mom2my2boyz
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Sarah
MN
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  7:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Toni, I didn't get an answer in time, so I just did a hot water bath for 40-50 minutes. It was a roasted tomato sauce with a little bit of onion and garlic and some herbs in it. Hope I'm ok because I already did it! :o) Was a little disappointed though - I did up 20 pounds of tomatoes (with the onions and garlic, etc) and only got three - THREE quarts out of it all! Boy, that was a LOT of work for not very much sauce! Did I do something wrong??? I mean, the sauce is delicious and thick, exactly the way we like it, I just didn't get a lot out of those tomatoes...

"So I threw my hands in the air. I was done with Wal-Mart and Wonderbread. I wanted something real."
-Excerpted from Jenna Woginrich's book, "Made from Scratch" a must-read!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  8:21:41 PM  Show Profile
drooling...I'd love the Chunky Basil sauce recipe too. Mmm!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  9:41:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lovelady

OK Marcia, don't kick me out of the canning club for this, but I just used a pack of Mrs. Wage's that I bought last year and never used.

LOL....I would never do that. Just the fact that you can is enough for me.

I would love the recipe for the Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce. It sounds good. And I think we have all of the ingredients.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  8:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Please share the Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce. It sounds like several of us would love to have it.

Joanna - What is Peach candy? Is it like peach leather?

Yesterday I was up until 2 a.m. doing more green beans and Italian Zucchini. Today I did cucumber pickle salad. Tomorrow I will be rearranging the pantry shelf to make room for this years supply.

I have had no luck with tomatoes this year. I have several green ones, but by the time they are ripening, some little critter is eating chunks out of them. I will probably be looking for a place to purchase at least a bushel because I really want to make my swiss steak sauce and some stewed tomatoes if nothing else. I used some of last years to make the Italian Zucchini.
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  05:47:23 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday we did 56 quart bags of freezer corn. Today I am doing more zucchini bread to go in the freezer and doing the last of the cucumbers for refrigerator pickles. You put cucumbers and rest of the ingredients in a bucket to sit for two days and then put into jars and straight into the fridge. No canning them and they stay nice and crisp. But you really need an extra fridge for this. And I have to shred cabbage yet today too. So my housework will stay neglected for another day!!! Shirley-I would love to know how you make your swiss steak sauce. It sounds yummy!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

keyboo
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Lucy
Cambridge Springs Pa.
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  09:20:58 AM  Show Profile
Well...EVERYTHING has been put on hold. The fair is here! I entered some of my jellies and a few knitting projects, a photo of my cat (keyboo), homemade lye soap, a ukrainian dyed egg, a appliqued purse and a few flowers from my garden! AND, my son was sick and in the hosp. Now, maybe i can get back to my garden... i can't find anything through the weeds.....
Lucy
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  12:53:55 PM  Show Profile
trying pickles for the first time!
http://www.recipezaar.com/Blue-Ribbon-Dill-Pickles-241139 - dills
and cinnamon: http://www.recipezaar.com/omg-delicious-cinnamon-pickled-cucumber-rings-cukes-383186
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  1:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Next Year I will Can....

1. tomatoes
2. green beans
3. peaches
4. blueberries
5. strawberries
6. raspberries
7. pumpkin
8. pickles
9. peppers
10. squash

My garden didn't take off as well as i hoped. We got very little tomatoes, green peppers and cucumbers...that was all.

One tip from my SIL: add mulch to the garden to help with watering, etc...

miles of smiles~
Peg

http://thelavenderfairy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  9:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday more dill pickles. Today is was peaches. And the corn that we didn't get to. There's always tomorrow. Then there will be more peaches.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  05:07:47 AM  Show Profile
Peach candy is the best!! You slice up your peaches into thin slices,
wedge shaped. . about a 1/4" thick. You use a wide pan, mine is a corning frying pan so that the peaches are in a single layer in the pan.
Make a thick syrup, place your peach slices in and cook until they are transparent. You will remove them at that point and place them onto a plate full of sugar. Coat the peach slices well with the sugar and then into the dehydrator. You will need to turn the peach slices as you continue to dry them. . sprinkle with more sugar if needed ( if they are too sticky). Once they are dry they resemble a gummy candy with a nice sugar coating.

Place into canning jars, not to tightly packed, add sugar to fill up the air space. Store until christmas. . .if you can!!!
I also do this with apples, which are everyone's all time favorite.
The sugar can be used in cooking, tea, etc. It will have a very slight peach aroma and flavor. . . very subtle.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  05:12:35 AM  Show Profile
I canned up 20lbs of peaches, bread and butter refrigerator pickles (canned them so I can store them for later use), my first try at dill pickles and started drying the garlic seed heads.

Wish we had tomatoes, miss having all those jars of homemade sauce!
Need to can up my zucchinis and summer squash next.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  05:26:43 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I canned 35 quarts of peaches, 5 pints of peach jam and 6 quarts of tomato sauce. Still have more tomatoes to go!

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  06:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday my oldest son was married on the property here, so I have been collecting stuff from the garden for the last few days and will be doing a major canning session today. I have 20 lbs of peaches for peach butter and canned peaches. 20 lbs of tomato for sauce. A friend picked 20 lbs of pears for us and I need to pick them up today. The jalapenos are ready, and there are probably another 5 lbs of beans to pick out there. The only question is where do I start!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  07:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations to your son and his bride Lillian :)

You sure have your hands full! I guess whatever would spoil quickest is what I would start with. What a blessing to have that abundance of goodies :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  08:03:24 AM  Show Profile
Lillian - congratulations on your son's wedding. I'm sure you are both elated that he is married and that the wedding is finally over. It's a shame you can't relax for a few day before getting into the garden and its rewards.

Joanna - thank you for the peach candy recipe. It sounds wonderful. I am one of those that cannot pass up a bag of gummy peaches. The peaches around here are done for the season, but I guarantee I will be making that FIRST next year, unless I can find some this year.

Peg - I always mulch my entire garden with a very thick layer of straw. I also add shredded paper around my tomatoe and cucumber plants. It lets water through, but not the sun and keeps weeds under control. Weeds may grow, but they are growing in the straw and very easy to pull. The straw also keeps the ground from drying out so fast. It is not a scientific proven, but I am convinced the paper keeps tomatoe worms at bay. I do not get them when I mulch with it.

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  08:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Toby - Here is my Swiss Steak recipe: Use quart jars
Tomatoes (skins removed, deseeded)
3-4 red and green sweet bell peppers - chopped
2-3 onions - chopped
1 lb carrots - diced
3-4 stalkes celery - sliced
3-4 Tbls real butter or olive oil may be substituted
3 Tbls soy or Worstershire sauce
3 Tbls brown sugar
1/2 c chopped sweet basil
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbls lemon juice - per jar
1 tsp canning jar - per jar
1 tsp celery salt - per jar

You may also add small amounts of cumin, garlic, parsley, chili powder or oregano.

Process in a pressure canner 35 minutes.

I hope you like this. It is a family favorite. I brown my meat, season lightly with salt and pepper, pour a jar of sauce on top and let it simmer until tender. You may need to add a small amount of water, depending on how it cooks down. This can also be used with stew meat to make a stove-top or crock pot beef stew. Just add more liquid and thicken with some a flour or corn starch slurry.
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  09:00:57 AM  Show Profile
I did tomato sauce, tomato paste, apricot, raspberry, strawberry elderberry jam, lemon jam, red currant jelly, black currant jelly, sour cherry pie filling, pear in light syrup, plum pie filling, apricot in strong syrup, dill picked cucumbers, small red peppers in olive oil and sweet relish.
I've just finished to do 'soup in a jar", I shred all the vegetable I have, carrots, beets, celeriac, celery, eggplants, zucchini, cucumbers, let them sit with a handful of coarse salt for a couple of hours,drain of the juices then pour half cider vinegar, half water, add some branches of thyme, basil, dill to each jar, a table spoon of olive oil and proceed then for 30 minutes in the pressure cooker.
In winter when I want soup, I open one jar and summer is here again.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Aug 24 2009 09:10:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  10:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Today the girls & I canned 54 quarts peaches, 24 quarts roasted tomato sauce and 7 quarts pickles. Along with a peach crisp!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & MRET ~ Energy Healing & Wellness Coaching Sessions

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  07:46:38 AM  Show Profile
It is great to hear what ya'all are doing. Today I will be cleaning 2 lg baskets of green beans. I was raised that you do not waste anything, and today will probably be the last day I can them, so I will probably be giving a lot of them away. I know I will eventually just have to pull the plants out to keep myself from checking and picking beans every other day. Same with the cucumbers. We can only eat so many pickles. I wish I can find a way to make and can cucumber sauce. I love that on gyros and salads.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  9:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi - I found another use for some of the beans. I canned 13 jars of 4 bean salad today. I also had to can some of my beef. My freezer went haywire and some of the beef completely thawed.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  03:23:23 AM  Show Profile
Well, you have to start somewhere right.
I have never canned before (I'm not known for my culinary skills and am more at home in my sewing room than the kitchen) but my friend Carla who cans everything got me inspired along with all you farmgals and I am so proud of my 6 () jars of peaches. I'm thinking I won't be able to bring myself to eat them because they look so pretty!

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  07:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Angie - you can have your cake and eat it too. Take a picture of your peaches, post it on the fridge, and enjoy a bowl of those beautiful peaches. It's always great to meet a new "canner" and I hope you try many more new things. You will never regret it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page