SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile
My 4 year old has a jersey woolly bunny which she loves. . .it's almost 2 yrs old, but we've only had him for almost a year. Well, she came in and said "Loper's molting!! but instead of feathers, it's fur!" So I checked on him and he is losing like all of his long fluffy fur and just had short ones--looks very patchy and weird. Is this a normal shedding process? We are really inexperienced with rabbits, so just wanted your opinion. Thanks!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  10:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Yep...new coat usually every 3 months..much like an angora. You would be able to just gently pull (or comb) tufts of it out..and the new coat will be coming in behind it. If you just leave it alone it will likely get matted and uncomfortable for the bunny. I would try to comb or gently pull it out. They usually love the grooming. You can spin the wool, by the way..nice stuff.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jul 31 2009 10:41:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  11:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Yes, you need to groom like Jenny said, other wise they can and will get furballs like cats from self grooming, and that can cause a blockage.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  4:14:50 PM  Show Profile
I love spinning Jersey Woolies - their fiber is incredible but they do need to be groomed and I might suggest that you add a slice of pear or papaya to their diet each day. This is a natural way to get rid of hairballs. Also, if you get them in the habit of being groomed you will have a much happier bunny which will live long and produce great fiber. Also, I would save little plastic water bottles or pop bottles and fill them with water, place in freezer and give your bunny a fresh frozen bottle each morning during the summer. They will be able to sit next to it and keep themselves cool. This can be a life saver for furry friends.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  4:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Yes I agree with these ladies. I have 2 rabbits, and they both had this same problem. So like they said, just brush him and the problem should go away. One time our rabbit was shedding very badly and got a hairball. at that time we were very new to having rabbits and did not know much. It was very bad and if my dad wasn't there to rub his tummy all night he might not be here today. We have now had them for almost 5 years and now brush them almost every day. Good Luck!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bunny question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page