rides, parade, food, music and Bossie Bingo!! Bossie bingo is where they mark off about a half an acre paddock with square-foot sections using paint. They fence it off and turn out a cow in there. Then people "buy" a square for a few dollars, and your number is recorded. When "Bossie" deposits her manure on the square you bought, you win the jackpot!
What do you do in your area?

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com

Edited by - Hosanna on Aug 09 2009 10:36:02 AM

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  5:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Here in Littleton we are currently having our Western Welcome Week. That week has turned into 11 days of various activities. I think it originally was to celebrate our Western/Agricultural heritage. We've become so suburban anymore that most of those types of activities have gone by the wayside but we still have a community picnic in the park complete with fireworks and a band, and there's a horseshoe tourneyment, Gold Panning, an old fashioned cake contest, a stick horse stampede for the little ones, pony rides and a petting zoo and my favorite, the quilt show at the Presbyterian church. It all ends next weekend with a big parade down mainstreet and an arts & crafts festival.

It's really a big thing here, there are over 40 different activities thoughout that 11 day celebration.

For the last several years I've wanted to attend a county fair in a true rural community since living in the big city you don't have the good fairs anymore. I want to see the cooking, canning, sewing...competitions. Thought I was going to make it to one this year but sadly other duties called. Ah well! Maybe next year!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Local Festivals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page