Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Walmart's Girl Scout cookie knock-offs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Walmart's Girl Scout cookie knock-offs Next Topic
Page: of 2

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile
I just read about this, and I must say it seems like a low blow. I don't shop at Walmart anyway, so I won't be buying any of these. I hope they don't take off. It would be really shameful to see the American public so eager for a bargain that we kill off the annual Girl Scout cookie sale. It's both a fundraiser for a good cause, and at the same time a tradition that I know many of us have fond memories of.

http://authenticorganizations.com/harquail/2009/08/03/wal-mart-knocks-off-the-girl-scouts/

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  12:40:09 PM  Show Profile
That is an atrocity. I already hate wal-mart and avoid it like the plague. This just gives me one more reason to keep avoiding them.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  12:40:43 PM  Show Profile
That is low. I was a Girl Guide leader in Canada for years (same sort of thing as American Girl Scouts) and the groups rely on cookie sales.

Wal-mart has gone to a new low.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  12:49:32 PM  Show Profile
I haven't shopped Walmart in 10 years or more....seriously...but I always wonder what brainiacs are at the head of marketing there... They push "American Values" by making you feel like you'll be more patriotic if you shop there, and fly flags throughout their commercials with silly "country" music songs, but they don't have one thing MADE in America in that stupid warehouse they call a "store".

So now this? Fabulous...direct competition with one of our truly American treasures!!! Idiots.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  1:52:29 PM  Show Profile
Keebler has made three well know "Girlscout knockoffs" for years with their PB Filled Fudge Shop, Grasshoppers(THIN MINTS) and Sandies Shortbread. So why is walmart so bad?

Walmart employs over 1.4 million americans. How would we feel if suddenly all of these jobs were lost?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  2:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Julie, that is a very good point. I don't care for Wal-Mart at all. But you are right, they do employ a lot of Americans and this is a free, capitalist country.

And I would venture to say that Wal-Mart selling knock-off Girl Scout cookies probably won't impact the Girl Scout sales very much because most people who buy Girl Scout cookies realize that it is a fund raiser and will continue to buy them from the Girl Scouts anyway. A good example of this is the Keebler cookies mentioned. Keebler has been marketing similar cookies for a very long time without negatively impacting the Girl Scout cookie sales.

And, if I'm honest with myself, it has never bothered me to buy generic brands which are just copies of name brands in order to save money. This situation, in reality, is not any different.

Still hate shopping at Wal-Mart.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  2:47:57 PM  Show Profile
I don't like Wmart either but it's about the only game in town for price. Right now, till I get back to work, I have to look at price first. I've tried going to other stores with their sales and coupons and, honestly, it's downright confusing. The coupons have expiration dates and then trying to keep up with all of them...wow. So, right now, it's Wmart or Kmart or the feed store or Home Depot. I love Albertson's meat but they are one store that does many coupons. The price comes out about the same but dealing with and keeping up with the coupons just ruins it. If they would just lower their prices, I'd be there in a NY minute all the time.

I wonder, do they contribute any of that money to the GS?? Does anyone know??

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  3:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I am sure some of you saw my post earlier about Walmart. I have not been back to Walmart since I made the post. I gave it some thought on the employment numbers that represent the working people of the stores. I think if the small mom and pop stores had not been ran out of business by Walmart the same amount of people would be employed. There was a town here in Texas that was on the small side that had a Walmart open up and then all the little stores went out of business. Then Walmart decided they weren't making enough money and shut their store down. Now the town doesn't really even exist because everyone moved out when there were no jobs available and no stores to shop at. I really don't think Walmart is a benefit to most areas,and I know firsthand that they do not treat their employees very good. I don't mean to step on toes and by all means its a free country and anyone should shop where they like, and I do like to look at all views and be informed. I just think Walmart has done more harm than good. I think having choices is a good thing and Walmart runs the other options out of town.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  3:40:37 PM  Show Profile
I heard about this too and thought it was a typical move by Walmart. I won't be buying any of these knock offs. As far as Keebler making knock offs, they used to bake the GS cookies and I think it was part of their agreement with the GS that they could make similar cookies or maybe it was the GS used already existing cookies that Keebler made? I know they are no longer the GS cookie baker and I've thought the cookies aren't as good as they were when Keebler baked them. I still buy them but only to support GS.

"On my honor I will strive to do the best for God and my country and obey the GS laws" Isn't that the GS pledge? (Former GS here!)

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  3:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Because of the economy, many families have NO CHOICE, but shop at the cheapest priced store in their area, which is usually Wal-Mart. I am not rich by any means, nor am I any where close to poverty, BUT, I do live on a fixed income since my husband passed, he worked off the farm/ranch most of the time as diesel mechanic. SO, I have no choice, but be frugal, and frugal means buying my sundries, paper goods and some other things from the most economical place, which means Wal-Mart. It may not be the perfect answer, but I have to do what works for me at this time.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  4:35:03 PM  Show Profile
I didn't mean to start an argument. I know why people dislike walmart. I do. But sometimes I think people forget some people are employed by them. I have several family members employed by walmart and it would be devistating if they list their jobs!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  4:38:55 PM  Show Profile
I agree Julie, I didn't mean to start one either. I totally understand why everyone has to do what they do. Times are rough right now. I think most of us would like a more simple, self-sufficient, kind world to live in. I certainly don't intend to ruffle any feathers.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  4:41:28 PM  Show Profile
None ruffled! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  5:17:45 PM  Show Profile
The employees have no say in the policies and sales decisions of a huge conglomerate like Walmart. The only thing I am grateful for in regard to that company is that they do provide so many jobs in thousands of communities around the country. I only wish they were still run with the same integrity that Sam Walton so painstakingly demanded while he ran the company. I can only imagine that poor old Sam is spinning in his grave.

Sue
Farmgirl #656

"This is the day that God made, let us drink juice and enjoy it!" - Reece Stutts, age 3
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  5:41:19 PM  Show Profile
I buy girlscout cookies every year and they usually stand in front of Wal-mart to sell them. I will always buy girlscout cookies and what-ever the school kids are selling I will buy. Because,It's for the kids & I can. Thank-God!!!

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile
None of mine ruffled either, everyone has a right to their opinion, and 10 differant opinions can still be right for them and others. I don't buy packaged cookies ever, not even girl scouts. I home make all of my own. I am sorry that this might hurt the girl scouts, and I DO beleive that Wal-Mart is wrong, but as I said, I have no choice, inorder to make my money last. I have always agreed to disagree about somethings, and I leave it at that.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  03:29:28 AM  Show Profile
Anything to make a buck.

that's sad

Did you know Keebler makes a thin mint cookie called Grasshoppers?

Not sure if these are still on the shelves

I'll still buy the Girl Scout ones simply b/c it IS a fund raiser and the cookies are really good. You can duplicate but there's always going to be something missing
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  06:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Ah! the Keebler cookies things is news to me because I don't even go down that aisle at the market. My husband only eats those "two for a buck" iced oatmeal and almond windmill cookies...or ones I make myself :)

"....Walmart employs over 1.4 million americans. How would we feel if suddenly all of these jobs were lost?" I completely understand, Julie, but having been on the end of legal transcripts and listening to testimony, I really, really despise them---girlscout cookie knockoffs or no. I truly wish people didn't HAVE to work for them.

I've mentioned it before when someone posted about Walmart--they may employ many people, but they are one of the largest offenders of unfair employment practices. They are currently settling a very large lawsuit in which they have been fined severely for unfair employment practices. We've sued them countless times here, in our little office! I can only imagine how many other lawfirms have! It's a totally different animal than when Mr. Walton was living. Employing people is good, treating people who work for you like dirt, not so good.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Aug 06 2009 06:22:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  08:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
That's pretty low, but I doubt they'll be the same! :)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  09:25:48 AM  Show Profile
I know Walmart has the right to compete in the marketplace...but competing with a little girls' fundraiser just seems outrageous. In all fairness to them, though, I don't know for sure if they are actually marketing the cookies as "bargain Girl Scout favorites" or if they just happen to be similar cookies. I got the impression from the article that they were actively going after the people who love Girl Scout cookies and don't want to pay Girl Scout prices. It's those kind of shoppers who would really be the meanies. Can you imagine going to someone's door (I know, I know, nobody does that in this day and age) and being told "Beat it, kid, I can get the same cookies for less at Walmart"?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  11:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't necessarily think it will be much competition- I mean Keebler has made Grasshoppers and chocolate covered peanut butter cookies for years. My niece is in the scouts and I will still buy cookies from her to support her fundraising. I think it will all be fine. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Sam Walton is rolling in his grave watching his heirs do what they do. Did they really need to steal an American tradition like Girl Scout Cookies? Maybe if Girl Scouts sold them year round then Walmart wouldn't have bitten into the "Girl Scout cookie market"...I quit shopping at Walmart about a year ago, and I don't miss them at all....

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  03:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Here's another thing too.

Last year I bought 3 boxes of cookies from some little girls standing outside Wal Mart with their moms. It was kind of funny to see them all jockeying to get our attention, take our money and deliver the cookies.

The smiles and thank yous were endearing enough to leave an obvious lasting impression.

Even if box prices rose to 5.oo I'd still at least buy 1 or 2. If for nothing else, to see the smiling faces and hear the cheerful thank yous.

Stuff you will never see or hear in Wal Mart for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  05:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Wal8mart employs a lot of people but it also likes to keep folks at part-time status to avoid having to give benefits, it comes into towns and undersells the local stores - many of which go out of business as a result. And it's "business model" is to buy the cheapest chinese made crap it can - when it started it prided itself on buying American. Now there isn't anything made in America on its shelves. The price you pay for an object bought there may be lower, unfortunately the sticker is NOT the whole cost. The loss of local companies, the drain on local health resources, the loss of American manufacturing jobs - THOSE are all part of the "bargain" you get for shopping at Wal*mart. I wish people would recognize that and stop spending their hard earned cash there.

Farmgirl Sister #661

chickens clucking, bees buzzing, flowers blooming, all is good!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  04:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Just a thought way before cookie time... If you can't afford the GS cookies, please feel free to donate a dollar or two directly to the girls standing there selling. As a booth-sitting cookie mom (my daughter sold over 650 boxes this past season), I can tell you the single dollar you donate is WAY more than the girls/ troops will get from selling a box (though they do get "prizes" at different levels of sales) and it will be greatly appreciated!

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  03:38:22 AM  Show Profile
sorry to admit I shop fpr groveries at Wal Mart. I tried really at one of the smaller "nicer" grocers and it just about broke the bank.

Bought one of the Wal MArt frozen pizzas for the other night. And lemme tell ya, if the new GS cookie knock off tasted anyting like this pizza, the little girls will have nothing to worry about.

I believe a re-wickering has gone on, and a few cuts have made the store brands a little less tasty. The pizzas we used to get were actually pretty tasty. The rest of thisone went to the chickens.

And I also niticed how my checker lady wasn't in the best of moods.

Poor thing

And when I do have $$ and gas, I do PREFER to shop at the Kroger near my parents and of course Trader Joe.

So sad to say, some of us are kind of forced to shop where its cheaper and convenient. It's a gotcha for sure
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Walmart's Girl Scout cookie knock-offs Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page