Page: of 2

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  7:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message

I am Susan, married to Jerry for 27+ years. We have 6 children ages 26, 24, 23, 16, 12 and 8 (3 boys and 3 girls). We have 3 cats, Seamus, an 2 year old neutered black kitty, Moe a year old neutered tabby and a newly found (he found us) Ling, Siamese mix who is gorgeous and very loving. I am probably sharing way more than you want but might as well show my cards from the get go.

Often times when I meet people and they find out I am a stay at home, work at home (I own Dahlem's Soapworks), wife, mother and homekeeper, gardener, they assume many things about me and find most of the time they have been wrong or only partially right. I am right where I am supposed to be. I go to bed every night knowing that the work I have been doing for the past 27+ years has been as important or more important than anything anyone else has done. And I take it very seriously.

We live in beautiful but hot NW Louisiana on 5 acres at the end of a dirt road. We love playing in the dirt and have raised beds for veggies and herbs and a fairly large corn/pumpkin patch. Hubby is into landscaping as well as gardening.

Our home is called Rose Cottage - and it is just that a cottage. Small but homey. With massive pink roses on almost every inch of the fence that surrounds the yard with arbors over the gates. It is a sight to behold in the Spring.

Hubby works for an energy company, I have a soap business, 3 of our children are grown and gone from home (one is married), and we homeschooled them and are homeschooling the younger three. Can't imagine doing anything else. The older three turned out okay~all are productive citizens and no one has a criminal record so...we will just keep on keepin' on. And we have one grandson Sam who is a year old.

Now in closing, a few things we live by...bloom where you are planted, be the first to forgive, learn to apologize without saying "but", never go to sleep mad, make love ~ not war, don't judge, practice tolerance, don't argue about religion or politics for they are too personal to be right or wrong, learn what it means to be a friend and then be one, open your home, don't hit others, trust but don't be gullable ~ if something looks too good to be true it probably is, plant a little garden, take a nap every day whether you think you need it or not, never drink that first cup of freshly ground coffee unless you can continue to do so, learn to make bread, make your home a sanctuary (everyone needs one), read at least one book a month just for pleasure, be a giver not a taker, a lover not a fighter and a creator not a destroyer. Never break your spouse’s or your child’s spirit. DO NOT NAG anyone. And never look at another’s life and think it is better than yours ~ you never know what goes on behind closed doors. Be loveable. Be loyal to your spouse and your children above everyone else and do not complain about them for you never know what tomorrow brings or takes away. Learn early in life that the world does not revolve around you or because of you. Make up your mind you are going to be happy and then do it.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener, FarmGirl at Heart
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.

Edited by - TheSoapMaven on Jan 09 2005 10:36:58 AM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  10:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow...you are going to fit right in here!!!! Welcome welcome welcome!!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  07:08:33 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Susan! Sounds like you have a full and productive life! I would love to hear about the kinds of soap you make and how? There are a lot on this forum with the same interests and outlooks as yourself. The pink roses sound breathtaking. Glad you found us!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  07:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the welcomes. I make cold processed soaps. You are welcome to visit the link to my website. I think it is in the top part of my introduction -that little icon with the house. I think I am going to love it here. I am up to my elbows in granola today...part of my business is also catering...left that out! How I forgot that I will never know. It is sort of a separate business that my daughters and I run together. It is called Kneadful Things. Right now it is linked to my soap site but soon will have it's own place on the web.

Again, thanks for the welcomes and glad to be here.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Yetta to Sam

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  07:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Susan, Your website is fabulous!!! Is your shop in your hometown or near your home? It is precious. The presentation of your products just adds to the charm. And all natural and healthy! What inspired you to make soap? Did you mother, grandmother teach you? The shop and products seem to have a French influence. I have never been fortunate to visit Louisiana but I know it is beautiful. My sister in law lived in New Orleans for 10 years. Her pictures and stories were fascinating! Just a quick question... What breed of pink rose do you grow? I have a small fenced garden and arbours of antique roses. I have a few pink varieties. They bloom just once in the spring and put on quite a show. Thanks for sharing with us!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  08:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
You are TOO kind. Actually my 12 yo daughter does the majority of my website. My shoppe is in my home. It is about to become the busy time of the year! Actually granola & soap business is busy all year. But holiday baking is about to get into full swing. Many of my confections and "mailables" will be on the website by first of November - I hope!!! Of course there are lulls but I have been doing it a while. My granny taught me to make soap 20 or so years ago. I didn't really "get into it" until after she passed and I was going thru her cookbook and found her recipe for soap. The one she taught me with. Of course what I make now isn't that recipe...I developed my own over the years. I have been seriously making soap for about 17 years but just started selling it about 5 years ago...and the business grew from one shop owner who I was delivering bread to asking me what I had done all day...I said well, baked your bread and made a batch of soap...and we were off and running...she squealed "You make soap!!!" She started carrying it in her shoppe and it went from there.

Oh, I have to add that my husband built my shoppe and did a beautiful job. I just have to get ready for the holidays now. I have been down for over a month with a torn bicep in my left arm and I am BEHIND to say the least. I will catch up though probably by mid week.

I already love this place...I love what it stands for. Blessings to all!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  08:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
OOOOOpppps forgot the question - roses are wild and Jackson Perkins ---I forget the name I will looki it up and get back to you on the particular climber!! I don't know if it is where we live, the roses are my husbands dept...but our wild ones bloom twice a year. And are breathtaking!

Also to add: I have a brother that lives in N.O. Not my cup of tea but he loves it. Lives on Rue Toulouse in the French Quarter.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Edited by - TheSoapMaven on Oct 24 2004 08:25:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Susan!

I love your wise words to live by and your commitment to a natural life; I'm also a homeschooling mom of (almost) 6 but my kiddos are 11, 10, 5, 4, 2, and soon-to-be-born. All are girls but my 4yo, but he seems able to hold his own around here!

I look forward to your posts and I'm off to visit your website!
Go to Top of Page

deaf-huntress
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Magi
Kendrick ID
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  4:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Susan,
Your website is lovely. You sound so much like the rest of us farmgirls. I homeschool my 8 wee ones too! Also, some are not so "wee" anymore. Mine are 5,7,10,11,12,13,16 and 17. All adopted!!!
Your philosophy on life is a warm breeze on the spirit!
Magi

It's not what you hear, but how carefully you listen.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2004 :  11:12:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Soapy Susan!( Sorry I'm in a goofy mood...) Just checked out your website and it is lovely! How nice that you can share this business with your family! That soap looks good enough to eat!It looks as if your business is about to take off. The roses already have,they are gorgeous!
As for your intro and comments elsewhere...no need to apologize. Your philosophy is one alot of us share. We welcome and are thrilled that you are a person who knows your own mind, is taking her own path and is cherishing the life you are creating for you and your family. Welcome! We are all of like minds here and you will find they are funny,interesting, caring and sharing. Grab a cup of something good to drink and join us! Bramble

PS...I've got family in St. Bernard, came to NO for my brother's wedding and was once stranded in the literal center of the Lake Poncitrain bridge, that is my exceedingly limited knowledge of Louisiana! I enjoyed every minute!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2004 :  7:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Here is my welcome to you also Susan. I too love your webb site! One of the hats that I am wearing now besides my mini-farm and upholstery business is making 100% organic soywax candles fragranced with botanical oils for a woderful couple who have a business called J.P. Durga. They have a line of Shampoos, lotions.etc plus soaps and candles that are all as close to organic as possible and use no petrolium based products. They have a Webb site too www.JPDURGA.com.
Today we discussed them teaching me how to make thier signiture soaps. I am excited about it. Do you have a large market for your granola? Sell to co-ops or just locally? I have a great granola recipe that I have been making for over 20 years now but never thought of trying to sell? The creative people on this web forum are amazing, you included.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2004 :  07:44:43 AM  Show Profile
What a great site Susan and welocome aboard. You'll fit right in!! I can't wait to place an order. I signed up for your e-mails.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  5:12:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan and all,
I have just had a very interresting conversation with my local hardware store manager. I went to purchase a box of Red Devil lye so I could try my first batch of soap making from an old recipe of my mother-in-laws. He informed me that he is not allowed to stock it anymore but can special order it for me if I promise him I have no intention of making meth amphetamines with it! I had no idea. He told me that the local law inforcement came by the store and gave him a list of things he cannot have out for sale anymore due to the fact that they are used in this illegal activity. Anybody else heard of this?
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  5:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
No problems here so far. I buy it a couple of cases at the time...the grocery orders it for me. They haven't said anything about it being a problem. Who know though. I haven't bought in a few months. I know you can't buy more than 1 box of Sudafed at the time in WalMart!!! Evidently you can do something besides unstop your nose with it!!!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  9:57:00 PM  Show Profile
When I buy my lye for somemaking at a soapmakers "supply" place up north I have to sign a paper saying I won't do anything but make soap with it, and that I will be safe with it around children. Well, Duh..but I guess thats the sort of world we live in now. I never knew that meth was what people do with it. I couldn't imagine...
Susan..I love your children's names.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  02:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Good morning! Sorry I have been scarce but we have suffered a family crisis and I could use some prayers, good thoughts if you have a moment. My dad has suffered a stroke and his kidney's have failed and he is in the hospital and on dialysis. Things looked very grim until yesterday when he showed some signs of being more alert. His doctors are very concerned because his is also a heart patient and has had to drop all his meds due to the dialysis. Just to let you know what shape he is in: he's an amputee (left leg off above the knee for 37 years), both rotator cuffs (shoulders) are out and his shoulders are out of socket, actually there just isn't much socket left due to walking on crutches for 37 years, has had 4 heart attacks - his first at 43, 2 open heart surgeries and received a pacemaker 2 years ago...the list is long. My mom is 74 and bearing up pretty good under the circumstances. I will let you all know how things progress. We were pretty hopeless day before yesterday but with his improvement so our spirits. But he may have to go to a rehab center or extended care facility for a while, provided he pulls through all this. I tell you, he is a tough one. Lesser men would have already died. His doctor who has been his dr for 45 years told him 2 months ago he had been on borrowed time for 15 years. So his passing is always in the back of my mind, just not ready for it. Guess you can't really get ready for that.

These changes will alter my life as well no doubt because I am the closest child. I have two younger brothers but I live across and down the road from them.

Just thought I better let you know I haven't abandoned you all...just no computer time at all. I love this place and hope to someday be more active.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  05:19:24 AM  Show Profile
Dear Susan, I will lift your father up in my thoughts and prayers, as well as you and your family. My Dad is 80 and wow is he dear and precious to me... Fathers and daughters seem to have a special bond and I know this must be a painful time for you...keep a light heart dear and we are all here for you.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  11:33:53 AM  Show Profile
I will for sure keep you in my prayers. I have been there!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  12:13:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking of you too, Susan. My Dad has been 'on the other side' for 13 years now, come next month and I still miss him. Fathers and daughters do seem to have a special bond. It's not easy to deal with the health issues, I know.. my Dad did for 10+ years and two open heart surgeries and other complications. But I think in the end, he was ready. He knew he had led a fulfilling life and was ready for the next step. The hardest part is for us, those remaining, to accept this as good and right and another fulfilling step.
Take care of yourself too, Susan. It's easy to be totally wrapped up in the situation at hand and the next thing you know, you collapse with exhaustion. Sending you lots of light...

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  1:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Dear Susan - I will pray for your father and your family. I lost my dad as a teen and I still miss him. I hope that your dad can improve and you all can be together for a while longer! You are so fortunate to have a father you love and who loves you - what a gift! So many do not know that kind of love.

Just today I was reading MJF's magazine and a story she tells of how her father used to clean her fingernails with his pocketknife during church on Sunday mornings. She would give him her hands, one at a time, and he would gently clean her nails. That father/daughter story touched me deeply. May you think back and remember a time when you and your dad shared a moment like that.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 08 2004 4:46:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  1:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Susan,
What more can I send than to join with all of these wonderful people in sending you love, light and strength to be in the here and now and strenght to go through to the tomorrow as well as the very wonderful memories that keep us connected to those we love.
My father has been on the other side now for 5 years. I still get visits from him in my dreams. Always when I need courage and encouragement.
Sending you light and peace. Eileen

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  03:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Just a note to let you know my father passed peacefully November 17th at around 2:30pm surrounded by his family. He fought the good fight but his body was just too weak to recover. Thank you all for your concern and prayers. My mom is doing fairly well. She spent her first night alone last night and I am anxious to talk to her when she is up. My girls had been going over and sleeping at her house but all of them have colds right now and as much as they want to help their grandmother, they want to be home when they feel ill. Thankfully my parent's place is just across the road from us.

Hold those you love close this holiday season. Blessings to each of you.

Susan

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  06:17:32 AM  Show Profile
Dearest Susan, Your father touched many lives...and he went on his next journey wrapped in so much love...Your words about him inspired me, I gave my dad an extra hug and kisses and told him how much I loved him Thanksgiving day. Just know that I care for you and tears are flowing right now. God Bless and be safe and strong in His love...Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  09:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Susan-- Please know that you and your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as you adjust to the loss of your father. May you find comfort in the arms of your family, peace in knowing the long strugggle for your Dad is done and joy in the memories of all that you shared with him. Please take good care of yourself and
know that I wish you kindness,compassion and healing. Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  3:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Susan,
Sending you warm thoughts to wrap up in. Comforting words to hold on to. And light to see in the dark. So sorry and full of sympathy for your loss. Thankyou for keeping us up to date on the process.
Lifting you and your family up in prayers and sending healing thoughts so the colds go away soon.Your mom needs the comfort of those great children right now and the illness needs to vanish so asking for a miracle now.
I go for surgery on Monday the 6th of december to replace my left knee so will also need the prayers of my family and friends for healing. It is a long process.
God wrap you in loving arms of comfort now.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2004 :  10:00:33 PM  Show Profile
((((Susan))))

I am sorry for your loss. I know you will miss him, as will your family. How wonderful that you are not only close emotionally, but physically to your mother at this time, and that you and your children can take comfort in the memories that you have built in your lifetimes. I wish you peace and comfort, healing and hope.

Nikki
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New Here!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page