Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Great Story about Doula assisted birth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Great Story about Doula assisted birth Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  07:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://www.happynews.com/news/7272009/exceptional%20birth%20experience.htm
JULY 27, 2009
Birth, one of the most important events in a woman’s life, was even better than expected for a local Austin mother with her doula by her side.

Simone and Garret Traverse entered Seton Medical Center of Austin, Texas with Shelley Scotka by her side. Traverse hired Scotka earlier in her pregnancy to enhance her birth experience, educate her, and provide support to her and her husband during the anticipated birth of their son.

Of her role as a doula, Scotka says, "For me, the role of the doula replaces what modern medicine has taken away from women in childbirth. In years past, women were always surrounded by other loving, caring women during birth. Because most mothers give birth in hospitals nowadays, that element of a caring, comforting woman providing continuous physical and emotional support has been removed. A doula fills the gap where doctors and nurses leave off."

Traverse has a genetic blood disorder which lead her to choose not to use a common analgesia, epidural during her labor. She knew she needed extra support.

A doula enhances a woman’s confidence in her own abilities to labor. The father’s role is also enhanced when a doula guides him through the normal process of labor and birth. His confidence is boosted and he is able to devote his attention where it matters most. Studies show that a doula’s presence at the birth experience enhances the parents’ positive perception of their birth and enables mothers to use less medication, while improving outcomes for mothers and babies. The Travers family certainly were satisfied, so satisfied in fact they nominated their doula for a $25,000 award from Advance America www.AdvanceAmerica.net in their Who is There for You campaign, recognizing hard working Americans for the differences they make in people’s lives.

With a cesarean section rate approaching 32% nationwide (CDC), an effort is being made to discover why fewer infants of healthy mothers die in vaginal birth than in cesarean section (CDC). Researchers are beginning to identify alternatives to medical interventions. “Given the clear benefits and no known risks associated with intrapartum support, every effort should be made to ensure all labouring women receive support, not only from those close to them but also from specially trained caregivers. This support should include continuous presence, the provision of hands-on comfort, and encouragement.” (Cochrane Review)

For more information about doulas visit DONA International, www.DONA.org

Shelley Scotka is a Certified Doula and Childbirth Educator living in Round Rock, Texas. She is one of the founding members of Central Texas Doula Association: centxdoulas.org. She can be reached by email at shelley.scotka(at)gmail.com

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Pretty neat,Alee. My mom is a doula, a childbrith educator, and a certified nurse midwife. She does births at home. I grew up around this, ans always like to see folks supporting it.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  8:23:04 PM  Show Profile
I had a doula with my first baby. :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  06:34:17 AM  Show Profile
That's a nice article, Alee. I interviewed a doula and midwife but didn't feel the "connection" I had hoped for. And, after further discussion, Jus wasn't at all comfortable with it. And honestly, after the scare we had the week prior to her birth and the problems I had with delivery, I was glad that I was in the hospital. Honestly, after meeting my OB for the first time, I trusted him implicitly (which is weird, because I'd seen a femal doc for the last 15 years and never thought I'd change to the "other side"), and the hospital that we delivered at is one of the top 10 in the nation for deliveries. Perhaps I'm one of the luckier ones in that regard...I NEVER felt pushed or that my wishes were ignored, or that I was intimidated into making my decision to have a c-section. After all, what was our goal? To have a healthy baby, and to be healthy myself and we accomplished this :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  3:20:45 PM  Show Profile
I work in L&D, and I love it when my patients choose to have a doula with them. Their labor goes smoother and most of the doulas offer aftercare once the mom and babe goes home. Our c section rate is almost 40%, and this number just continues to grow. I think a gift of a doula is wonderful, expensive but you cannot put a price on such a wonerful experience. I know there are bad doulas out there but my experience has always been good, and I have been at this for many years

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Great Story about Doula assisted birth Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page