Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Future "Farmgirls of the Mitten" Flings!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Future "Farmgirls of the Mitten" Flings! Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:57:32 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it amazing how fast the summer slips away from us? I'm sitting here at my desk, staring at my calendar and wondering where the time went. It has already been nearly three months since our last fling!

The "old bean" has been working overtime, trying to come up with new ideas for get-togethers. Some of the ideas I've been kicking around:
  • A home-canning class. Someone told me that sometimes extension offices offer them, and if there's sufficient interest I'd be happy to contact MSU's ag extension office here to see if one can be arranged. Hmmm...I'm thinking apple pie filling recipe from MaryJane's Lifebook....
  • An end of summer / beginning of fall trip. Does anyone know of a good cider mill?
  • Road trip! CJ mentioned that there is a Crafts2000 near her, and I know how "crafty" some of you gals are!
  • I've been sitting on an article about a Farmgirl-ish "prairie party" I cut out of a magazine ages ago, and I'd love to host one.
  • Anybody have a quilt top that needs quilting? What about an old-fashioned quilting bee?
  • How 'bout getting together to knock out some badges? Lend a Hand to Families, Lend a Hand to Farm Families, and Get 'er Done are all good candidates.
    I'm really interested in hearing what rings ya'll's bells...let's get something going!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  11:00:41 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like so much fun! Wish I was closer so I could join in! Thanks for sharing the great ideas. Tammy

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  11:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jessie, you've really been brainstorming! I wish I was closer to everyone!!! My dh is getting laid off again in August so I probably won't be able to do much traveling:( - although I can help you out with a great cider mill down the road from me...Cranes Orchard, restaurant, gift shop, lots of pick your own or buy it picked and they also have various things going on throughout the year...fall is the giant corn maze!

Take care!!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  07:27:40 AM  Show Profile
JessieMae just where are you getting all this energy and how do I get some???? Those all sound too fun. I feel like I'm in college again just thinking about fun stuff to do with friends.

You can "can" apple pie filling??? Yummo. I've only done tomatoes and salsa. I've been thinking about getting a dehydrator for blueberries and cherries. Have to work quick though on both. Local grocery has organic cherries at 2.00 a box now. I could just freeze em I suppose. I'd be interested in that. What a great holiday gift! I'm on the everything handmade road for xmas.

Hey Melissa I remember Cranes! I don't remember them having their own restaurant and what not. (but then again, I'm old...LOL) Jessi has a cider mill of her own up there in St. John's too. We've got a little one near us. Very old. Water powered even...

I'm up for any of those ideas.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  08:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it amazing what a woman can accomplish who has no life? :) No kids, no career....

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  08:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, that sounds wonderful. I wonder if someday you'd have an Honorary Farmgirl of the Mitten who used to live near the index finger :)...I'd sure love to participate in some of the things you've mentioned!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  08:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Jessie Mae,
Love all of your ideas especially the Prairie Party.
Also, read your article in the cluck. I think Leezard has someone in her family that sells pastured beef.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile
My article was in the Cluck? I'll have to check it out. I was saving it, but I'm putting work aside for the moment!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  09:45:12 AM  Show Profile
What's a "cluck"?
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile
Jessie we have a wonderful orchard down this way called Erie Orchards they have everything you could want...apples,peaches,whatever's in season for pick your own.They also have a store and gift shop where you can by already picked,fresh homemade cider and donuts,homemade jams,etc... including candy(even some retro)and plenty of gift items to decorate with.My family goes down there at least once during the late summer to pick peaches(the best) and or apples.We could do that along with crafts 2000,or don't forget we have a wonderful coffee house downtown,with the best selection of coffees and teas as well as baked goods(the cheese cake is to die for)and soup,sandwiches etc...they also own and are attached to a coney island resturant and bakery that are owned by the same family(you can walk through from one to the other inside)The coffee house is called Cafe Classics and the last few days each week they have local musicians come in and play...it's alot of fun.
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  2:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi T,
The "Cluck" is Mary Janes monthly newsletter. I'll see if the link works here:

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/farmgirl-connection/newsletter/2009-08-01.pdf

Alice
Danbury, Connecticut

Farmgirl #12
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  03:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Guess I'm just out of the coop...I mean "loop" LOL
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  03:38:02 AM  Show Profile
Nice read...Great comments JessieMae

Cj!!!! I am so glad you posted!!! You don't have an email address/contact. Please contact me. I was wondering if you needed some books/school stuff for your kids. I'm about to de-clutter a long term "stash" of teacher stuff/books/supplies. I'd be happy to drive them down to you. email me!

(Sorry JessieMae for stealing your thread for a minute....)
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Future "Farmgirls of the Mitten" Flings! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page