Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  10:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Thought I would share this with you all -- this is great national publicity for nigerian goats!! In the print version of Time that I received yesterday, there is a story that focuses on this woman and other people raising livestock in urban areas, but there is a great photo in there of her nigis as well -- this is exciting! I also heard this woman being interviewed on the radio and she has a pretty interesting story. Apparently she wrote a book as well. Enjoy --

http://www.time. com/time/ photogallery/ 0,29307,1914584, 00.html

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  1:16:53 PM  Show Profile
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1914584_1918332,00.html

Something happened with your link - trying to fix it.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! her yard! That is something I've never considered - nigerian goats. They're so tiny. Something to dream about - my current neighbors would never go for it. Plus I don't have a fence, yet! We'll see - I have to take these things to hubby slowly. I just about have him talked into me digging up my flower patch in the front and turning it into veggie space for next year.

I requested her book from the library! Thanks for the link.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  11:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Oooohhh! I'd love to do this with my back yard! Has been a fantasy since we moved in. We've got a fairly good sized lot and I've always thought a small dairy cow would be quite happy with us along with some chickens. Unfortunately, I'm sure the city would have TONS of problems with that, we are only allowed 3 pets total. The chickens would be OK but I'm afraid cows don't qualify, LOL! My opinion is that the zoning officials have been a bit short sighted for the last 50 years! I'll look for for her book at my library.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  09:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Ooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!! Neat! Now maybe I can convince hubby that a goat is needed. Yes, I would love chickens (especially as a project for the kids) but I adore goats and we could make cheese!!

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  11:13:23 PM  Show Profile
i love this! thanks so much for posting it! I have read about someone who had a huge garden and grew something like 90% of what they ate on a lot about that size. they had chickens too. but I love reading about things like this. My hopes for a house with a large yard may not be realized. BUT I can still grow corn and have chickens, especially if we live in a cheaper place with no HOA or lots of town or city laws.

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  06:09:02 AM  Show Profile
Our subdivision will not allow us to have vegetable gardens that can be seen from the street. They'd have a fit if livestock moved in. God forbid! But we have purchased 39 acres in KY and goats sound like a great addition to it when we retire. I think it's a great idea and about time that people started to tell the powers that be that we have a right to grow what we need to eat and for the fuddy duddies to keep their noses out of our business.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  07:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh, Nancy, 39 acres! What a dream! Lucky you. :)

I brought up the subject of the little goats to hubby and he is still dragging his heels. He wants to wait for more land. The waiting is what bugs me!

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  08:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Krissy, how much land do you have? nigerian dwarfs only get about 40-50 pounds. I have dogs bigger than that!!! hehehehehe I have a nigerian crossed with an angora and she has nice fiber too. I am hoping to breed her this fall to an angora and get more fiber babies!!! They are fun!!! A babydoll southdown sheep are small too. They are just as cute as can be too... Not as good for fiber but real cuties just the same.. They are a bit less rambunctious than goats too. but goats are fun. Just get one that was a bottle baby or get one you can bottle feed yourself. much nicer for a pet.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  6:56:32 PM  Show Profile
I saw at tractor supply today a premiere issue of "Urban Farm" magazine. looked interesting. They had a website.
www.urbanfarmonline.com Just thought someone might be interested...

Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  09:28:42 AM  Show Profile
I don't know the link but if you googled "Devries Family" you will see an amazing story of their property. I am just so inspiried by their site, please, anyone thinking of turning their yard into gardens look them up. You will be amazed!

Some People look for happiness, others create it!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  04:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Beverly, thanks for sharing that! Deb, thanks for fixing the link. I would have hated to miss that. I wish my yard looked that good! And Beverly, I saw the Urban Farm magazine, and think it'll be a good one for urban and suburban dwellers. Although I'm rural, I'll probably still keep up with the Urban Farm Magazine, just because it has some good ideas in it!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  8:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Rose,
I googled that last name but I did not find anything about a family with an urban backyard type of thing. could you maybe give us a link or website or something to help me out?

Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  1:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Years ago wren we lived in the city, we were unemployed for a period of 3 years. we dug up out beautiful flowers and planted veggies,interspersed with some annuals for color, put 3 hens to work in the backyard, it was really pretty, had lilacs along the entire back yard fence for privacy, vines would work great. no complaints from neighbors, and plenty of fresh food for us/ we also went fishing alot for food too. ate well.
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  1:54:07 PM  Show Profile
I bought Backyard Homestead and hope to use it this summer as a guide for using our property more efficiently.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  2:51:50 PM  Show Profile
To see the Dervais family urban garden in Pasadena, CA go to PathtoFreedom.com They are amazing folks and the two daughters are Farmgirls if I've ever seen one!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic A farm in urban america Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page