Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Swine Flu Vaccanations...Would you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Swine Flu Vaccanations...Would you? Next Topic  

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  1:23:06 PM  Show Profile
I am concerned with how quickly the goverment wants to mass produce this immunization, and was reading about how they really want pregnant women to get these immunizations first. That scares me, I did read that pregnant women get this type of flu easily, but taking something that hasn't been proven long term is just makes me uncomfortable. Just wonderin' what ya all's opinion is.

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  1:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Well...honestly, I'm a bit spooked by it all, so my opinion is probably way biased. We just had 3 people die in the last month here, locally (well, Indiana, but still 20 minutes from my home). Noone seems to know how this young man (18) and his sister and an unrelated individual came in contact with it, so that's frightening to me.

Having said that, I was pregnant during the "regular" flu season last year and didn't ever get around to getting my shot. Of course, I never DO get a flu shot, but I probably should have. We all made it through :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  2:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
The couple of times I got the "regular" flu shot I got the flu much worse than I do if I don't get the shot. Actually very rarely ever get sick. I will probably just opt not to get the shot.

A couple of years ago, when I was still working at the nursing home doing laundry, we had an awful, horrible case of the flu come through the home. It took probably close to three weeks and two rounds go through the home before we finally got it under control. Everyone there said I looked like Darth Vadar but I told them that there was no way I was going to catch that crud, give it to my babies at home and miss work. Out of the horrible experience and 100-200 people that came through that building there was only about 7 of us that didn't get it, I was one.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  2:41:46 PM  Show Profile
I would not take the vacine especially at this time. There's way too much we don't know about the whole thing. I take vitamin D3,5,000 units a day from fall till spring by my Dr.'s orders. I also don't shop much during the winter when all of the crud goes around. I have found getting enough sleep has about as much to do with getting sick as anything else. If I have to go without sleep and get really stressed I immediately get cold sores and sometimes colds or whatever is going around. But, no I don't really trust just any vaccine.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  3:02:24 PM  Show Profile
I agree with peapicker, I rarely get the flu and I work in a hospital. I take a zinc supplement, have for years and I think that makes a huge diffrence. It's just the basics wash your hands often, sleep, eat well.

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  3:35:50 PM  Show Profile
I noticed an article in yesterday's paper how the province was putting in their "order" for vaccinations. Three days ago I read another article that said there had been a couple of deaths from H1N1 mutations and that they would have been resistant to the vaccine.
Part of me thinks of this as a HUGE cash grab for the pharmaceutical company making the vaccine, but I hate to be so cynical.
I have two daughters both in the medical field...one as a paramedic and one that works in emerg. Both say, at this point, that they will not get it.
It's a hard call on this one, but I certainly won't be first in line.
Di
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  4:23:57 PM  Show Profile
What's really scary is that they are saying that the swine flu and the bird flu could very easily combine, then what would we do??? We would end up with "PIGS THAT FLY", heheheh

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  4:25:55 PM  Show Profile
To be serious now, hell no, I would not get one, and neither will any of my family, we are spread from Tennesee, Missouri, to California.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  6:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Flying pigs, that's good

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  7:23:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm still on the fence with this one. I did not get the swine flu the first time around years ago. But I was a lot younger then. I have gotten a flu shot the last few years and have been fine with that. I have only had the flu once in my life and it was horrible. After that I got the flu shots and I've never had it since. I will talk to my Dr. and see what he thinks.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  7:28:51 PM  Show Profile
The only company in the US that makes the vaccine is not approved by the FDA! It is in Illinois I believe. They are working around the clock to make the vaccine, most of which is being sent to the world health organization to be shipped around the world. All the vaccines being used in the US are being shipped in from somewhere else! HOWS that for CRAZY! I will not get the vaccine. I also dont get the one for the regular flu because the one time someone convinced me to get it I got the flu REALLY bad THREE times that year!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

PineConeAcres
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  9:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Um..ya'll should research the LAST time they made a vaccines for the swine flu. More people got ill or died from the vaccine itself than the actual sickness.
Go to Top of Page

bevibrant
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Kayla
Potlatch IDAHO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  05:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Can I just shout it out...No I would NOT! Seriously though, this is a sore spot for me because they are talking about "mandatory" which really gets me hot. If I want to take a chance at getting sick, that's up to me. Anyone who's had the vaccine shouldn't be afraid of me! --Stepping off my soap box now. lol

Kayla Howard
Farmgirl Sister #588
www.bevibrant.us
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  06:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, are there some independnt thinkers on this thread or what? I was shocked when my last grandchild was born and I found out how many immunizations they recommended for babies. No wonder we have little ones with so many problems and they can't seem to find out whats wrong.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  11:38:54 AM  Show Profile
I am not sure if I were pregnant if I would take it or not.
I guess you would have to trust your doctor
Being Diabetic type 2 and high blood pressure/
plus other conditions and diseases
I have to take those shots.
But,
Last year I got the stomach flu
right after having my breast mammogram.
2 days before Halloween .
I was so sick hubby had to take me to the Hospital
I hope I never have the stomach flu again
I have had it before
I thought I was going to die this time it was so bad.
Good luck on what ever you decide to do.
it is hard I know, hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Swine Flu Vaccanations...Would you? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page