Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I need a good coconut cake rcipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I need a good coconut cake rcipe Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  09:45:05 AM  Show Profile
I occasionally do wedding cakes on the side, and I have ben asked to do one for a friend whose wife-to-be wants coconut flavored layers. Does anyone have a good, tried and true recipe for coconut cake layers? Maybe in "Bulk" terms so I don't have to quadruple smaller recipes?
I have a few, but I want to look at some others before settling on a good one. Also, she is concerned about people being allergic to coconut - is that an issue, and could I use artificial flavor instead and still have it taste nice? I'm afraid I just don't have a lot of experience with coconut cake.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  10:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
mmm- coconut cake sounds wonderful!! I would love to make one too- on a smaller scale than a wedding cake of course!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Jul 31 2009 10:07:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  10:18:42 AM  Show Profile
I have one! I got this recipe from Cooking Light but don't let that fool you :) This is so good and makes a moist, and tasty cake :) Sorry I don't have a recipe in bulk. I think if she is concerned with allergic reactions to coconut she should probably opt for another flavor. Maybe just a white cake.

Double Coconut Cake

Cooking spray
One Tablespoon cake flour
Two ¼ cups sifted cake flour
2-¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3-cup butter, softened
Two large eggs
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
Fluffy coconut frosting
2/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat two (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; dust with one Tablespoon flour.
Combine 2 ¼ cups flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (for about 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap the pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
Place one cake layer on a plate; spread with 1 cup fluffy coconut frosting. Sprinkle with 1/3-cup coconut. Top with remaining cake layer, spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle 1/3-cup coconut over top of cake. Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.

Fluffy Coconut Frosting

Four large egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
Dash of salt
1-cup sugar
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon coconut extract

Place egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook. Without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 238 degrees. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed. Stir in extracts. Yield: about 4 cups

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  2:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! That looks almost too good to be allowed!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  7:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sharon this sounds delicious! My dad's favorite pie is coconut cream. I can't wait to try to make this cake for him.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  10:29:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Calicogirl

I have one! I got this recipe from Cooking Light but don't let that fool you :) This is so good and makes a moist, and tasty cake :)
By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

my wonderful hubby actually made this cake for me a while back, and it was WONDERFUL! The cake layers were so light and moist, and the frosting is i think what they call an italian meringue frosting - just wispy and light and just sweet enough - absolutely decadent!

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I need a good coconut cake rcipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: