southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  04:18:56 AM  Show Profile
Okay, a couple of days ago, we sent our steer to the butcher. That leaves Black Betty in the pasture all by herslf. (by the way the steers name was Jersey Mike) Anyway she has been bellowing for 2 days. My question is, should we find her another friend. I have Nigerian Dwarf goats. Do you think that they would be too small to be in the pasture with her? Right now we don't have any horses. If the goats are too small. should I get a horse to put in with her?
Any ideas?

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  04:59:32 AM  Show Profile
A cow does like to have friends. I guess you would have to play it by ear with the goats. I would certainly try.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  06:46:56 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it would be a problem with the goats. We had a cow when I was growing up and she was with the sheep all the time. Never bothered her or them - even when they lambed.

You could try the goats for an afternoon and see what happens.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  06:51:27 AM  Show Profile
Gena, I also have a steer and a heifer that have always been together. I know Mazie Mae is going to miss him when he's gone. I do have Lamancha goats that I will put in the pasture soon. They were raised with them, too. But I have thought about getting another cow or calf just for her to have company and keep her from wanting to get out and find a friend herself.

Have your goats been in with her yet? If not, I would be watching her behavior with them. Goats can run fast but cows are pretty quick, too. She may need something bigger.

Good luck. Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  07:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I think what I am really concerned with is the size of the goats. If I had a larger breed, I probably wouldn't worry as much. I have been thinking about getting a few Katahdin sheep. Do any of you have that breed of sheep?

Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  07:45:57 AM  Show Profile
I think the goats would be fine, just guessing here as I don't have goats or cows who are lonely :)

But that's how the saying 'get your goat' was started. Race horses used to have goats as compainions and if you wanted to play a dirty trick on someone at the racing stables, you would steal the horses goat.. then they wouldn't have a buddy and get nervous and such.
And I'm sure the goats aren't any smaller than calves when they are born, they should be fine.

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  07:50:35 AM  Show Profile
Come on girls! I was needing an excuse, so my DH would let me get sheep!

I will try the goats.

I will probably get sheep after we get home from our camping trip

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  08:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Well just get sheep anyway!! But really, I think goats and cows are a better combo. because cows eat the tops of the grass then the goats will eat down farther. Where sheep will eat all the way to the dirt.

Alise, I never knew that. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  4:50:03 PM  Show Profile
cattle, goats , sheep etc are herd/flock animals, they are much happier to have others to graze with, and I've mixed them up together always, right now have 6 heifers, 3 with calves, 10 goats all does, 6 ewes, and 2 ponies that all are together in my rotation pastures. The only time I seperate is when they are having or do have new babies.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  6:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, do you feed them all the same type of feed?

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  7:23:02 PM  Show Profile
Gena, they are all on pasture, and if they need some extra, they are feed a 3 way hay. I also have creeper pens with-in the pastures that the babies can get into for supplements if needed.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  7:45:00 PM  Show Profile
My cow Mona's best friend is a very small angora goat named Pearl. There are also two little Icelandic ewes in with her too. She would be very lonely without them. Pearl isn't much bigger (if any) than an ND goat.I bet it would work. If you do put sheep in with the cow you need to be more careful about the type of salt block and stuff (copper is toxic to them) and no calf mannna where they can get it either. Goats are easier that way..same feed. But it works.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  04:08:03 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try the Nigerians over the weekend.
I am still going to see if hubby will let me get Katahdin sheep. We have way too much grass since the horses are all gone.
Have any of you had Katahdin sheep?

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lonely cow. HELP! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page