Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  6:22:22 PM  Show Profile
I knew it was coming..I have tried everything else. Today my ortho doc scheduled me for total knee replacement surgery on my left knee. UGH. Anyone have any advice or experiences? I am having the surgery on August 18th. I am a little nervous. I can't keep being in pain all the time, but will have to be off work (I work at an elementary school) and not able to do alot of my regular chores for awhile..that won't be easy.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  6:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,
I've never had to have that before, but my Grandmother did. She did really well with it though. The best thing she said she did was rest when she was tired. Her replacement weighed quite a bit, so it took some time getting used to thinking about compensating for that.

I am sure your surgery will go beautifully, and you can count on Hubby and I to be praying you through!! :D
Don't be nervous! God's already has it all taken care of!

HUGS!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  6:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, no advice other than take it easy and let people help as much as possible. I can't imagine having to have that done but I know you will be so much better later. I will be thinking of you, too. I wish I lived closer. I'd help milk Mona for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  7:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, my husband had a total knee replacement almost three years ago. It took him about a year to get back to normal. You will need lots of help for a couple of months at least. He had an iceman that had to be filled with ice about every three to four hours. He used it for a couple of weeks at least. I always refilled it so I did't get much rest for a while either. He had pain meds that worked really good, though. My advice is plan to do nothing yourself, accept all the help that comes your way, take your pain pills before you think you can't stand it anymore, and make sure you go to physical therapy so you will be able to get back to normal. The knee surgery has come so far and I think you will be fine. Keep us informed though. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  7:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Jenny
I know quite a few people that have had this & for the most part, they all seem to do quite well... I know your personality & you will do FINE!!! Plus, what a great excuse to buy the best yarn, fabric etc, to knit & embroider to your heart's content!
Will be praying for you daily! I know you will do great & be running after Mona in no time.
Oh, yeah, my neighbors 80+ YO grandma had this done & was so tickled that she could once again tend to all of her animals in her barn, that she had the other done, so she could get on her barn roof & do some repairs!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:24:37 PM  Show Profile
I will have to eventually have the other one done too..right now it isn't bothering me, but it is also bone on bone so it is a matter of time. This one is alot worse...lots of bone spurs too. sigh. We go on vacation the week before my surgery so I will have 6 days right before to get alot done as needed. Mona will be dry during my recovery time since I am already working on that now. Good thing I guess. I am just trying to figure out how to get my canning done. I may be at the kitchen table with my cutting board and knife having the girls hand me things. I guess this is the year they learn how to can, right?

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jenny- I think that would be wonderful for your daughters and a great way to spend some wonderful one-on-one time with you!

Has your doctor given you a projected reovery plan yet? Do you know how long you will have to stay off your feet?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  9:36:55 PM  Show Profile
He said 6 to 12 weeks until I can go back to my part time job..and not to count on it before at least 8 weeks...closer to 12 would me more reasonable unless I want to go back in a wheelchair. Yeah right! I don't think so. I will hope for 8 weeks and plan on it maybe being as long as 12 weeks for that. I will have physical therapy but I am not sure when that will start. I need to get more details. He said 3 to 4 days in the hospital and that I won't feel like doing anything at all for a couple weeks. I plan to let it heal, but I plan to get things done too. I will just use my helpers more I guess. (the kids) good thing they arn't toddlers!! 12-14 year olds can be some help. I plan to get dinners in the freezer and as many things prepped ahead as I can.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,

My husband has had two knee replacements. These are some of the things we learned. Physical Therapy - very important. The hardest thing was getting the knee to be totally straight again. Bending it was easy, straightening it was harder. A stationary bicycle helps a lot. For ice his last therapist recommended this. It is much cleaner and colder than ice. Take a large ziploc bag and fill it with Karo Syrup. Push out all the air and zip it shut. Put it inside a second ziploc bag and push out all the air. Put it in the freezer. It will not freeze solid, but boy does it get cold, and it forms around your knee. No mess, no drips. Do it with two bags and then you always have one freezing while you are using the other. He was walking with a walker soon after he came home. The critical thing is the pain of course and you will probably be on blood thinners for a little while to prevent clots. Don't baby your knee too much, let the pain be your guide. The more movement you have, the easier the rehab will be. And your therapist should teach you how to go up and down stairs. The rule is up the stairs with the good leg first, down the stairs with the bad leg first.

Good luck with your surgery.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Only a peace between equals can last. Woodrow Wilson

Edited by - quilt8305 on Jul 21 2009 10:38:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Every one that I know who has had this done has reported feeling much better, after getting through the healing part. I am sure you will do fine, I think it will be hard for you, you are such a busy and productive woman. I certainly can relate to the pain part, that is no fun. I am going to make Karo syrup packages for my shoulders, thanks for the tip Mary!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  2:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Mary..for the idea about the Karo syrup ice packs. I think I will make one today!!! I always use a bag of frozen peas and we call it "the pea bag"..sounds bad...and after about a week I throw it out and have to buy another bag of peas. I always make sure THAT pea bag is marked not to use..haha. I am glad to know about the Karo bag!! It is always nice to get tips from people who have been there!
I didnt' know that about the stairs either...stairs hurt alot now..especially going down!
I have a stationary bike lined up already..so I will be doing that for sure.My doc told me that and swimming would be great. I live 7 miles from the nearest indoor pool (the local pool closes labor day weekend since all the high school kids go back to school and there are no lifeguards) so I can't get to it every day. I do plan on MAKING time for swimming though.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  3:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mary- Awesome idea about the Karo Syrup! I had never thought of that before! I think I will make some up just to have on hand!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  3:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I've been threatened by knee replacement and have put it off thus far. I'm 67 and I don't want to have it done. I have a dear friend that had both knees replaced (at separate times) and she is younger than I am. She has told me that your knees will tell you when it is time, so I am going along with what she said. If you are in constant pain, then something should be done, but it's your choice. I can understand your fear.

I don't think the surgery is that bad--it's the rehab and therefore you will have to do all the work your therapist tells you to. I didn't finish rehab after I had knee surgery (not replacement) and a daunting infection. Therefore, my knee doesn't bend as far as the other.

Take care of yourself.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  06:50:06 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, (and Betty)

There is a gentleman in our church who just turned 88. Last year he had Knee replacement surgery and is doing awesome! Don't be afraid or discouraged, from what I understand the surgeries are much better now. Oh swimming will be wonderful Jenny! I will be praying for you!

Mary, what a great idea with the Karo Syrup! I am going to try that.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile
My niece is 23 and had Knee replacement surgery about a year and a half ago. She was back to doing regular stuff after about nine months but couldn't go all out. Now she has flare ups once in a while if she does too much. Anything that does not stress the joint while exercising will be good for it but listen to your doctor.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  3:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jenny!! I just thought of something!! Email me when you get a chance. Hubby had some minor knee surgery in Nov & he got this super cool machine.. (we still have it)..It is a cooler you put ice water in & then it has a tube that goes to your knee with a wrap & blows cool air on continuously! It was so much easier than ice packs! Anyway, email me & I will give you details!.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  6:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Jenny:
I will keep you on my prayer list. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

meander
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

mary
noblesville indiana
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  7:51:11 PM  Show Profile
Jenny hello Iam new to this but saw that you are having a knee replacement.
I am a surgical tech and work in the OR on a daily basis.
Just did 5 total knees this week.
Best advice is to get as healthy as possible prior to surgery. ie drink lots of water and exercise (if mobility is limited do some floor exercising.) Your recovery will be smoother.

meandering through the day...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:41:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Mary. I drink tons of water..not much else..it is my favorite...and I have been trying to do as much exercise as possible. Thanks so much! I wish I had just a little longer to get ready..but I know I will be glad to have it over with.
Welcome to the group by the way! You will love it here.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  03:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful idea about the karo syrup. We always had cold packs for our rehab patients at the nursing home where I worked but this is a super idea for at home care for anyone. I'll keep you in my prayers Aunt Jenny. I know you'll do very well. Not much I can add to what has already been said.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Knee surgery Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page