Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Walmart's Girl Scout cookie knock-offs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Walmart's Girl Scout cookie knock-offs Next Topic
Page: of 2

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  05:36:44 AM  Show Profile
I think people will continue to buy GS cookies because of who it represents. I know I will. (I dont normally buy cookies any other time. Maybe Oreos on occasion for DD. Or bake my own.) I enjoy buying the GS ones because its a special treat only available once a year. But any other time I wouldn't pay that for cookies. I know it goes to a good cause so that makes it worthwhile. Though the GS dont make very much from the sale of those themselves, it still helps.

It will be interesting to see if Walmart will give a portion of the proceeds of their brand to the GS org. This would be a great help to the GS as well. I think the taste probably won't compare, so the GS won't have to worry much. But if they are good, it will be something for those to buy when the GS kind arent available.

By the way. Here's the websites to the GS cookie bakers there are 2. They also have some recipes on here to make w/the cookies. http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/ & also http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  06:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I just have to put my two cents in here, ya'll. So if you buy the cheaper store brand and it's not good and the chickens end up with it, are you really saving money? I would just buy the better brand and pay more and know it's going to get eaten by me and not the animals. It does not make sense to me. Sorry. I will go to other stores and pay more for a better product and feel good about it, too. The employees are nicer and will go to more trouble to help me when they are treated better and actually like to come to work.

I have not shopped at WM in several years now. But I will admit that Sunday I had my granddaughter with me. We went to church then had lunch then she wanted to go shopping. I told her I really didn't have much money so she informed me that Wm had shirts for $4. I gave in and we went and I swear I just wanted to run right back out again. I felt like a traitor. Really. I think I had a panic attack while I was there. And Chloe is not a fast shopper at all. I finally found an outfit apiece for each of the girls and we left. There was not anyone who worked there that ever smiled or said hello or thank you or anything while we were there. Not even the greeter. Nothing. So they got $33.00 of my hard earned money. And it was hard earned money. Lots of sweat in those bills!

And my hubby is a truck driver. He hauls lots of WM loads. I guess he would not have much to do if he didn't. So we are right there with all of America right now. I won't go back but my hubby brings the stores more stuff to put on the shelves. It's a strange situation. I hope I don't step on any toes. Sorry if I do. But I will go to Aldi's when I need to. I buy toilet paper there and the other day they were out of the Northern. The guy said the store brand is just as good. I said if they'd let me try it I might buy some. He went to the office and brought me a roll. Would WM do that? NO. I did try the tp and it's just too thin for me. But that was so nice and they want to keep people coming back there.

And my hubby loves GS cookies. I will not eat them anymore but do donate the money to them instead. And they very much appreciate that alot.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Aug 11 2009 06:39:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  07:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Just my 2 cents worth, and I promise I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers either....

Ok....It's easy to be sued by every tom, dick and harry when you are the #1 retailer in the WORLD!!!! People know there is money to be had and get "sue happy"...I have seen it done (had a very personal experience with friends of the family suing Walmart for something that walmart 100% was not involved in and had no part of!)but they still got sue, and still had to come up with settlement money.

Ok....I have an immediate family member who is a corporate for walmart...."walmart" themselves come up with very few of the "off" brand products you see on the shelves...the bigger comapnies, Keebler, Nabisco, Heartland, Proctor & Gamble...etc...are actually the companies manufacturing these products....then Walmart buys label rights from the companies...in turn...it is not JUST benefitting walmart...it is benefitting Nabisco, Heartland, etc... WalMart themselves DO NOT maufacture ANYTHING....they Distribute.

Another point....Walmart MATCHES the dollar amount of fundraisers held on their property...I have been on the recieving end of this....and had it not been for the fact that walmart matched the funds we raised, our "fundraiser" would not have done so well....Walmart also donates TONS of money every year to groups such as Childrens Miricle Network, Toys for Tots, Humane society...not to mention the local communities the stores are in...Walmart has also been "going Green" since before it was "cool" to Go Green.....

LOL.....don't get me wrong...I get plenty ticked off at Walmart...lol....alot these days to tell ya'll the truth....but at the same time...I believe they suffer from alot of undue critisim (?) Because they are in fact the LARGEST retailer in the entire world, but lets also keep in mind that they weren't always......you know, if we all wanted to get down to the knitty gritty....we could be shaking our heads at some other retailers that have done the same to the "MOM and POP" businesses....Look at what Lowes and Home Depot have done to the local lumber yards....AND nursuries....Look at what Tractor Supply has done to the local harware stores, Auto Zone and O'reilly's to the little old Auto parts houses, Golden Coral to the mom and pop dinners, Sports Clips and SuperCuts to the barber shops and hair salons....I think ya'll catch my drift...

In my personal opinion, alot of this all has to do with the Supply and Demand issues our nation has, I believe this walmart issue is just one itty bitty speck in a whole barrel full of specs that makes our country quite spoiled to " Get it now, Get it Cheap and Get it Fast"

Thank Goodness for every single one of us Farmgirls who want to slow down, not be involved in what seems to have become the worlds moto, and do things a little more "FarmGirly"......

FarmGirl Hugs and Smiles, Kelley

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  08:37:21 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, very, very well said, thank you

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I only buy GS cookies. I don't buy/keep cookies in my house for a very good reason - my hips and thighs! LOL! But once a year, when I see those cute little girls, all my resolve goes out the window and the thin mints come in!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:38:56 AM  Show Profile
I am a GS leader and of the $3.50 that is charged for cookies only $.70 goes to the troop. The Girl Scouts is a corporation just like Wal-Mart with a CEO with a huge paycheck. Very little support goes down to the individual troops but the girls are made to sell the cookies, candy and magazines in order to pay for this administration. You wouldn't believe the "training" that we have to do with the girls regarding cookie sales. It is supposed to teach them business skills, which is true I guess, you do all the work and someone in a higher position will reap all the rewards. The politics of the counsel is frustrating and the amount of paperwork and hoops you have to jump through to get any support is amazing. You know those cute little vests with all the badges, I figure for each stage those little vests cost the troop about $100.00 each. I wouldn't be surprised if the Girl Scouts are behind the knock offs and getting a portion.

This is my last year as a leader, I'll take my daughter and her friends camping, do crafts with them, teach them how to sew and milk a goat and we will make our own cookies and I won't make them beg door to door.

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, its good to see someone with an opinion from the otherside of Girlscouts

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:34:04 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, I think you pretty much summed our country up in just a few paragraphs. It is just a huge ripple that never ends, does it? It takes the very smallest people to get to their product to the big guys. You brought up a lot of great points I had not thought about. Thank you.

And you did, too, Lisa. Wow, I would not have thought that that happens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  03:27:19 AM  Show Profile
I guess that's what happens to a lot of organizations we give money toward.

Was very pleased to read thaat 100% of the Livestrong procedes go directly to the foundation.

Guess one can do that when they are a private member.

This is why I am reluctant to donate to most "charities".
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:46:44 AM  Show Profile
Lisa...I also did not know that about the girl scouts...you know....I wonder if it would be possible to start a MJF FarmGirl Scouts???...lol...

I mean, we, as adults participate and earn badges...wouldn't it be neat for our daughters, granddaughter and neices could be a part of it on a bigger level?...I'm just blabbering here, not trying to do away with the girl scouts or anything...

I know about the farmerettes, but maybe a group nationwide that is based around MaryJanes Simple Soultions For Everday Organic and Farmgirl ways of thinking.....Something a little less corporate organized...oh well...like I said, I'm just blabering..lol....I do alot of that...tee-hee!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Walmart's Girl Scout cookie knock-offs Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page