Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Starting to get a few ripe tomatos!! Yeehaw!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Starting to get a few ripe tomatos!! Yeehaw! Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  7:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Trouble is, I can't wait to put them in a salad so they usually just get 'et' right on the spot. I figgered out that I need to chow down just a day or so before they are truly ripe, otherwise they are a bit mushy inside.

Have 9 plants of all types. Some of the plants and 'maters are so big they just hang over, keep breaking the trellis things we put in. Found 'maters on the ground even.

Still, the best tasting!!

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  8:23:02 PM  Show Profile
Winona:
Enjoy those tomatoes. Our tomatoes are finishing. My DH pulled two of the ten plants out today. They were all dried up, but they were super good in the salads.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

mom2my2boyz
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Sarah
MN
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  8:34:28 PM  Show Profile
Mine are coming, too! Just tonight we enjoyed BLT's on homemade bread with homegrown "Lemon Boy" and "Black Prince" tomatoes, and garden-fresh lettuce! YUM! Nothing like a tomato fresh out of the garden, still warm from the sun!!!

"So I threw my hands in the air. I was done with Wal-Mart and Wonderbread. I wanted something real."
-Excerpted from Jenna Woginrich's book, "Made from Scratch" a must-read!
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  05:27:24 AM  Show Profile
I think I have a Lemon Boy, not sure. Hubby planted some of the plants and tossed the little signs so we're not sure what they are. Just yellow...hehehe...

The Early girls have been going a while and the Roma's are sure coming around quickly. The others a going in fits and starts.

Yep, I love to spot a bit of red amongst the leaves or some real yellow and then either eat on the spot or slice up with sea salt and pepper...yummy!!

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  05:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
It's yummy here in Kentucky, too, Winona. I'm finally getting a few myself. Been eating tomato sandwiches at work and in stuffed green peppers(from the garden,too). We've had so much rain the poor tomatoes seem to stay green forever. :(

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  06:33:03 AM  Show Profile

Yes, my tomatoes are just getting their coor....hoooray. Nothing I like better then a nice tomato sandwich......well actually I love a fried egg sandwich a little better

Beverly
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  06:49:25 AM  Show Profile
>> << Yup - there is nothing more enjoyable than fresh 'maters from the garden!! -- Noah's been really good about pickin' the green ones from our plants..they too have the tendancy to pull the vines down toward the ground, even tho we have 'em on supports.

I made up some fresh salsa last night to have with flour tortillas...Weee!! Yummy, an' since the batch is in the fridge, tonight it'll even taste better!! Yum!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  08:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Color...I meant color.

I just went and picked a few...the cherry tomatoes are ready the others I will put in a paper bag for another 2days.

Have fun gals...today I have a lot of sawing to do---not exactly my idea of fun....oh well.

Beverly
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  8:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Mine are still green! I grew them from seed and they are organic, so it takes awhile. I am getting impatient for that first ripe one though!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Starting to get a few ripe tomatos!! Yeehaw! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page