Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic Do you grind your own coffee Next Topic  

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  06:00:47 AM  Show Profile
I love coffee and so my sister gave me an electric coffee grinder for Christmas . I love the fresh coffee but hate the mess it makes when you are trying to get the coffee grounds out of the ginder because it sticks to the sides and bottom. I always make a mess. The other day by accident I found a way for the coffee not to stick. Use frozen beans! I usually store some of my coffee beans in a canister on the counter and the rest it the frezzer the other day i ran out and got some out of the freezer and ground them up they didn't stick! I have done it every day since and no more mess!
Maybe others already know this but it you didn't I thought I would share.

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile
Good tip! I've always had that problem too and quit grinding beans because of it. Now I'll have to start again. I'm a total coffee snob so love having the good stuff and grinding my own beans.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  10:10:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! I grind my coffee everyday. I have just a small electric inexpensive Mr. Coffee grinder that after you grind the beans, you can pick up the whole grinder in your hand, take the lid off, and then just tap the sides while emptying into your coffee maker. No mess! Been doing it for a number of years now. I have also made it a point to also start buying "Fair Traded" coffee. Yes, I pay more for it, but it's grown by small family farmers trying to make a living and they usually plant near the edge of the forests vs. large companies that cut down the rain forests. Unfortunately, they have to charge a little more so that these coffee "farmers" can make a living. So it's worth it! Enjoy your hot brew!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  6:15:40 PM  Show Profile
When we have coffee beans to grind, some go into the grinder but the rest stay in the plastic bag and are put into the refrigerator to help keep them fresh. I have a Mr. Coffee grinder where the ground up beans go down and come out the front into a small plastic cup and I've had never had a problem with them sticking to it. I'm glad you've found a way to make the job easier - love that fresh ground coffee perfume wafting thru the house in the morning.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  9:26:10 PM  Show Profile
I got Fair Trade coffee at the Food Co-op for less than the expensive stuff at the regular grocery. That was a very pleasant surprise. I also buy it at Trader Joe's since I don't get to the co-op much. It's more there but that's ok.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Feb 27 2006 9:27:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  04:46:39 AM  Show Profile
I used to keep my coffee in the freezer or refrigerator too, but recently read an insert from my favorite Kona coffee supplier that this is not good. I can't for the life of me remember their explanation, but it made sense at the time, so I changed my coffee keeping habit. I grind my own beans, and just wipe out the grinder with a paper towel. Beans are stored in the pantry, the same way my parents did it when I was a kid.

Here's a link to the coffee I buy: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000E6I02/sr=1-5/qid=1141130200/ref=sr_1_5/103-3495972-9377456?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=10410591&s=gourmet-food&v=glance

It's incredibly delicous, very low acid, and smooth! But at $34 a pound for their regular stuff, and $58 for their premium, I can't imagine they'd advise me to do something that would interfere with it's flavor.

Trader Joe's has a nice 100% Kona for about $20 a pound, too; but I can get to the mailbox easier than I can get to a Trader Joe's.

Anybody read about storage on coffee sites?

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  08:30:32 AM  Show Profile
I grind my beans daily. Coffee doesnt taste the same anymore if I have some not grouned fresh. I have an electric & a hand crank, use the hand crank most times. Love it. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  11:50:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm a bean grinder too! Only way to go for good flavor. Mary Anne is right, you shouldn't put your beans in the freezer or fridge, tapping the sides befroe you open it works well. And the oilier, the better. If the beans look dry, they aren't fresh.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  1:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Maybe It is just the way my grinder is built but tapping turninng upside down no matter what I do every thing under the level of the blade 1/3 " stays there until I scrape it out. So my coffee must be really fresh. I can freeze it over night and grind it and it all comes out easily. I put mine in the freezer because on the bag of beans it said to. We use it up quickly either way.

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  10:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Our grinder has a little built in brush my husband uses to, well, brush it out. My understanding is that freezing coffee beans is bad bad bad. I've read everything from it breaks down the oils to it creates condensation which the porous beans then absorb. All I know is that my husband makes the best cup of coffee in the world and he has a strict rule about not freezing the beans.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2006 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello, I grind my coffee everyday with my grandfathers antique wall hung hand grinder. Then I perk it the old fashion way on the stove just the way he did years ago. The hand crank noise wakes my household and the smell of perking coffee gets them moving. My friends and co-workers thought I was nuts untill they tasted the full flavor of fresh ground and perked coffee. It also brings me back to my childhood and spending time with Grandma and Grandpa.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  8:39:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm a coffee snob...but it's only cause I love it so much, really. I grind my coffee right before brewing it. I also use a French press, you get the most flavor from the beans. Yum!
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  5:14:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, definitly a grinder! We use Peet's coffee religiously, but I'm going to have to experiment with leaving it out of the freezer. I'd heard that was bad, but we always have done it. I guess I should buy smaller amounts and keep it in the pantry. Just buy it more often.

We had the same problem with grinding - a huge mess! I had a coffee brush for a while and that works great. Haven't seen it for years, though. For Christmas, some friends gave us a Cuisnart grinder and I love it! No static! We tap the sides and the grounds come out neat and clean! It's wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  2:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I can understand your enthusiasm for your coffee, and your desire to make it the very best. I raise my cup to you! I don't know if you've heard, though, that the French press method leaves carcinogens in your brew. It was in the news a few years back; apparently this little nasty chemical present in coffee was trapped and removed by the filter papers, and the French press method let them get past. If you know about this and choose to use a French press anyhow, that's certainly your business; but I thought if you hadn't heard this I'd give you a heads up.

Also, after reading around on some different coffee sites, the thing they're saying about cold being bad comes from the way the coffee gets dessicated. Apparently it happens pretty fast, and you get some crummy dried out beans.
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  4:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, part of the reason I switched over from drip coffee is because the paper filters have chemical residues. Thus, I drink organic free trade espresso and french press coffee. I think, if there is a risk, it is minimal and I am willing to take the risk. But thanks anyway for the info.

Edited by - Krisathome on Mar 26 2006 4:47:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  2:51:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by garliclady

Maybe It is just the way my grinder is built but tapping turninng upside down no matter what I do every thing under the level of the blade 1/3 " stays there until I scrape it out.

The problem is maybe grinding too long...
Do you grind in pulses with a shake between, or all in one without shaking?
Try the shaking to distribute the beans and get them all ground without the 'dust' at the bottom. (I just read about this on www.americastestkitchen.com )

To prevent the grinds from flying around after grinding, let them sit for a moment to release the static charge they get from being ground. It won't take too long, I just grind first, then prep my filter, then empty grounds...95% of the time it works just fine.

Happy Brewing!
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  6:37:21 PM  Show Profile
I like to buy fair trade coffee to. But we do have a little coffee roaster her in Olympia called Batdorf & Bronson. they have very delicious coffee.
I also read not to put coffee in the freezer or fridg. but cant remeber what the reason was either.

W Nothing better than the smell of coffee,bacon& eggs when your camping, yup it all smells soooooo good. used to cook it just for the smell. ROFL
shirley
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  07:11:08 AM  Show Profile
We grind our own coffee as well.......I bought hubby a nicer gridner from Starbucks even, and I too like it better than our cheap one (even though it worked fine). Coffee actually keeps longer/fresher in the freezer anyhow.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  08:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
We grind our coffee everyday with an old Crystal No. 3 hand crank that was pasted down from my grandfather. Then we perk it the old fashion way on the stove or wood fire. It's dark and strong. We try to buy free trade coffee but have found a small market that sells wonderful whole bean coffees that we have a hard time passing up. Most or I should say all our friends and family think we are nuts but the wait to have a good cup of Java is worth it. I guess you would say we are coffee snobs 2.

3 Blue Start Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  09:29:31 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Terre

you can pick up the whole grinder in your hand, take the lid off, and then just tap the sides while emptying into your coffee maker.

Yep, that's what I do, too, sort of. I take the whole thing with the lid still on, turn it over, and give it a few thunks on the countertop before righting it and dumping the grounds into the filter. I thunk again afterwards to remove major clinging grounds.

I imagine it would be a good idea to "grind" a little corn meal once in a while, sort of like sand-blasting. Anyone ever tried that?

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  09:48:28 AM  Show Profile
I don't drink coffee very often but my husband sure does. When we were dating I bought him a small wooden (German I think) hand crank that worked wonders. Somewhere through the years it got lost so now we have a small Krups electric grinder. I think the not freezing bean thing is that the beans get freezer burnt and taste somewhat more bitter. If you use them quickly I don't think that you will notice unless you are highly attuned! You can buy coffee filters that aren't bleached and are organic. We had a french press and the guys all loved the coffee it made but it broke and I haven't replaced it yet. I have an old ceramic grinder that hangs on the wall with a little collection drawer underneath. Not nearly enough for coffee, but works great for herbs!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:28:20 AM  Show Profile
To clean out the grinder, wipe it out with a piece of soft bread. It acts like a sponge and picks up all the little grains.

I much prefer freshly-ground but my Shelties go ballistic at the sound of the grinder, so most days I settle for pre-ground coffee to keep the peace.
Go to Top of Page

SimsMorey
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Mary
Toronto Ontario
Canada
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  08:54:14 AM  Show Profile
Hello, we use a hand powered grinder. The grinding parts are metal and built within a little wooden box with a little wooden tray at the bottom to collect the grinds. It is easy to use, not messy, and uses no hydro (since it is human powered). Less carbon emmissions (from hydro plants). You can still buy these wooden hand crank coffee grinders at most kitchen stores or coffee stores. And they are not very expensive. Also, with no plastic parts there is no static. Sometimes I think the kitchen stores invent all these electric gizmos not to necessarily make our lives easier, but to get us to spend more money. I'd love to have one of those old wall mounted units that Betty Jo has! I've seen them in antique stores, maybe I'll pick one up someday.

I too, pray for our troops to come home safe and soon!
thanks,
Mary

"Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth."

-Jean-Luc Danneyrolles
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  06:39:12 AM  Show Profile
I grind my coffee, and I always grind enough to last me one week. I love fresh ground coffee, I won't go back to the pre-ground stuff!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  1:31:42 PM  Show Profile
We used to have one of those nice krups grinders, but my husband decided to put walnuts in it (in their shells), and while I really enjoy the sound and smell of ground coffee, I just don't drink it enough to home to justify buying another one. Also, I figure he'd just do it again

Horseyrider said "I used to keep my coffee in the freezer or refrigerator too, but recently read an insert from my favorite Kona coffee supplier that this is not good. I can't for the life of me remember their explanation, but it made sense at the time, so I changed my coffee keeping habit."..

Could be because of what happened to me this am when I opened the refrigerator and knocked the coffee container (and ALL of the ground coffee)on the floor!!!! I kept trying to sweep it up and my lab, Elie was licking as fast as I was sweeping--I'm sure he's bouncing off the walls still!!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Do you grind your own coffee Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page