Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Who has started on their handmade Christmas gifts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Who has started on their handmade Christmas gifts? Next Topic
Page: of 3

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:08:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aunt boby

My MIL makes everyone in the family flannel pajamas every year. We get them on Christmas eve. Then on x-mas day we host a big breakfast at our house with everyone wearing there new pjs. It's a tradition we love!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous

Now THAT is something that puts a big smile on my face. ALL the memories those pictures must hold and the love from your MIL in making all the pajama's :)

Mom made me a lot of things growing up, dresses, skirts, sweaters etc. But don't think she even made me a PJ Would have loved one and that would have been a lovely tradition for us, lol. But it just being mom and me on Christmas most of my growing up years and later too, maybe she just didn't think about it. AND maybe it was because it is not the tradition here as well. Who knows but I do know mom and I always had a lovely Christmas together She did her best to make it is fun and nice as possible for us. Later when mom had the dementia it all went downhill. She didn't bother with prezzies or the tree. That was my doing then but mom just didn't like it anymore...ah well

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls,
Since i make soap and stuff, I've given that as gifts. It's a nice relief to not buying store bought junk. I've read some of the things you girls listed that you sew. I have no experience making hats, booties or gloves yet, though I intend on trying soon. Any suggestions on popular gifts to make that I can sew that's not too hard? I thought about making a 'lap blanket' as a gift. Ya know something to snuggle with while watching tv, reading a book, whatever. Do kids really like 'sewn' gifts?
thanks
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://site.naturemaiden.com/blog1/ (Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Edited by - naturemaiden on Aug 09 2009 6:23:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  9:56:48 PM  Show Profile
I've started on Christmas gifts for this year. So far I have one tree skirt made--to see if it was feasible to think about doing them in quantity--say, 4-6. It went together fast so I think it will work. I bought the flannel for the kiddies pj's and I'm ready to make those. We recently started the Christmas tradition of new pj's and knitted slippers. It was a big hit. My main focus each year is putting together family gift baskets. I try to stick with a theme. Some years it's easier than others. Last year was a Family Fun Night Basket: movies, cards and a game or two, popcorn and caramel corn, cocoa for the kids, wine for the adults....things like that.

This year they will all get an early family gift, around Thanksgiving I think, with a Christmas Tree skirt and some handmade ornaments(replicas of some my kids made when they were little) and an advent calendar that I will also make. The kids will get their pj's, slippers and a book each and I still have to work on the basket theme for this year.

Last year I made my husband a flannel shirt( at the last minute) out of some flannel my sister had given me. He loved it and immediately asked for more. I have the flannel for his already too, so I feel like I'm ahead.

Now that I read all of this it sounds like alot! But it's only August and I love to sew and quilt and knit. I'm getting a head start.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  02:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Connie...teens have always liked those fuzzy tied blankets from two pieces of fleece. Even my sons love theirs.

Marcia...love the family basket idea.

Toby...what a great tradition to remember! Flannel jammies at breakfast. Nice!

Another quick gift that I've found kids like are pillow cases. When my sons had a Tae Kwon Do tournament to go to one year, we went in a "caravan". I made "asian" inspired pillow cases for each of the kids going. The main fabric was black/red dragons. I was able to find a piece of gold/deep pink dragons for the only girl in the group as well. Those kids still have those. I made one of a colleague in bright red/white/blue colors who had spent over a year in Iraq in the Guard. I didn't know how much he thought about that goofy pillowcase until I read an article about him in the newspaper and he mentioned how it got him through many a rough day over there just having some "color" in the camp. He also said privately that when he would have a homesick soldier, sometime his pillow would get the stuffing hugged out of it! I've made them for different occasions, camping, a special vacation, the like. You can find all kinds of themed fabric out there. I've also made this little bag for friends and what not too. http://showyourworkings.wordpress.com/tutorials/ I've tweaked the pattern though to make it unique for different friends; adding pockets and what not; also I do the bottom just a bit different too. BUT the bag is quick and easy and uses just two fat quarters. You can also make it in cute themed fabric. It's a great size to take along yarn/pattern/needles for socks or mittens, or for garage sales, or even to the movies....when you don't want to haul your whole purse around.
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  03:00:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by StarMeadow

Connie...teens have always liked those fuzzy tied blankets from two pieces of fleece. Even my sons love theirs.

Marcia...love the family basket idea.

Toby...what a great tradition to remember! Flannel jammies at breakfast. Nice!

Another quick gift that I've found kids like are pillow cases. When my sons had a Tae Kwon Do tournament to go to one year, we went in a "caravan". I made "asian" inspired pillow cases for each of the kids going. The main fabric was black/red dragons. I was able to find a piece of gold/deep pink dragons for the only girl in the group as well. Those kids still have those. I made one of a colleague in bright red/white/blue colors who had spent over a year in Iraq in the Guard. I didn't know how much he thought about that goofy pillowcase until I read an article about him in the newspaper and he mentioned how it got him through many a rough day over there just having some "color" in the camp. He also said privately that when he would have a homesick soldier, sometime his pillow would get the stuffing hugged out of it! I've made them for different occasions, camping, a special vacation, the like. You can find all kinds of themed fabric out there. I've also made this little bag for friends and what not too. http://showyourworkings.wordpress.com/tutorials/ I've tweaked the pattern though to make it unique for different friends; adding pockets and what not; also I do the bottom just a bit different too. BUT the bag is quick and easy and uses just two fat quarters. You can also make it in cute themed fabric. It's a great size to take along yarn/pattern/needles for socks or mittens, or for garage sales, or even to the movies....when you don't want to haul your whole purse around.

thanks for the ideas
connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  06:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
T I'm all teared up reading your post. How strange it may seem to some of us that something so simple as a pillow can bring so much comfort to our men and women serving overseas. :)

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  06:50:12 AM  Show Profile
All of you tug at my heart strings!! I think of all the hours spent in creating a very special gift for someone to treasure. The pillow for the soldier hits home with me, my son is there now and we are always sending little things as we can to remind him he is loved and to give he and his unit comfort that others care. One thing that they all love it the goofy pictures I send. From wildlife to the sun rise over our mountains. . . they cannot get enough!!

We will have to start posting pictures of the handmade treasures we are creating for this holiday season! How fun to see what each of you have created.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  07:37:24 AM  Show Profile
I make polar fleece socks and kids/teens LOVE those. I made 30 pairs one year and wrapped them and gave each of my students in the alternative "school-within-a-school" a pair. They LOVED them! Every single kid ripped off their shoes and put their new socks on and played slip and slide on the linoleum. That was about 8 years ago. I ran into one of those students just the other day and he said he still has his socks.

I agree Joanna, we'll have to post some pics!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  07:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Kelly,
how do you make those socks? I want to make some.
connie

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  08:12:38 AM  Show Profile
LOL!! I can see the kids sliding in their new socks!! What a cool idea, did you use a commercial pattern?? I would love to make some of these for gifts this year.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  1:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Fleece socks sound like a great gift. Everyone loves fleece.
I'd be interested in making some if I can get a pattern.

I also make pillowcases. One year I made several Chicago Bears cases with coordinating edging and a third color for trim. I like making them because I can match the person with their favorite colors/theme and they are always a welcomed gift.

I've been making a few of the personal tissue holders for small "just thinking of you/thank you" gifts. I had made them a few years ago and have enjoyed making them again.

I'll be watching this for ideas as I'm always looking for gift ideas.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  1:46:50 PM  Show Profile
I make hand-made gifts for people too. One gift I think is nice for those who are going in the hospital is a small zippered case filled with pencil, nail file, lip soother, kleenex and note that says I am thinking of them. If I start early enough I make quilts, place mats, table runners or postcards for them to send made of old lace, buttons, trims, etc.

Bonnie Ellis in Minnesota bonnieellis@comcast.net

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  3:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Just a little side-topic:

Dutchy! Marian,
WILL YOU BE MY FAMILY?? Will you exchange Christmas gifts with me this year??? You are a sister to me!!

All I have is my little son, Danny boy, to make for and I don't get from anyone. I told Danny to pick out a pair of jammies on display and said it was from him, I'm not sure he understands, but we are trying.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Put on the apron of humility.
1 Peter 5:5
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  3:27:16 PM  Show Profile
I am so slow! I made scarves for some of the grandkids the past couple of years - my daughters' kids love getting these things but my stepson's children really don't like anything like that - "We don't want no clothes for Christmas". Then, again, I've tried instilling true Christmas in my kids. I wish I were more artsy-crafty and able to put things together easily so that they could all have something. I have a big plastic box full of quilting squares, but I'm not sure what to do with them. I know the granddaughters would love them! They're mostly pink and rose-y.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  5:37:48 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine made the fleece sock pattern, so it's not commercial. Let me see what I can come up with to try and post something so I can share the pattern. Email me if you want more details.

Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Linda, you are incredibly thoughtful.

KayB, I can see your lovely quilt squares made up into pillows for your granddaughters beds.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Maybe if your step-son's children "don't want no clothes", they'd rather have some cookies (or nothing)? I don't have a lot of patience for people who don't appreciate the thought that goes into gifts. It's not all about getting stuff! It's way more fun to give!

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  10:55:10 PM  Show Profile
LINDA!!! Oh my goodness, YES!! I have pm-d you. You made me smile through my tears reading this

Hugs from your new sister :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on Aug 10 2009 10:56:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  07:46:26 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE homemade gifts. I have a little Barbie dress that my great-great aunt crocheted. I loved that little thing so much! The snap came off but it is tucked away in a drawer and I take it out sometimes just to look at it. It makes me smile. I never really even knew her.

I usually make herbal bath products for gifts. Everyone appreciates cold and flu bath salts! I also make soap and bath bombs with knitted hemp scrubbies.

A couple of years after my grandmother passed away I made every one in my family a cake. This was a cake that my grandmother used to make on every special occasion. It wasn't difficult nor expensive but everyone loved it.

One year I made Santa Bread. I've done scarves also.

This year I have started knitting a simple sweater for my mom. If it goes well I will make one for each of my aunts and one for my closest friend. I am also making knitted hanging towels for the kitchen. I just made one for the first time recently and it comes in handy and everyone has commented on it.

I am going to knit blankets with sleeves for my boys if I can get away with it. I just don't know what to make for DH. He has tons of blankets and scarves. He saw a pattern for a WWII era sweater he liked but the pattern was too small for him and was on pretty small needles. I'm not so confident about that one and I don't think I have the time for it. I'm pretty slow. Maybe next year.

Tanna
Farmgirl #644
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  08:15:30 AM  Show Profile
Since my MIL is SuperWoman on the sewing machine she makes the nicest things. Along with the flannel pjs, all the grandkids got duffel bags one year. She took them shopping to pick out their fabric and made them all over night bags that they love! She also crochets dish rags and dish scrubbies in the colors of all the daughter's kitchens. And I have made the fleece tie blankets for gifts before. My nephew loved his Yankees blanket.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Rodeorise
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Rise
Brighton Mi
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow.
I was just thinking that I need to start on the Christmas gifts and I have gotten some great new ideas from all of you.
Last year I made most of my gifts and what I didn't make I bought on Etsy. Still handmade, just not by me.
Etsy is a great place to support other craftswomen and I always find things that I can't do myself there.
Gotta go and get back to the knitting
Michele

Farmgirls for Peace
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:20:34 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget aprons! We farmgirls take them for granted but most women today don't have them and they are thrilled! Last year I made my sisters full aprons for Christmas, and for my daughter's wedding last month I made several for her friends who helped or were in it, age range 20-40, everyone was surprised and thrilled! One girl is a nutrition major in college and she was so pleased, said she didn't have an apron...
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  1:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Aprons would be a great idea. I have been busy making these crocheted towel holders.

http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2009/01/crocheted-towel-holder-pattern.html

I cant actually read the pattern, so I am winging it. I am also using some of my old button stash on them. I got some beautiful towels at Costco to hang in them.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  1:46:48 PM  Show Profile
PJ's, throw blankets/quilts, rag dolls/animals, baskets with bath goodies, breakfast baskets, snack baskets, desert baskets. I pick-up jean jackets during the year at thrift stores/flea markets, and customize them for an induvidual

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  4:06:35 PM  Show Profile
How do you make the rag dolls?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Who has started on their handmade Christmas gifts? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page