Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 suggestions for making ice cream
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic suggestions for making ice cream Next Topic  

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  09:08:24 AM  Show Profile
i'm considering getting an ice cream maker, but wondered if the old fashioned ways of making it might work just as well. any suggestions? i get a tad frustrated with some of the new technology, like every bread maker i've owned stops working after about a year, so i've resorted to making it the old fashioned way. is it worth buying an ice cream maker? do they last long enough to be worth the buy? any suggestions are appreciated!

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  09:25:04 AM  Show Profile
I have the crank one from the Lehman's catalog. It has been awesome for us, lasted a long time. We usually let kids crank the first little bit, and then the ladies, and then at the very end the men (it gets real hard right before it's ready!!). Good luck, ice cream sounds like good for desert tonight....

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  09:36:51 AM  Show Profile
I think the hand crank ones are really cute; but if you don't have a lot of people nearby to help crank it, you've got quite the workout ahead of you! I use an electric one that is my Mom's that she bought in the 70's and that thing is still going strong! Then I got another older one from my mother-in-law also. I haven't used it yet. I think you'll be very pleased if you purchase one that is good quality; it should last a while if not abused. Check freecycle or craigslist; or frequent some yard sales.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  09:37:09 AM  Show Profile
I have a Donvier, which is a canister you freeze. Mine is about 22 years old and I love it. It works well for me.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:21:28 PM  Show Profile
roxy, with the canister you freeze, do you just mix up the ingredients by hand and just stick the canister in the freezer? no cranking?

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:55:29 PM  Show Profile
I used to have an electric one but got tired of the ice and rock salt so I bought a new one from Cuisinart. You freeze the canister for 6 to 8 hours in a plastic bag. Then add your favorite recipe and turn it on for 25 minutes and you have soft serve. It is delicious and easy.

Marjean

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards and jewelry, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
jeanpatch.wordpress.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150

Edited by - marjean on Jul 21 2009 1:07:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  1:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I have a Cuisinart ICE20 1.5 Quart ice cream maker - you freeze the canister - super easy and makes great frozen treats. I got mine on ebay - I love it!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  2:01:45 PM  Show Profile
I have an old hand crank ice cream maker I bought at an antique store in Wheaton, WY. I absolutely love that thing, makes the best ice cream ever. I've never had any luck with the electric ones. The electric ice cream makers I've used in the past didn't seem to have a strong enough motor to keep churning the ice cream when it started to set and they always seemed to freeze around the sides of the canister. Just my opinion though.

Hosana is right, the older electric ones worked much better than the cheapie electric ones they sell in places like (dare I say???) Wal-Mart.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  8:28:25 PM  Show Profile
On mine you freeze the canister and then add all of your chilled ingredients. Over the course of 15-20 minutes you turn it a bit every 2-3 minutes. Its then soft serve. You then take the paddle out and can let it get har din the canister or put it into another bowl for the freezer.
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  06:28:10 AM  Show Profile
We have an old hand crank wooden bucket ice cream maker (1 1/2 gallon canister)
Got it at a yard sale guess maybe 8+ years ago for 5 bucks
( really lucked out on the price) In my opinion it is the best and only way to go.

We have a plastic bucket hand crank and a plastic bucket electric. They work, but take so long to freeze up. And the electric ones sometimes don't handle the salt well and the rust up and then don't work. With any of them you need to really clean everything well cause salt really eats metal.
This old wooden bucket we have from start to finish we can have it churned in 28 min. Then we let it sit covered in the bucket till ready to eat. Help it set up a bit more. The kids have a ball with it at first and then when it gets harder the adults take over.

My dad always said turning fast means nothing. A steady even pace is best. And he is right, going fast just makes your arm tired and gets you no where fast.
And adding lots of rock salt is the key to it freezing up. We put a layer of ice then rock salt and continue this way till we have the bucket filled around the canister.

My vote would be for a wooden bucket hand crank.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  11:09:44 AM  Show Profile
I have one I'm barter for if you are still looking.

Marjean

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards and jewelry, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
jeanpatch.wordpress.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic suggestions for making ice cream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page